General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Cam Data from Well-Developed Engines

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:26 pm
CamKing wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:13 pmI've only done 2 EMC cams, in the last 5 years, and both customers said they were not planning on winning, and just wanted to make sure the engines lived. Good try though.
No attempt at anything on my part. You just apparently aren't in the loop on the rest of the story. And I'm in no way trying to bash you; I'm just saying that not everyone does things the same way and we all fall short at some point.
Bullkrap.
Someone is feeding you a load of krap, and you're just smart enough to eat it.
I've only done cams for 2 EMC projects, and one was for a vintage Ford that just wanted to stay together, and the other one was for Greg Finnican, and he was not interested in pushing the limits.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Perhaps you didn't know it was an EMC entry. And I don't even like these guys so it's not some CamKing conspiracy but the story is true.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:44 pm When has an EMC team ever been easy on the valvetrain? I'm not buying it but that's just me. And please don't mistake me: I'm in no means trying to undermine Mike.
Believe it or not, some of the EMC competitors want to build an engine that will live much longer then the lenght of the EMC competition.
Some want to use the engine after the competion. Others want to be able to sell it, to recoup some of their money, and they don't want to sell a grenade.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:48 pm Perhaps you didn't know it was an EMC entry. And I don't even like these guys so it's not some CamKing conspiracy but the story is true.
Well then, it wouldn't have been designed to be optimum for the EMC, now would it.
Think before you type.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

You can get snarky all you want, Mike. I've been arms-length involved in several EMC builds and apparently know a little bit more than you think I do. At least the teams were respectful enough to not come on here and talk about having your cams reground.

You should probably give that a little consideration.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:56 pm You can get snarky all you want, Mike. I've been arms-length involved in several EMC builds and apparently know a little bit more than you think I do. At least the teams were respectful enough to not come on here and talk about having your cams reground.
That's because it didn't happen.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

You're so lucky I have respect and am not a name-dropper.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

This is supposed to be about cams, why do certain people feel the need to make everything about DV, and add to the shit storm. This is the technical portion of this board is it not?!? [-X
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:03 pm You're so lucky I have respect and am not a name-dropper.
Go ahead, and drop the name, or shut the hell up.
I know who I've done EMC cams for. I have records of all sales.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

CamKing wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:12 pm
RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:03 pm You're so lucky I have respect and am not a name-dropper.
Go ahead, and drop the name, or shut the hell up.
I know who I've done EMC cams for. I have records of all sales.
It's not going to happen and that's why I've been privileged to be involved in some of these things. I realize that puts me in a position of not being able to defend myself but it is what it is.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Cam tech?!?
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Some of us are still looking for that 20 lost HP. :lol:

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:19 pm It's not going to happen and that's why I've been privileged to be involved in some of these things. I realize that puts me in a position of not being able to defend myself but it is what it is.
So in other words, you're a little man who has no problem attacking my product, without any proof to back it up.
It never happened, so shut up.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

blykins wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:09 pm
RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:26 am What some of these usual characters refuse to acknowledge is that what Vizard did was compile over 10,000 dyno tests and do his best to make one part of cam selection as easy as possible for an engine platform that's still wildly popular. He's not talking about bandaids for intake-limited class racing or NASCAR or sled pulling and he's said as much. You only have to read what he has written.

His whole premise was to get you close enough to optimum that you could either go to the dyno with it, run an ICL sweep, rocker sweep and lash sweep (if solid) and nail it down flat (as opposed to showing up with a wheelbarrow full of cams that are all over the place) or if that isn't possible, and it so-often isn't, just install the damn thing and know that you're pretty damn close. And way closer than if you'd spent a half-hour reading the descriptions from 5 different cam companies. "Noticable idle, strong torque, 1,800 to 6,200 rpm, 283 to 400 cid."

I don't know why (actually I do) these same guys won't just see it for what it is. The argument that it doesn't work for 4-valve, 15,000 rpm Jap bikes or diesel container ships is horribly dishonest. A wise man would know what it's for and where to use it. Why the desperate attempt to "prove" your intellectual superiority? It seems you're doing the opposite.

If I was building my first 383 and following David's lead, it would be 10.5:1 compression, Air-Gap intake, 195cc heads with a 2.05 intake valve and cammed 274 at .006 on a 107 based on his overlap charts and 128. Right out of the gate. Now tell me how "wrong" that is.

Sure, if you want to get into the hows and whys, you can start digging deep into things. None of us have ever argued against that. Some of you just go out of your way to take what David has taught in a 124 page book and try to just crush it with things it was never intended to do.

Exercise a little common sense and some wisdom. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose a cam for a restricted, dirt track class to throw in your boat, it's on you. Use the information as intended.
I would have to know where you'd want the horsepower to peak, how much vacuum you needed, what the heads flowed, what it's going in, the vehicle weight, the transmission, the rearend ratio, what you're doing with it, and a million other things.

No one here can tell you where that cam will peak without the .050" duration, how the heads flow, what the lift is, etc....and for crying out loud, whether or not it's a hydraulic roller or a hydraulic flat tappet.

Your 274 @ .006" cam could be a 218 @ .050" quiet lobe that's easy on the valvetrain, or it could be a 226 @ .050" spring eater.

That's the issue with formulas. There's too many variables to come to any conclusion.

I had a very high-reputation cam grinder make a camshaft for a SBF build that I was doing, based on some "software". It was 28 peak hp down to a cam that I had spec'd and down over 10 average hp, with the same torque, and within 200 rpm of the same hp peaks.

A piece of software may get you close, but without experience on a certain engine family, or trying a hand-full cams, IMO, you're gonna miss the boat.

One of my pet peeves is hearing someone say, "I have a cam ground by so-and-so and it's perfect!" How do you know? How many different cams did you try?
David's writing are no different then anyone elses in the fact that if a person only reads one article or one piece from on page of one book it will be difficult to make a lot out of it but that is no different then say Blair and Stan's thread, https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53259 Even the Blair preachers can not come up with a cam for the engine in the thread without being able to write a program.

Anything worth learning takes years of study and practice, If a person with basic engine skills take DV's SBC book for example and follows what it says then they will not fall pray to the bigger is better trap that most go through when the start out, if you take into account what he is saying about head size (cc is used) because that what most people reference in the industry, rocker ratio and lift over big duration, look at his 10 engine examples in the back not to mention 2 1/2 pages of detailed cams that give you a good idea of cam characteristics you are well on your way to understanding what is needed to build a good "combination" and this gives you a head start as you move forward.
With this info and the vast amount of published engine if one takes the time you can learn the overlap needed to get the duration using DV's simple method and the lift needed for the intended application starts narrowing down the lobe family you will be choosing and worse case you loose power at the very top of the power band were few will see but a cpl of time a year.

Beyond that you will needs $ and dyno time, the 2 things most car guys don't have.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:28 pm Some of us are still looking for that 20 lost HP. :lol:

Stan
Well, if the 195cc heads are Brodix-8, Canfield, Competition Products , Ported Dart 180's, or Ported Edelbrock 185's, the single pattern cam alone, will cost at least 20hp by 5,800rpm.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449