Howards cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jsgarage
Expert
Expert
Re: Howards cams

Post by jsgarage »

Another thing you might consider in your cam spec-work is whether the subject engine will be using stock heads or aftermarket with raised exhaust ports. The mauled and twisted stock iron exhaust ports in a 351-C (if thats the subject Ford) often get more lift & duration from cam grinders. Not sure how much difference the heads alone will make in a cam selection, but there should be SOME effect!
ozyfordman

Post by ozyfordman »

Jsgarage,
2v clevelands actually have a reasonable exhaust port. In Falcons, the shock towers make for a severe departure angle from the port, which doesn't help. As this is in a hotrod, I don't have that issue. On the bench I have a 75 percent ratio of the inlet flow, 278 cfm@.650". Some like extra lift and duration on the exhaust. My opinion is most Cleveland cams are ground for 4v heads, which have a crappy exhaust ratio. A 2v with good porting likes a single pattern cam or even less exhaust lift and duration. At least this is what EAPro tells me. Nobody sells shelf grinds like this. For a car with full exhaust system, I don't think it makes much difference. Others with more experience may have a different opinion. I'm all ears if anyone wants to comment.
Evan
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

ozyfordman wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:23 pm Jsgarage,
2v clevelands actually have a reasonable exhaust port. In Falcons, the shock towers make for a severe departure angle from the port, which doesn't help. As this is in a hotrod, I don't have that issue. On the bench I have a 75 percent ratio of the inlet flow, 278 cfm@.650". Some like extra lift and duration on the exhaust. My opinion is most Cleveland cams are ground for 4v heads, which have a crappy exhaust ratio. A 2v with good porting likes a single pattern cam or even less exhaust lift and duration. At least this is what EAPro tells me. Nobody sells shelf grinds like this. For a car with full exhaust system, I don't think it makes much difference. Others with more experience may have a different opinion. I'm all ears if anyone wants to comment.
Evan
Very true specifically speaking about 2V heads, they work very well and have much nicer mid range with cams around single pattern +/- a little duration when your peak hp and peak used rpm are fairly close, adding exhaust duration gives you some more peak typically but extends the useable rpm range often at some expense of low/mid, really its like anything- all about what you expect and where you want it. Lift is more a function of how well the port flows.
Craig.
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

FWIW- I just asked the guy in charge of Howards grinding department, and "none of them (.875" profiles) are Harolds designs."
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

cpmotors wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:58 pm FWIW- I just asked the guy in charge of Howards grinding department, and "none of them (.875" profiles) are Harolds designs."
Still makes you wonder how many lobes of his have been bootlegged into "our new in-house designs" though.
bigfoot584
Pro
Pro

Post by bigfoot584 »

This may help, here's list of Howards cam lobe profiles and it list a section just for Harolds lobe profiles.
0-Howards-cams-lobe-list-2014.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

bigfoot584 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:31 am This may help, here's list of Howards cam lobe profiles and it list a section just for Harolds lobe profiles.
0-Howards-cams-lobe-list-2014.pdf
I wouldn't compare a 4 year old list, I know all the lobe designs have been updated over the last several years.
groberts101 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:05 am
cpmotors wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:58 pm FWIW- I just asked the guy in charge of Howards grinding department, and "none of them (.875" profiles) are Harolds designs."
Still makes you wonder how many lobes of his have been bootlegged into "our new in-house designs" though.
If they have been updated, are they really still Harolds? And no, I don't sit and wonder. I'm not a cam expert and have other things to do besides ponder incremental changes. What I do know is since I quit using Comp for everything from shelf to customs and use Howards for everything, I don't get cams with crappy finishes, lobes that are short on lift, I can talk to the guy that will tell me what cores he uses, etc. I've personally have had very good success with Howards cams. Just finished a mild 440ci with 906 heads, 9.75:1 on 91 octane make 530lbs @ 3500 and 460HP @ 5200 with their Rattler series HFT with a old MP dual plane and Edelbrock 750. Made equal power and 30lbs more torque than the 440 6 Pak I dynoed right after it with a camshaft 20° & .075" bigger.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

That list is the same one that is live on their website.

There are I think only 11 mechanical flat tappet Harold lobes there. The rest would be all Mike Sloe (spl?). They have a lot of Harold roller designs however, and they probably would range from circle track, NASCAR Truck, and I believe some Pro Stock. They would have pretty much whatever he worked on at CCC plus whatever he designed for loyal customers of his and had Howards grind. By the mid / late 2000s, I can’t imagine it would be anything but rollers.

The last commercial commissions he would have done after CCC and before his stroke /passing away would be these: http://www.lunatipower.com/News.aspx?id=51

http://www.lunatipower.com/ProductGroup ... 343&cid=58
The TL2 being the mechanical flat tappet series and likely all designed for a .842 lifter.
-Bob
ozyfordman

Post by ozyfordman »

Guys,
Where it would have been nostalgic to say my cam was one of Harold's, I don't really care. I bet Harold had a ton of influence among more junior designers. Standing on the shoulders of champions sort of thing. That's how progress is made. Does anyone know if these lobes were developed with spintron? I am hoping so.
Evan