Cam Data from Well-Developed Engines

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Cam Data from Well-Developed Engines

Post by RevTheory »

groberts101 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:33 pm Unless you do some plenum mod's to that intake and the finished heads are above average?.. that cam is done peaked by around 5,700-5,800 rpm. IMHO...
Probably but it would be brutal in a street car and you didn't have to flush cams through it on the dyno.

David's kind of boxed himself in with only having 124 pages per book. He's lamented to me that he and his publisher have to wade through more than 300 pages of tech to arrive at what they agree to be the best use to the readers in such a limited space. That's why some of us that know a little more than the average guy often feel shortchanged on certain things.

He knows all of this stuff and it makes me want to pull what's left of my hair out that he won't get into it outside of Car Tech Books. He's just giving these guys ammo to blast him with but we just can't seem to get that through to him.

It may be the case where he's got so much experience with a platform that he can cam it right in his head and he can't understand why we're struggling to figure out where to land on his overlap pie charts. I can hear him saying "62* of overlap on a 107. Didn't you read what I said?"

I haven't talked to him in awhile and really need to call him. I'll surely bring this up but I don't have a ton of confidence that it'll go anywhere. In my opinion, Stan has the best chance at breaking through.
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

CamKing wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm
RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:26 am If I was building my first 383 and following David's lead, it would be 10.5:1 compression, Air-Gap intake, 195cc heads with a 2.05 intake valve and cammed 274 at .006 on a 107 based on his overlap charts and 128. Right out of the gate. Now tell me how "wrong" that is.
It would peak HP at 5,400, and be down at least 20hp from optimum. Of course, most people would never miss the 20hp, so they'd be happy with it. That's fine, but it's no better then many of the catalog recommendations.

In my line of work, I'd be out of work, if I was down 20hp. That's the difference between a formula, and a "Rule of Thumb".
I do a lot of prototype cams for one of the major OEM's, and the lobe profiles are designed for the specific application, and that's what ends up in the production engines. Thanks to accurate formulas and modeling, we don't need multiple cam designs to find the optimum setup.
So you use a model and pop out a cam, and never try anything else?
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

CamKing wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm It would peak HP at 5,400, and be down at least 20hp from optimum. Of course, most people would never miss the 20hp, so they'd be happy with it. That's fine, but it's no better then many of the catalog recommendations.

In my line of work, I'd be out of work, if I was down 20hp. That's the difference between a formula, and a "Rule of Thumb".
I do a lot of prototype cams for one of the major OEM's, and the lobe profiles are designed for the specific application, and that's what ends up in the production engines. Thanks to accurate formulas and modeling, we don't need multiple cam designs to find the optimum setup.
Mike, I really don't want to go here as I have the utmost respect for you but there are EMC teams that have had your super-duper, "this is what you need" cams reground and picked up ~20 hp.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:26 am If I was building my first 383 and following David's lead, it would be 10.5:1 compression, Air-Gap intake, 195cc heads with a 2.05 intake valve and cammed 274 at .006 on a 107 based on his overlap charts and 128. Right out of the gate. Now tell me how "wrong" that is.
It would peak HP at 5,400, and be down at least 20hp from optimum. Of course, most people would never miss the 20hp, so they'd be happy with it. That's fine, but it's no better then many of the catalog recommendations.

Mike,
So how much HP will Rev's cam make?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:26 am What some of these usual characters refuse to acknowledge is that what Vizard did was compile over 10,000 dyno tests and do his best to make one part of cam selection as easy as possible for an engine platform that's still wildly popular. He's not talking about bandaids for intake-limited class racing or NASCAR or sled pulling and he's said as much. You only have to read what he has written.

His whole premise was to get you close enough to optimum that you could either go to the dyno with it, run an ICL sweep, rocker sweep and lash sweep (if solid) and nail it down flat (as opposed to showing up with a wheelbarrow full of cams that are all over the place) or if that isn't possible, and it so-often isn't, just install the damn thing and know that you're pretty damn close. And way closer than if you'd spent a half-hour reading the descriptions from 5 different cam companies. "Noticable idle, strong torque, 1,800 to 6,200 rpm, 283 to 400 cid."

I don't know why (actually I do) these same guys won't just see it for what it is. The argument that it doesn't work for 4-valve, 15,000 rpm Jap bikes or diesel container ships is horribly dishonest. A wise man would know what it's for and where to use it. Why the desperate attempt to "prove" your intellectual superiority? It seems you're doing the opposite.

If I was building my first 383 and following David's lead, it would be 10.5:1 compression, Air-Gap intake, 195cc heads with a 2.05 intake valve and cammed 274 at .006 on a 107 based on his overlap charts and 128. Right out of the gate. Now tell me how "wrong" that is.

Sure, if you want to get into the hows and whys, you can start digging deep into things. None of us have ever argued against that. Some of you just go out of your way to take what David has taught in a 124 page book and try to just crush it with things it was never intended to do.

Exercise a little common sense and some wisdom. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose a cam for a restricted, dirt track class to throw in your boat, it's on you. Use the information as intended.
I would have to know where you'd want the horsepower to peak, how much vacuum you needed, what the heads flowed, what it's going in, the vehicle weight, the transmission, the rearend ratio, what you're doing with it, and a million other things.

No one here can tell you where that cam will peak without the .050" duration, how the heads flow, what the lift is, etc....and for crying out loud, whether or not it's a hydraulic roller or a hydraulic flat tappet.

Your 274 @ .006" cam could be a 218 @ .050" quiet lobe that's easy on the valvetrain, or it could be a 226 @ .050" spring eater.

That's the issue with formulas. There's too many variables to come to any conclusion.

I had a very high-reputation cam grinder make a camshaft for a SBF build that I was doing, based on some "software". It was 28 peak hp down to a cam that I had spec'd and down over 10 average hp, with the same torque, and within 200 rpm of the same hp peaks.

A piece of software may get you close, but without experience on a certain engine family, or trying a hand-full cams, IMO, you're gonna miss the boat.

One of my pet peeves is hearing someone say, "I have a cam ground by so-and-so and it's perfect!" How do you know? How many different cams did you try?
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:02 pm Mike, I really don't want to go here as I have the utmost respect for you but there are EMC teams that have had your super-duper, "this is what you need" cams reground and picked up ~20 hp.
I've only done 2 EMC cams, in the last 5 years, and both customers said they were not planning on winning, and just wanted to make sure the engines lived. Good try though.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Mike,

Stan
Depends on the lobe profiles, the ports on the heads, a few other factors, and how happy the dyno is.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

CamKing wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Mike,

Stan
Depends on the lobe profiles, the ports on the heads, a few other factors, and how happy the dyno is.
So you had no clue on the ports on the heads, the lobe profiles, or "other factors" but you knew it would be down 20 hp from optimal and where it would peak? C'mon man.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

MadBill wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am "In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein people of low ability have illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority derives from the metacognitive inability of low-ability persons to recognize their own ineptitude; without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their actual competence or incompetence.[1]

Conversely, highly competent individuals may erroneously assume that tasks easy for them to perform are also easy for other people to perform, or that other people will have a similar understanding of subjects that they themselves are well-versed in.[2]"

I've recently discovered that the internet panders to the D-K DNA strands in all of us! I expect most SpeedTalkers get bombarded by the same kind of pop up click-bait quizzes and perception tests that I do? They tell you that only a super genius can get more than say 15 of 20 right. Like most, I think I'm well equipped to ace such challenges, and I mostly do. In fact, I realized I always do, even when I've had to guess at several answers. We are then encouraged to share our brilliance with all our friends, but wait: No one is that good and/or that lucky. What's going on?

I took a couple more tests, deliberately flubbing several answers. Still came back as a super-genius. Curious. Took a couple more, making ever effort to be 100% wrong. Some now scored me as pretty good but could use some help, but most still rated me as an Einstein. Well damn, they're all scams to harvest more clicks! Who could have imagined? #-o
This can go both ways and competent is subjective based on who you ask and the field in question.
In my mid 20's I had college educated airplane mechanic hire me to change the plugs and wires on his 4 cylinder car because he didn't know what spark plugs were or were they were located in his engine... They were the first thing you saw when opening the hood.
So I taught him how to do it instead of charging him for me to do it but thats when it occurred to me that everyone is considered competent in their own field of study and everyone is considered incompetent out side of it.

As for the FB test sometimes you can hit the back arrow on your browser and get a completely different complementary answer. :)
I have a hard time not giving people a hard time for their FB brilliance test if I know them well enough to know they can't do simple house hold repairs or maintenance their own vehicle but I also know they are capable of things that I am not.

If everyone could do everything then nobody would hire anyone!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

CamKing wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:13 pmI've only done 2 EMC cams, in the last 5 years, and both customers said they were not planning on winning, and just wanted to make sure the engines lived. Good try though.
No attempt at anything on my part. You just apparently aren't in the loop on the rest of the story. And I'm in no way trying to bash you; I'm just saying that not everyone does things the same way and we all fall short at some point.

And Brent, I know! People continue to throw far too much into what David and his publisher have determined is best for 124 pages and beat him over the head with it. Of course there are holes in it but anyone can find a hole in someone else's game. Take the previous comments for example.

I'll do my best to lobby David to address this sort of thing but my confidence level is just shy of none :lol:
Last edited by RevTheory on Sat May 19, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

blykins wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:00 pm

So you use a model and pop out a cam, and never try anything else?
It's a mathematical formula, for the cam. Models are used for other parts of the engine(valve size, port size, runner length, etc).
These are brand new engine designs, where every part is being designed from the ground up, to produce a specific amount of power, in a specific rpm band, pass all emissions tests, and use a specific amount of fuel per hour.
The cam is designed to meet all these requirements. If I screwed up, and the cam didn't meet the requirements, it would be very costly. Besides having to design new cams, they would have to have new valve springs designed for the new cams, and re-do all the durability testing on the valvetrain.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

blykins wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:20 pm
CamKing wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Mike,

Stan
So you had no clue on the ports on the heads, the lobe profiles, or "other factors" but you knew it would be down 20 hp from optimal and where it would peak? C'mon man.
I have plenty of clues(274@.006", 195cc ports, 383ci, 10.5:1 compression, 107 LSA). That's why I said "At least 20hp down".
I just can't give an exact number.
Maybe a genius like yourself, could figure it out. :lol:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

You don't have enough clues and why do you always resort to personal jabs when someone questions what you're doing?

Get over yourself and your huge ego.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:26 pm
CamKing wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:13 pmI've only done 2 EMC cams, in the last 5 years, and both customers said they were not planning on winning, and just wanted to make sure the engines lived. Good try though.
No attempt at anything on my part. You just apparently aren't in the loop on the rest of the story. And I'm in no way trying to bash you; I'm just saying that not everyone does things the same way and we all fall short at some point.

And Brent, I know! People continue to throw far too much into what David and his publisher have determined is best for 124 pages and beat him over the head with it. Of course there are holes in it but anyone can find a hole in someone else's game. Take the previous comments for example.

I'll do my best to lobby David to address this sort of thing but my confidence level is just shy of none :lol:
Just to be fair to Mike, if someone did ask him to do an EMC cam and did ask him to make it easy on the valvetrain, I'd say it would be down in horsepower to another grind.....but if all of this is the case, he did what they asked him to do.
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

When has an EMC team ever been easy on the valvetrain? I'm not buying it but that's just me. And please don't mistake me: I'm in no means trying to undermine Mike.
Last edited by RevTheory on Sat May 19, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.