Lifter manufacturing facilities

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Lifter manufacturing facilities

Post by 1972ho »

Have any of been to any of the major cam companies and saw lifters Being manufactured in house.This was just something that I’m curious about seeing how most of the lifters that are out there look so similar,and most people and racer that I have talked with has had some type of lifter failure.Thanks
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Re: Lifter manufacturing facilities

Post by groberts101 »

I think most would be surprised at how few major component mfgrs really exist out there. Many bigger name brands just spec their parts requirements, metallurgy included, and have them specially made to fit within those requested spec's by the same company which builds for other major brand names. Just specialty batches of parts being made to meet each of their specific customers requirements.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

There are very few lifter manufacturers currently supplying all of the automotive (both OEM and aftermarket) markets. These manufacturers typically make production runs as high as 100,000 units of each part number. These lifters are then packaged in bulk "trays" containing 144 or so lifters. These lifters are then sold to the customers. In the aftermarket these customers then package the lifters in their own boxes. This is how the majority of lifters get into the market, although there are a few small manufacturers who do build custom-designed lifters.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

no lifters in house at isky.........
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

So how do we know that most of these lifters are not contained in a container ship and trucked to where ever they need to go.I think but really don’t know that Jesel manufacturer there lifters.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

cstraub wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm Morel and Jesel are the only 2 brand name companies that supply lifter to NASCAR. Out of any series in racing, these guys demand quality. I've been personally to both facilities and they mfg in house. Morel is a family owned 3rd generation. They are what is referred to as a Tier 2 supplier to the OEM's. They have been a supplier to Eaton for over 50 years. One large advantage Morel has is in house heat treat. Those of you that understand the importance of heat treat know it can make or break you.
Xceldyne also manufactures liters for NASCAR Cup, Xfinity and Truck applications, those are made in Thomasville NC.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Charliesauto wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 pm
cstraub wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm Morel and Jesel are the only 2 brand name companies that supply lifter to NASCAR. Out of any series in racing, these guys demand quality. I've been personally to both facilities and they mfg in house. Morel is a family owned 3rd generation. They are what is referred to as a Tier 2 supplier to the OEM's. They have been a supplier to Eaton for over 50 years. One large advantage Morel has is in house heat treat. Those of you that understand the importance of heat treat know it can make or break you.
Xceldyne also manufactures liters for NASCAR Cup, Xfinity and Truck applications, those are made in Thomasville NC.
I had a nice long tour at Jesel a while ago , All of their products are manufactured in house, and that includes the heat treat
Tom
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I had a guy at TRD tell me their lifters came from offshore and not east.Tom
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

tjs44 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:44 pm I had a guy at TRD tell me their lifters came from offshore and not east.Tom
Europe? UK or Germany?
-Bob
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Since TRD USA is in Costa Mesa CA., wouldn't "..offshore and not East" have to mean the West, i.e. the other side of the Pacific? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Many flat tappet lifters are made it the USA. All types of stuff. Tractors to VW bugs.
They don't prominently list the country of manufacture because, nobody has ever asks, would be my guess.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Are you positive?
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

MadBill wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:24 pm Since TRD USA is in Costa Mesa CA., wouldn't "..offshore and not East" have to mean the West, i.e. the other side of the Pacific? :-k
Not particularly. There's still an East and east cost if you live in Cali on the west coast. It's just a little further away. Just like the "Far East". It's still far to the east. Just a little farther than if you were at Virginia Beach.

If you were in Kansas, it's still be the Far East. Same goes for Cali. You can still go that way. You're not prevented from going to or calling it the East just because you went further West. It's just further East, now.

Anyway. My guess would be that they were made in Japan <shrug>
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

For flat tappet lifters, I use re-faced factory lifters or re-faced aftermarket lifters that are at least 25 yrs old. That way, I know I have a quality lifter that will not fail because of metallurgy or poor machining. FT lifters can be re-faced & re-used 2 or 3 times.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Europe,the spring failures they had a few years ago was because they thought they could build a better spring in Japan.I hope to go to the open house again this summer.Tom