How to develop cam specs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: How to develop cam specs

Post by Orr89rocz »

Orr89rocz wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 am Another method i found for typical pushrod v8

Intake duration

Int dur = 148.1+ (3.8 * comp ratio) + (12 / (rpm at tq peak * stroke / 33002.4) ) + 0.007 * ( rpm at tq peak ^ 0.77) * (bore diam ^ 0.27) * ( stroke ^ 1.47)

Exhaust dur = int dur * ( 1 + ( ( 0.348 / rod stroke ratio)^1.99)) + 12

Now that 12 seems arbitrary for a drag race na engine for long powerband after peak but who knows

Let me dig up the lsa part
Lsa

Lsa = ( ( (100 + (1.2 * rpm peak hp/1000) ) * sqrt(int dur/270) ) + (1.8 / rod stroke ratio)^4 ) - 1

Int dur and ex dur at for solid/solid roller tappets at .050 from what i remember.

It doesnt seem to work tho for most things i tested it against. Like intake duration is only dependent on torque rpm and lsa is dependent on hp rpm. I thought more influence would come the other way around. Port and valve areas dont come into play and must already be factored in thru the constants as this was supposedly determined from dyno data results. Seems like durations predicted are higher than they should be. Lsas seem tighter than expected but kinda lean towards Vizzards thing.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

exhaustgases wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm So where do you get this software and what does it cost? I didn't see a mention of that. Is it all cloud based? Meaning you never stop paying for it, and your ideas are on a server someplace in the world that you have no control over. You can't have an internet connected computer and proprietary design stuff.
And the talk here about experience, I feel that can also be grouped in the "its just who you are" deal as well, meaning you have the feel for it.
And that is where guys like camking and a few others on here fit, and why someone can attempt to make the best software ever, but there will always be something there it maybe lacking, like the mentioned Hp difference.
I would like to see the software, where to get it? What is it called? Is there any open source ones?
There are several choices, each one is better fit for different users.
These two are affordable for a hobbyist and will save money in avoiding poor combinations.

Dynomation: Easy to use, fast, less detail than some people will need, less accuracy than EngMod4T. A good learning tool.
http://www.motionsoftware.com/Dynomation6.htm

EngMod4T: Requires more thought to use, but is more powerful in the way it enables modular grouping of parts. Allows very detailed definition of engines and parts. More accurate, longer processing time.
http://vannik.co.za/

Vannik is a ST member.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:42 pm
exhaustgases wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm So where do you get this software and what does it cost? I didn't see a mention of that. Is it all cloud based? Meaning you never stop paying for it, and your ideas are on a server someplace in the world that you have no control over. You can't have an internet connected computer and proprietary design stuff.
And the talk here about experience, I feel that can also be grouped in the "its just who you are" deal as well, meaning you have the feel for it.
And that is where guys like camking and a few others on here fit, and why someone can attempt to make the best software ever, but there will always be something there it maybe lacking, like the mentioned Hp difference.
I would like to see the software, where to get it? What is it called? Is there any open source ones?
There are several choices, each one is better fit for different users.
These two are affordable for a hobbyist and will save money in avoiding poor combinations.

Dynomation: Easy to use, fast, less detail than some people will need, less accuracy than EngMod4T. A good learning tool.
http://www.motionsoftware.com/Dynomation6.htm

EngMod4T: Requires more thought to use, but is more powerful in the way it enables modular grouping of parts. Allows very detailed definition of engines and parts. More accurate, longer processing time.
http://vannik.co.za/

Vannik is a ST member.

FINALLY. It took you THAT long to post an answer. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

Wow ... 500 bucks for the basic one so you can pick a camshaft.... plus I would have to buy a computer
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

statsystems wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm FINALLY. It took you THAT long to post an answer. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus.
Now you just have to take the "1D optimized" engine to the dyno so you can compare it to what happens in reality to learn how to tweak the inputs to match.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Scotthatch wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:49 pm Wow ... 500 bucks for the basic one so you can pick a camshaft.... plus I would have to buy a computer
Go back to your inertia ramming theories! Hahaha
This is all obviously over your head! :wink:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

statsystems wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm
FINALLY. It took you THAT long to post an answer. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus.
I have mentioned them many times.

In case there is a misunderstanding by some, these are NOT empirical based software, the computations are physics based.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

I just use common sense and pick what I think will work in the range I will use it. Has worked great so far!
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:51 pm
Scotthatch wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:49 pm Wow ... 500 bucks for the basic one so you can pick a camshaft.... plus I would have to buy a computer
Not over my head just seems like a lot of money and a lot of work to pick a cam for the performance street stuff I do ... plus if you look my basic system has gotten me close enough to post numbers on what cam is in the motor with just knowing HP and cfm ...
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Scotthatch wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:08 pm
Not over my head just seems like a lot of money and a lot of work to pick a cam for the performance street stuff I do ... plus if you look my basic system has gotten me close enough to post numbers on what cam is in the motor with just knowing HP and cfm ...
It does much more than help you spec a cam, it helps you choose a matching set of parts, such as manifolds headers throttles etc.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:18 pm
Scotthatch wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:08 pm

It does much more than help you spec a cam, it helps you choose a matching set of parts, such as manifolds headers throttles etc.

Not saying that is a bad thing but maybe you can do that on all out race stuff but in my world sometimes it's the headers that fit that get used and most of the time what I get is a box of parts from a guy with heads he got from a swap meet and intake from his buddy and a carb from the back of the garage that has not run in years ... I do my best to sort out the parts and make it the best I can ... my point is not this is wrong just that you have gotten out of touch with a big chunk of how regular guys build engines.

And I know your system does work because I just helped put together an engine with a camshaft you spec'ed out for the guy when I looked at the numbers I was very impressed to the point I pressed him to find out where the cam came from ... turned out it was you ... and the motor works even with the wrong headers
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Scotthatch wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:31 pm
Not saying that is a bad thing but maybe you can do that on all out race stuff but in my world sometimes it's the headers that fit that get used and most of the time what I get is a box of parts from a guy with heads he got from a swap meet and intake from his buddy and a carb from the back of the garage that has not run in years ... I do my best to sort out the parts and make it the best I can ... my point is not this is wrong just that you have gotten out of touch with a big chunk of how regular guys build engines.

And I know your system does work because I just helped put together an engine with a camshaft you spec'ed out for the guy when I looked at the numbers I was very impressed to the point I pressed him to find out where the cam came from ... turned out it was you ... and the motor works even with the wrong headers
What!?! Clearly I misunderstood what you wrote. Please correct me.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

I get called in on other people's builds to degree cams or fix something they have trouble with on springs or rockers ....

On one build a few months ago it was rockers on a new motor ... when I look at cam cards I tend to crush numbers just to make sure it's what the guy is shooting for .... this cam was just great .. so I asked where it came from ...at first he would just say someone else ... I kept pressing because I very impressed with the events ...after a while he said Schmidt motor works specked the cam for him after he told him over the phone what he had and needed .... it now run and runs well ... we did do a little porting on the intake runners and I know the ex is just OK but it fits ... but that is the first time on a cam I did not see an event that was off ...
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Scotthatch wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 pm I get called in on other people's builds to degree cams or fix something they have trouble with on springs or rockers ....

On one build a few months ago it was rockers on a new motor ... when I look at cam cards I tend to crush numbers just to make sure it's what the guy is shooting for .... this cam was just great .. so I asked where it came from ...at first he would just say someone else ... I kept pressing because I very impressed with the events ...after a while he said Schmidt motor works specked the cam for him after he told him over the phone what he had and needed .... it now run and runs well ... we did do a little porting on the intake runners and I know the ex is just OK but it fits ... but that is the first time on a cam I did not see an event that was off ...
If it was me directly, that would have to of been from a while ago, I used to help people with big-block spread-port combinations using 1D software but don't do that anymore.

It might have been from one of the software I used to release or host. Those were not 1D software though.
There was one that was an online calculator, I bet it was that one.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

It could have been a while ago you did that it took him a long while to get all the parts he needed