Sbc timing chain install

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tracyracin
Sbc timing chain install

Post by tracyracin »

Does it matter if I'm on the compression stroke for tdc? Installing with odd side head on and I have #6 cyl at tdc. I need to know if it matters which stroke it's on when lining up the dots. Thanks
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Sbc timing chain install

Post by GARY C »

I believe dot to dot is #6 compression stroke and when rotated to #1 both dots are in the up position.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
tracyracin

Post by tracyracin »

Since I can't see number 1 cyl I'm trying to use number 6 as a guide.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

tracyracin wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 pm Since I can't see number 1 cyl I'm trying to use number 6 as a guide.
1 and 6 have the same TDC
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
tracyracin

Post by tracyracin »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 pm
tracyracin wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 pm Since I can't see number 1 cyl I'm trying to use number 6 as a guide.
Okay good. But do i need to make sure I'm on the right stroke when lining up the dots?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

tracyracin wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:45 pm
GARY C wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 pm
Okay good. But do i need to make sure I'm on the right stroke when lining up the dots?
It's been a while but if I recall the dot on the crank is up on #6 compression and down on #1, I think I said that wrong earlier. Set it up and see.
Please Note!
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

if your replacing the chain on an already running engine, remove the cover, roll it over so the gears are dot to dot and replace.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

tracyracin wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:45 pm Okay good. But do i need to make sure I'm on the right stroke when lining up the dots?
No, the cam determines which is the compression stroke, you just have to index it correctly to the common TDC position of cylinders 1 & 6. To be clear, if you had the driver's side head off you'd see the #1 piston also at TDC.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hi Gary,
It was said correctly in an earlier post, when the dot on the crank is up, #1 and #6 are both at TDC, when the dot on the crank points at the dot on the cam gear, it is #6 compression. When the crank dot is up and the cam dot is up, it is on compression #1. :)

edit. Sorry Bill, just noticed you already said that.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:07 pm Hi Gary,
It was said correctly in an earlier post, when the dot on the crank is up, #1 and #6 are both at TDC, when the dot on the crank points at the dot on the cam gear, it is #6 compression. When the crank dot is up and the cam dot is up, it is on compression #1. :)

edit. Sorry Bill, just noticed you already said that.
Thanks for clarifying, I remember we never thought about it until we thought about it and then it became confusing when it didn't need to be. :)
Please Note!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 pm
Thanks for clarifying, I remember we never thought about it until we thought about it and then it became confusing when it didn't need to be. :)
Hahaha, we only had to stab ONE distributor 180 out :lol:
-Carl
tracyracin

Post by tracyracin »

GLHS60 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:20 pm Exactly, dot to dot, the rotor points to # 6, and # 1 valves are on overlap.

Both dots up, the rotor points at # 1, and # 6 valves are on overlap.

If you can get comfortable recognizing overlap, it comes easy.

Thanks
Randy

Okay so as long as I do dot to dot I'm good to go? I guess I'm just second guessing myself. Have alot riding on this engine and I'm very novice. Lol
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 pm
GARY C wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 pm
Hahaha, we only had to stab ONE distributor 180 out :lol:
Yeah, in the early day's of cam swap you just lined up the dots before taking out the old cam and never thought about TDC or Compression stroke, then one night a friend called me with this question and I had to go out and mock up a short block so i could answer the question. This is one of those times when more knowledge causes unnecessary confusion. :)
Please Note!
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

tracyracin wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm Okay so as long as I do dot to dot I'm good to go? I guess I'm just second guessing myself. Have alot riding on this engine and I'm very novice. Lol
I assume you are trying to degree the cam based on #6? If so, it's close enough. Of course we don't know how well the crank is indexed and blah blah blah. Carry on. :D

Oops, internet vomit worm can. 8)
-Carl
tracyracin

Post by tracyracin »

In-Tech wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 pm
tracyracin wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:31 pm Okay so as long as I do dot to dot I'm good to go? I guess I'm just second guessing myself. Have alot riding on this engine and I'm very novice. Lol
I assume you are trying to degree the cam based on #6? If so, it's close enough. Of course we don't know how well the crank is indexed and blah blah blah. Carry on. :D

Oops, internet vomit worm can. 8)
I had a hex-adjust bushing come apart and I took the timing chain off with out even thinking about the dots. The passenger head is off due to a damaged valve. So I'm using 6 to find tdc. But now that I think about it it's really not needed? I wrote down the bushing setting for 4 degree advance from when I degreeed the cam in weeks ago.