Valve spring prep

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Valve spring prep

Post by gnicholson »

I was changing springs on my bbc drag car and was wondering what the consensus for spring prep is. I allways radius the inside of the spring to keep the sharp edge from wearing against the retainer. I also round and radius the end of the coils as well as the damper if it uses one and slightly radius the sharp edge left from grinding the end coils flat. I then clean em up coil bind them a few times and oil . Am i wasting my time?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Valve spring prep

Post by mag2555 »

If your running a spring package that uses a flat wire damper your just asking for trouble no matter how well you prep & polish over things!
Drop a valve once due to a flat wire damper unwinding out thru a outer coil like many of us have had take place and you will be signing our sage song also!
A very important thing to check is that the nose of the retainer has some free play in the top of the inner spring.
If you have to apply pressure to get it installed you stand a good chance of snapping off the top coil of the inner spring!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

mag2555 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:58 am If your running a spring package that uses a flat wire damper your just asking for trouble no matter how well you prep & polish over things!
Drop a valve once due to a flat wire damper unwinding out thru a outer coil like many of us have had take place and you will be signing our sage song also!
A very important thing to check is that the nose of the retainer has some free play in the top of the inner spring.
If you have to apply pressure to get it installed you stand a good chance of snapping off the top coil of the inner spring!
Oh yeah dude.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Quality high performance valve springs are finished and inspected prior to being packaged and shipped, therefore no additional grinding nor deburring is necessary or recommended. However it is a good idea to compress the springs to coil-bind several times prior to installation.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

Though I never seem to get the chance to inspect my valve springs I've read an inspection with a 4X magnifier (loupe?) should be done looking for burrs, nicks and defects. Then a scrub with Scotch Brite pad stuff - can't recall why the scrub though.
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

The scrub down is BS, but any nicks, scratches or the like can prove to be deadly!

How ever you can polish out a small nick and dodge a bullet.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Loftfan

Post by Loftfan »

One bit of prep that could be valuable is softening the underside of the spring tip where it contacts the first coil. Use a plastic tool to lift up the spring tip slightly and use a strip of emery cloth to soften that sharp edge there. Do this on both ends of each spring, inner and outer as applicable.

What you are reducing is the contact stress where the spring tip rubs on the coil beneath it.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

I have a 1.625 spring with a damper right now. To go to a 1.640 without a damper i would need the corresponding retainer and to make sure the spring pocket is big enough. Ive never had a problem on this engine with the damper breaking
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

i always dipped my valve springs in hot gear oil and let them cool to get a good coat of oil because dry start on the springs is not a good idea.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Flat wire dampers do not break my friend , they unwind and pop out thru the outer spring and then depending on the lift your applying to the spring they jam the valve from opening and snap the keepers open and then it's dropped valve time!

If it where me I would do and spen whatever nessarry to get a true triple spring set up in the on the heads if a different duel spring set up can not provide the pressures you need.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

gnicholson wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:00 pm I have a 1.625 spring with a damper right now. To go to a 1.640 without a damper i would need the corresponding retainer and to make sure the spring pocket is big enough. Ive never had a problem on this engine with the damper breaking
Nothing wrong with a damper, ive run the same spring diameter with a damper past 9500 with restricted oiling never had one unwind, prep you can hit the ends of the damper with a cratex wheel, if you spring supplier is good quality thats most of the battle,as was said check for nicks,scratches , keep your hands off them {use gloves}
Tom