Blow through intake manifold flow testing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Blow through intake manifold flow testing

Post by MadBill »

No, my point is that it's the pressure difference that causes the flow. The air doesn't know suck from blow. In fact those terms are only meaningful if you're using atmospheric pressure as a reference, and depending on weather and where your flow bench is located, that could be anywhere from 30+" Hg. down to under 20".
If you go up 2000 ft. and blow 28" H2O into the plenum, you get exactly the same upstream and downstream pressures and the same flow as you would by sucking 28" at the lower altitude.
Last edited by MadBill on Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Greg Long wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:01 amCharlie, I tried the same thing as you several years ago on 3 or 4 intakes and made notes on each test. Then I turned them around with the air being pulled in as it normally would be. Every test in the blow through method gave higher numbers. I think this is due to the way the air acts at the runner entrance areas, but I am not sure.
When you blow through the manifold, the pressure is 1 atm + 28" = 1.069 atm. So the air density entering the runners is about 7% higher and the mass flow will be 7% higher.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

But most flow benches measure volume, not mass and as I wrote, just changing altitude can cause the same density change yet we don't calibrate our benches to a sea level reference.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Yes but where is the orifice plate measuring volume flow located? Is the density at the orifice plate different for the two tests described?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Sorry guys, busy week already. So just to get an idea what each runner pulls this will work but if you are really looking hard bolt it on the head. I am having trouble with what flowing the manifold in the reverse direction will help with as far as from clay radius to runner to plenum. Some interesting point were brought up. Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

I got to try my first single plane manifold using a shop vac :)

https://youtu.be/-p5eMrrYY04?feature=shared

One vacuum source that is branched into several ports equalizes the velocitys. I dont know what its about but ive seen it before.

I think blowing from one source to several branches makes the air flow out where there is the least resistance.

-juhana
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger