Moderator: Team

Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Re: Top ring inside bevel / chamfer

Post by Mark O'Neal »

joespanova wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:37 am
Mark O'Neal
Perhaps. But you'd never know it if you ran them.
[/quote]
well , as you put it........"perhaps" , but I'm not going to take that chance considering all that's required to assemble AND install an engine.
PERHAPS , JE should indicate on the instruction / info sheet that the inconsistency of the top ring bevel is "inconsequential."

BTW , ring groove depth was sufficient to accept a Speed Pro set.........the JE top ring radial at .187ish and SP at .195ish. I doubt the increased back clearance of the JE was supposed to "offset" the reduced inconsistent bevel. I still maintain poor quality control for rings MADE IN USA. You can get lackadaisical people here just as easily as you can anywhere else.
[/quote]

1> I wasn't suggesting you do anything. I said the difference would not be measureable.....in a lackadaisical way.....

2> ring depths, until recently, were just cut to "D WALL" dimensions and builders dealt with it from there. (Bore size/22 +.005)

3> 99% of engine building is opinion.

4> I am a happy guy. I'm happy because I am selective about when I sit about picking pepper out of fly poop.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Aside from which....what makes you think those rings were made in America?
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 pm Aside from which....what makes you think those rings were made in America?
Because the box had "HECHO EN ESTADOS UNIDOS" printed on it.
modified wanna be
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

It's those Brazilian rings again huh?
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

joespanova wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 pm
Mark O'Neal wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 pm Aside from which....what makes you think those rings were made in America?
DCal wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:46 pm It's those Brazilian rings again huh?
Huh, Brazilians speak Portuguese... not Spanish ("hecho en")...
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Estados Unidos is Brazilian Portuguese. Translates into "United States" , Hecho en is Mexican. Something is weird here but I was trying to make a point that a large piston company was having rings made in Brazil and that possibly the rings in question may have come from there.
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

Yo , word ..........I was being "sarcastic"..........the rings have "MADE IN USA " printed on the box....LOL
modified wanna be
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Then I guess it doesn't make any difference where the rings were made, we can buy and/or make crappy rings right here in the States too.
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

DCal wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 am Then I guess it doesn't make any difference where the rings were made, we can buy and/or make crappy rings right here in the States too.
LOL , that's what I was saying a few replies back...........
modified wanna be
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

DCal wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 am Then I guess it doesn't make any difference where the rings were made, we can buy and/or make crappy rings right here in the States too.
Yes, some of the crappiest rings on the market are manufactured in the USA. Sadly some of these crappy rings are currently showing up in Federal Mogul/Sealed Power/Speed Pro boxes . . . . . . . .
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

joespanova wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

joespanova wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:14 am Yo , word ..........I was being "sarcastic"..........the rings have "MADE IN USA " printed on the box....LOL
FTC rules state that product can be advertised as "Made in America" if a substantial portion of the work performed is done here. That "Made in America" used to mean something, now it means "guess." Lost of parts are made in other countries, and "finished" here, then labeled made in America.

Rings come from South America, Norte America, and Asia. Probably Europe too, but who can afford that? Quality variances are not dependent on country of origin.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

FTC rules state that product can be advertised as "Made in America" if a substantial portion of the work performed is done here. That "Made in America" used to mean something, now it means "guess." Lost of parts are made in other countries, and "finished" here, then labeled made in America.

Rings come from South America, Norte America, and Asia. Probably Europe too, but who can afford that? Quality variances are not dependent on country of origin.
[/quote]

Perhaps the box is made in USA? Back in the 1970s or so there was rumored to be a manufacturing town/area in Japan called USA. Lots of stuff was "made in USA" Today I would take anything made in Japan over Chinese.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Mark O'Neal, I would like to add something to Jim McFarland's statement. after the word trouble add ( and spending and wasting MONEY). :lol: Mark H
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

DCal, I was told by a VERY reliable source that titanium valves are made, (this does not necessarily include finishing work) in two countries, Brazil or somewhere close to there and China. Would love to here what anybody has to say about this claim. :?: Mark H. :?: