Sideways mounted carb

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Sideways mounted carb

Post by psychomotors »

Maybe a dumb question but what would be the benefit? I have seen a very few cars that were drag raced set up this way. I can't remember which type , but I'm thinking double pumpers and in a single carb situation. Thanks.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Re: Sideways mounted carb

Post by groberts101 »

WAG.. maybe improved fuel control of floats and AFR?
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Sideways carbs are pretty common on tunnel rams.
Had a Super Stock Cleveland with a ported Strip Dominator which made more power with the throttle plates partially closed. Tried mounting the carburetor sideways to see if it would help.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Brasswell is big on mounting single carbs on cast single carb intakes sideways. I know a couple guys who have used their carbs, mounted sideways, and it didn't make a difference. One lost performance, but to be fair, he went from a pro systems sv1 on q16, to the smaller CFM brasswell, mounted sideways on c14. And he couldn't understand why. #-o. They actually told him it should be faster.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

The main reason you see a pair double pumpers mounted sideways on a tunnel ram is on some motors they won't fit mounted front to back and on the rest it provides easier access to the float bowls for jet changes
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

tresi wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:32 pm The main reason you see a pair double pumpers mounted sideways on a tunnel ram is on some motors they won't fit mounted front to back and on the rest it provides easier access to the float bowls for jet changes
YES ...

The original intent of mounting a Holley sideways was that it became a lot easier for changing jets at the track.

Then fuel control with a side hung float became a plus in some situations.

Most of the time it will require nearly "one to one" throttle opening unless the carb is spaced really high.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 pm
tresi wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:32 pm The main reason you see a pair double pumpers mounted sideways on a tunnel ram is on some motors they won't fit mounted front to back and on the rest it provides easier access to the float bowls for jet changes
YES ...

The original intent of mounting a Holley sideways was that it became a lot easier for changing jets at the track.

Then fuel control with a side hung float became a plus in some situations.

Most of the time it will require nearly "one to one" throttle opening unless the carb is spaced really high.
Yeah, I get that too. That's why I asked about a single carb installation. Thanks guys , still clear as mud. :lol:
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
GeraldS

Post by GeraldS »

A question here regarding sideways carb mounting, specifically with a 6-71. I have a 354 Chrysler Hemi that I plan to build and recently had my 6-71 completely polished and re-machined, sealed, etc. The guy that did my blower told me on a street motor, you do not to want to turn the carbs sideways. He said this is because the blower packs air on the outsides of the case, and sideways carbs will result in fuel on one side of the case and not the other, unless the secondaries are opened. This seems to make perfect sense to me. Since I can't afford a Hilborn or other electronic hat style injection, I will either use Edelbrocks or smaller Holleys that can be mounted conventionally. Do I have agreement here, or am I missing something?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Off topic, but I like the idea of mounting 2 Q-Jets in line and using all the barrels of the rear one and only the rear 2 barrels of the front one in a 3x2 application.

pdq67
lg1969

Post by lg1969 »

I have my Holleys mounted sideways on my T-ram. Been driving it like this for over 35 years. I did it that way to clear the carbs because I added secondary metering block from metering plate and center hung bowls. Makes the carb look big. Also kept the choke on the rear carb for easy starts. I had no issues at all. All the plugs burned evenly. Look at You tube video "Tunnel ram 406 sbc crank start"
Louis
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

GeraldS wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:55 pm A question here regarding sideways carb mounting, specifically with a 6-71. I have a 354 Chrysler Hemi that I plan to build and recently had my 6-71 completely polished and re-machined, sealed, etc. The guy that did my blower told me on a street motor, you do not to want to turn the carbs sideways. He said this is because the blower packs air on the outsides of the case, and sideways carbs will result in fuel on one side of the case and not the other, unless the secondaries are opened. This seems to make perfect sense to me. Since I can't afford a Hilborn or other electronic hat style injection, I will either use Edelbrocks or smaller Holleys that can be mounted conventionally. Do I have agreement here, or am I missing something?
Believe the blower guy and don't reinvent the wheel here. Holley or Edelbrock AFBs will work. The Edelbrocks seem more popular for street blowers.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm Believe the blower guy and don't reinvent the wheel here. Holley or Edelbrock AFBs will work. The Edelbrocks seem more popular for street blowers.
Interesting and yet obvious observation.
I welded a sideways mounted dual carb blower top on my cut up single carb tunnel ram, Its a drag only WOT application, but it still bugs me.
Do the sideways mounted blower guys on the street generally cruise lean on one bank or are the blower carbs all 1:1 linkage?
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

GeraldS wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:55 pm A question here regarding sideways carb mounting, specifically with a 6-71. I have a 354 Chrysler Hemi that I plan to build and recently had my 6-71 completely polished and re-machined, sealed, etc. The guy that did my blower told me on a street motor, you do not to want to turn the carbs sideways. He said this is because the blower packs air on the outsides of the case, and sideways carbs will result in fuel on one side of the case and not the other, unless the secondaries are opened. This seems to make perfect sense to me. Since I can't afford a Hilborn or other electronic hat style injection, I will either use Edelbrocks or smaller Holleys that can be mounted conventionally. Do I have agreement here, or am I missing something?
It doesn't make sense to me, because all the air is coming from the same place as the fuel.

Does the rear four cylinders starve for fuel when running a single carb before the secondaries open?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

miniv8 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:37 pm
Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm Believe the blower guy and don't reinvent the wheel here. Holley or Edelbrock AFBs will work. The Edelbrocks seem more popular for street blowers.
Interesting and yet obvious observation.
I welded a sideways mounted dual carb blower top on my cut up single carb tunnel ram, Its a drag only WOT application, but it still bugs me.
Do the sideways mounted blower guys on the street generally cruise lean on one bank or are the blower carbs all 1:1 linkage?
If I had to guess for those that get away with side mounts.
1: At idle and part throttle cruise there is no real boost or load.
2: The pull under the blower is still a tornado and everything gets to where it is supposed to go...we hope.
3: The blower is an excellent mix master.
4: I ran twin gasoline dominators in line with progressive linkage on an 871 way back when and it all seemed to work out. Bear in mind that was drag only and the progressive part of it only played a part when staging. I just remembered that part of what made that work is the primary jets and squirters were considerably larger than the secondaries. This helped with the launch. Not unlike running a mechanical injection to cover up a lean spot during transition.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Could always hedge one's bet by facing one carb left and the other right; leave it up to the rotors to sort it out from there... :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.