General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

carbide burrs

Post by steve cowan »

hi guys,
anyone here use this style of burr for SSR,i just bought these as a test and have not used them yet,any comments welcome
carbide burrs 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: carbide burrs

Post by midnightbluS10 »

What would you use a burr like that for? What's it's stated purpose?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:08 am What would you use a burr like that for? What's it's stated purpose?
midnight,
thats what i am asking,i am thinking it might be easier using this shape burr to shape the short turn and if anyone has tried this shape burr or any ideas,i only received them today and i will try them this week,
steve c
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I used burrs like that for the ssr, but found they don't work that well. A 5/8 oval or egg works better. In fact a 5/8 oval bit works best for everything.
Joe Facciano
bigblock57

Post by bigblock57 »

Hi Steve where did you get those from I think they would suit short turn on some of the stuff I do
I'm in Queensland
Bigblock
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

JoePorting wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:44 am I used burrs like that for the ssr, but found they don't work that well. A 5/8 oval or egg works better. In fact a 5/8 oval bit works best for everything.
Joe,
thanks for the tip,i have both of the burrs you have mentioned but figured the 5/8 oval would be to big but you dont know until you try i guess lol

Bigblock,
bought them off Amazon USA $ 61 delivered,i suspect they are cheap quality but again i want to try the shape,i tried a reverse cone to work the SSR on chevy cast heads but i cant get a good finish,i used a small egg with long shank and worked well for me but joe gave me a couple of tips and i appriciate any help
steve c
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I use electric die grinders. One has a variable speed. I just use it on a lower speed with a regular burr when doing touchy areas like the SSR.
ozyfordman

Post by ozyfordman »

Steve,
I bought a couple of these and other shapes from Circofile. I thought that these would work on SSR but didn't get good results. Eggs and reverse tear drop shapes worked best. Circofile have a website and have great prices and service. They will sharpen burrs as well although I haven't done this yet myself. Good bloke to deal with, family owned company with great products. Was recommended to me from this forum.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Looks like it should but would think in reality you may be frustrated.
Always used the largest burr you can,lower the speed, more control-less chances for mistakes.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I always liked around 10,000 rpm's or less. Too bad 99% of die grinders are 20,000 rpm's or higher.
Joe Facciano
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Joe, thats why mankind made air pressure regulators. NOT trying to be a smartass, so please don't take it that way. Mark H. :)
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:28 pm Joe, thats why mankind made air pressure regulators. NOT trying to be a smartass, so please don't take it that way. Mark H. :)
Or a VariAC
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:28 pm Joe, thats why mankind made air pressure regulators. NOT trying to be a smartass, so please don't take it that way. Mark H. :)
That.. or simply slip a gloved finger under the throttle to act as a throttle stop for controlling rpm.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Yea Groberts101 done that. One of my diegrinders (AIR) currently has a piece of 1/4" thick black sheet rubber affixed under the lever to prevent over speed, while at the same time gripping firmly enough to control the grinder. Someone may wish to try this idea, i am sure i am not the first person to do this :lol: . Works for slow removal when you are getting close to finished. Mark H.
ozyfordman

Post by ozyfordman »

I have an old Shinano die grinder with a vane that has a piece broken off one end. Should put new vanes in it but it works a treat for finishing the SSR. I use other grinders for the roughing out. Don't have to change burrs on that one either.