D3 NASCAR head

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blykins
Guru
Guru

Re: D3 NASCAR head

Post by blykins »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 am Mark says for anything over 800 use the pro port or kaase 400 (im thinking i should really listen to the guy who builds the product).He did say some Aussie builders have a program for the 225 head to get close. If its not the hi port you will struggle to hit 700. Im thinking your heads Brent started as these then you upped the valve size for more curtain area. The 240+ cc is a lot bigger than mine and the curtain area is bigger. That would obviously make for more hp on same cube motor.
Or you could listen to the guys who build these engines every day, who are trying giving you advice.... ;)

We start with 225cc heads. Doesn't take much. My heads with the CNC port are not the same as the Pro Port or Kaase head.

Do some research on wave harmonics. Runner length is a major component of that, as well as CSA. It's all based off the rpms you want to turn, the size of the engine, etc. There would be different lengths depending on the track, whether it's a short track, long track, if you need lower rpm response (road course), etc.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Steve K......wave tuning gets into the picture, uh-oh i opened up that can. :mrgreen: Mark H.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 am
Steve.k wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:11 pm

X3 ...
Do you want to elaborate on this? Do the nascar boys have specific length they use?How do they achieve their set lengths.Im thinking for the basically same size engines this would nearly be all the same would it not?
Cross-section, along with velocity, are the most useful measures.
Volume will change with the length of the port and the shape of the valve backside.
Walter I understand all that. I guess i was asking a general question. I have access to some d3 heads so just curious on set up. I understand most of these heads a built to specific engines and usage. So if you have a 358 cube NASCAR engine peaking at 9000 on bigger displacement they will make around the same hp but lower rpm range.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

blykins wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:17 am
Steve.k wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 am Mark says for anything over 800 use the pro port or kaase 400 (im thinking i should really listen to the guy who builds the product).He did say some Aussie builders have a program for the 225 head to get close. If its not the hi port you will struggle to hit 700. Im thinking your heads Brent started as these then you upped the valve size for more curtain area. The 240+ cc is a lot bigger than mine and the curtain area is bigger. That would obviously make for more hp on same cube motor.
Or you could listen to the guys who build these engines every day, who are trying giving you advice.... ;)

We start with 225cc heads. Doesn't take much. My heads with the CNC port are not the same as the Pro Port or Kaase head.

Do some research on wave harmonics. Runner length is a major component of that, as well as CSA. It's all based off the rpms you want to turn, the size of the engine, etc. There would be different lengths depending on the track, whether it's a short track, long track, if you need lower rpm response (road course), etc.
I have no reason to doubt Marks expertise. Theres a reason why he tells me what he did. He said some have programs to get the hp series head close. But sounds to me to best option is the the latter two.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

I'd say they make more money off the latter two and some of the guys on my forum haven't had much luck out of the Pro Ports.

You can get there easily with a 225cc head.....just sayin'. We get right at 390-400 cfm with a 240cc port.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Small ports are for guys that can't afford proper valve motions! Hahaha :D
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 am Cross-section, along with velocity, are the most useful measures.
And with or without burr finish? :D :oops:
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 pm Small ports are for guys that can't afford proper valve motions! Hahaha :D
How do you speed up a sewer pipe?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Mr. Blykins....on that 240cc port flowing 390 to 400 CFM....what is the measurement from the floor of the port to the deck surface ? Mark H.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Adam...3000 more RPM s
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

swampbuggy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:31 pm Adam...3000 more RPM s
HAHA!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:51 am
Steve.k wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am
Do you want to elaborate on this? Do the nascar boys have specific length they use?How do they achieve their set lengths.Im thinking for the basically same size engines this would nearly be all the same would it not?
Walter I understand all that. I guess i was asking a general question. I have access to some d3 heads so just curious on set up. I understand most of these heads a built to specific engines and usage. So if you have a 358 cube NASCAR engine peaking at 9000 on bigger displacement they will make around the same hp but lower rpm range.
Not necessarily true ... their port size will be large enough to supply a larger engine at the lower RPM however, RPM is a multiplier in the horsepower equation so, the larger engine may not make the same horsepower in the end but, possibly close.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Speaking of sewer pipes did a cast iron 429cj head that had over 300cc and flowed 385. It had no problem hitting mid 800. Hmm makes ya wonder.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:43 pm Speaking of sewer pipes did a cast iron 429cj head that had over 300cc and flowed 385. It had no problem hitting mid 800. Hmm makes ya wonder.
But the length and width of the port determines the cc! And means nothing comparing......
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Well that could be. What head would you recommend to say 850 hp. That would be interesting to hear.