Time for my "summer" carb tune...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
Time for my "summer" carb tune...

Post by 427dart »

Heat and humidity here again so I gave my dual 650's the summertime tweak which is just a touch in on the idle mix screws to help keep it crisp.
It had been sitting for 45 minutes after a drive and later my tune when I cranked it up. Fires right up without any accelerator action.
Seems to run a bit stronger with the large oval filter and my shop built air cleaner assembly over the two smaller round filters.

Nice smooth and strong running street machine. Old school cool...no EFI needed!!
https://youtu.be/PiikhPPEp6Q
RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Time for my "summer" carb tune...

Post by RevTheory »

Sounds great! You set your initial timing just like I do :D
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

Hey brother, you wanna sale those small air cleaners? I have the dreaded Edelbrock triangle foam filters on mine... Right now and I hate them but I don't have enough room to have a good filter to fit...
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Casper393W wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:27 pm Hey brother, you wanna sale those small air cleaners? I have the dreaded Edelbrock triangle foam filters on mine... Right now and I hate them but I don't have enough room to have a good filter to fit...
I found them at the local Pep Boys store but you can most likely get them anyplace.
I use the cheap paper filters that came with them during the high pollen Spring season and later swap on the taller round KN filters.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 pm Sounds great! You set your initial timing just like I do :D
I run my total at 32 degrees all in at 1800 RPM.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

With my setup I'm running 28 initial and 34 total all in by 2000 rpm.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

427dart wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:13 pm Heat and humidity here again so I gave my dual 650's the summertime tweak which is just a touch in on the idle mix screws to help keep it crisp.
It had been sitting for 45 minutes after a drive and later my tune when I cranked it up. Fires right up without any accelerator action.
Seems to run a bit stronger with the large oval filter and my shop built air cleaner assembly over the two smaller round filters.

Nice smooth and strong running street machine. Old school cool...no EFI needed!!
https://youtu.be/PiikhPPEp6Q
You probably weren't doing yourself any favors using 2 small, single filters, 1 on each carb. Engine Masters' testing showed quite a difference in power between a 6" single filter and 1 larger, 14"x3" filter. On a single carb application. I imagine the issue is only made worse if using 2.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING