Flow bench results

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

paulzig
Expert
Expert

Re: Flow bench results

Post by paulzig »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 pm Define flow quality please.
Flowz energy... :)
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

paulzig wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 pm
Flowz energy... :)
If your talking David's deal your not even close
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Scotthatch wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:21 pm

What it shows is the potential of the engine power you can be lower if things are not correct ....

I posted lots of dyno tests where the HP was dead on

Mine is higher 60-70 HP higher than your math,
cgarb is lower.

Both were dyno tuned.

When engines that similar don't line up with a formula, it's the formula.

Have you ever went to a bigger cam and made less power ?
Have you ever seen a head that flowZ more cfm, make less power ?
Examples are out there of both, which means the math would be flawed if your using CFM and IVC to determine HP.

But if it always matches your engines, use it.

Randy
user-30563

Post by user-30563 »

It has ALWAYS been about the quality of flow, period. And you can look at a flow curve and have a better than average idea what is going on. Becuase it's all about .25, especially for those who don't like low flow.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Right
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

randy331 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 pm

What it shows is the potential of the engine power you can be lower if things are not correct ....

cgarb is lower.

Both were dyno tuned.

Examples are out there of both, which means the math would be flawed if your using CFM and IVC to determine HP.

Randy
=D>
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

cgarb is lower.

Randy
Your 383 was 290CFM and 690HP wasnt it?

So nearly 2.4CFM per HP... Can I use your formula?
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

one indicator of flow quality would surely be the BSFC, another might be the velocity gradients
Rimmo

Post by Rimmo »

How about cfm per sqin at the maximum velocity that will allow the intake charge to move cleanly through said port and it's changes in CSA and direction without causing choke, separation or turbulence.

Can we agree on that and move on with the discussion? I think most here know it's not just the CFM number.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Rimmo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 am
How about cfm per sqin at the maximum velocity that will allow the intake charge to move cleanly through said port and it's changes in CSA and direction without causing choke, separation or turbulence.

Can we agree on that and move on with the discussion? I think most here know it's not just the CFM number.
Hang on , but now we need chart to indicate sq"/cfm, something like , Poor, Fair , Good, Average, Great and Yes we're on!
Just had to throw that on you as you were ready to move on ! :lol:
Craig.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Scotthatch wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:57 pm
randy331 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:10 pm
Scotthatch wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 am ... if I need more HP I can up the cfm or move the closing point of the intake valve out more ... now this just deals with peak HP
Wish it was as easy as you make it sound.

Randy

Everyone that has pulled heads and ported them to gain power is doing so to up the cfm flow not to change some wave characteristic .... when you add high ratio rockers and gain power why is it helping? More flow from peak lift? Changing cam specs? Or did it change the waveform?

You guys are so hung up on the cool idea of how to refine a engine you have forgotten the bread and butter of how it works most of the time .....
Not really, you start with the basics (bread and butter as you mention) then add the rest to over achieve!
Scott, most of your views are based purely on the data supplied in the Superflow manual and inertia-supercharging effect. Being as you do not believe in the resonant pulses /waves and their effects on the intake tract, did you skip page 31 9.0, or just don't believe it?
Rimmo

Post by Rimmo »

cjperformance wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 am
Rimmo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 am

Hang on , but now we need chart to indicate sq"/cfm, something like , Poor, Fair , Good, Average, Great and Yes we're on!
Just had to throw that on you as you were ready to move on ! :lol:
ahhhh....yes...but you already know what Good CFM is, so the chart would only be a distraction
I would however be open to a chart like that defining Good/Fair/Poor resonant waves in an intake tract, what say you :wink:
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 pm

cgarb is lower.

Both were dyno tuned.

Randy
=D>
So a later IVC is always worth more peak power?... that seems ridiculous. ..I've noticed the more developed higher power stuff that the IVC seems to get earlier than what youd expect.. Especially when looking at high output NA 4V stuff. So now its flow bench flowz and IVC run the show. I see. :?: #-o
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

cgarb is lower.

Both were dyno tuned.

Randy

No the math looks dead on for your motor too ...

You did not give a lot of information on your build but you did say 290 cfm , intake duration about the same at 272 on 109 but you have more aggressive ramp and .100 more lift . So since I have specs for his cam I will go with it or a Z of 1.09 from the chart

At 2.46 HP per cfm and 290 cfm you made 713.4 HP

So 290cfm x 1.09 Z x .257 HP per cfm x 8 cylinders x 1.1 for running alcohol = 714.8

You do know alcohol is a power adder ......

As for his engine yes it should be higher ... one thing to note is as you go past 100 % port efficiency things have to be right ... in your case you have a groomed port With a moved pinch point and would guess good stortside and different valve angle ... all this helped you get to the number you did ..... lower there are problems to fix ..higher and you need more cfm or cam ....

Now if you wave tuned this engine how did you pick the induction events ? Or change the intake runner length and to what rpm did you tune to and how wide is that band? ...not talking exhaust side as I have already agreed there is power there that I am ignoring by choice... induction tuning is what I am asking
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

Warp Speed wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:07 am
Scotthatch wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:57 pm
randy331 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Wish it was as easy as you make it sound.

Randy

Everyone that has pulled heads and ported them to gain power is doing so to up the cfm flow not to change some wave characteristic .... when you add high ratio rockers and gain power why is it helping? More flow from peak lift? Changing cam specs? Or did it change the waveform?

You guys are so hung up on the cool idea of how to refine a engine you have forgotten the bread and butter of how it works most of the time .....
Not really, you start with the basics (bread and butter as you mention) then add the rest to over achieve!
Scott, most of your views are based purely on the data supplied in the Superflow manual and inertia-supercharging effect. Being as you do not believe in the resonant pulses /waves and their effects on the intake tract, did you skip page 31 9.0, or just don't believe it?

I addressed it in the thread link below

.https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic. ... tart=180