Sbf intake bolt holes

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bobalattie
Sbf intake bolt holes

Post by bobalattie »

Anyone else experience this and what is the work around to fix it and how do I keep it from happening in the future.. this is the 2nd time this has happened to me..

Would jb weld be a suitable repair?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Re: Sbf intake bolt holes

Post by BILL-C »

I've had to fix many of those damaged bosses by tig brazing. Many times the threads are not complete at the bottom of the boss, so if you put a bolt in that is even 1 thread too long it will damage the boss.
Carlquist Competition Engines
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

My problem last year was half the threads pulling out after a few years due to the ARP intake manifold studs being to short. The threaded end of the studs was only 1/2 inch and after a years worth of expansion/contraction the fastener torque was gone along with the threads in the aluminum head.

My solution was to drill and tap the head intake holes to 3/8-16 and make my own studs with full 3/4 inch thread engagement which the heads have material for. They hold the torque much better!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Tightening the bolts to more than the Ford specified 18/22 foot pounds is what usually causes this to happen.
Weld aluminum or braze cast iron then put a heli-coil in it.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
bobalattie

Post by bobalattie »

I was using the arp studs and I agree the coarse threaded end that goes in the head isn’t long enough..

I wasn’t even to 18 ft/lb and the stud began to turn instead of the nut and became a wedge splitting the head meaterial..

These 4 particular holes will get studs with full thread engagement in the future..
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I torque to 18 ft. lbs. max now and the larger 3/8th studs hold that torque better than the stock 5/16th stud.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 pm Tightening the bolts to more than the Ford specified 18/22 foot pounds is what usually causes this to happen.
Weld aluminum or braze cast iron then put a heli-coil in it.
This. Proper tightening sequence and good torque wrench.