General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Cam Data from Well-Developed Engines

Post by GARY C »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pm
GARY C wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:56 pm In the mid 90's I think it was John Lingenfelter made a name for himself by increasing the power of the new Corvette by around 100 horsepower by only reworking what came from the factory and was completely undetectable unless you disassembled the engine, he did it to show how much the factory engineers were leaving on the table.
EDIT! Some of this may be by design in conjunction with the aftermarket based on things done with later GM products where they started offing factory installed aftermarket upgrades.
EDIT,EDIT... Shouldn't these elaborate state of the art programs be able to overcome all of that and leave nothing on the table? After all that seem to be Jon's claim is that through these programs you can solve anything?
In the early to mid 1990's there wasn't even a parametric CAD system capable of modeling an engine.
I was working on development of the CAD system they eventually used at GM; Unigraphics so I know all the details about what they could do and when they could do it.
That still doesn't change the fact that a nobody with nothing could better the product produced by engineers with a million dollar budget, at some point you have to quit sitting in your chair tuning mediocre stuff and get your hands dirty to see what your missing.

We could discuss his later work developing the SBC Prostock engine and his shelves full of intakes, cams, headers and actual dyno testing but that has nothing to do with computers.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

GARY C wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 pm
GARY C wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:56 pm In the mid 90's I think it was John Lingenfelter made a name for himself by increasing the power of the new Corvette by around 100 horsepower by only reworking what came from the factory and was completely undetectable unless you disassembled the engine, he did it to show how much the factory engineers were leaving on the table.
EDIT! Some of this may be by design in conjunction with the aftermarket based on things done with later GM products where they started offing factory installed aftermarket upgrades.
EDIT,EDIT... Shouldn't these elaborate state of the art programs be able to overcome all of that and leave nothing on the table? After all that seem to be Jon's claim is that through these programs you can solve anything?
In the early to mid 1990's there wasn't even a parametric CAD system capable of modeling an engine.
I was working on development of the CAD system they eventually used at GM; Unigraphics so I know all the details about what they could do and when they could do it.
That still doesn't change the fact that a nobody with nothing could better the product produced by engineers with a million dollar budget, at some point you have to quit sitting in your chair tuning mediocre stuff and get your hands dirty to see what your missing.

We could discuss his later work developing the SBC Prostock engine and his shelves full of intakes, cams, headers and actual dyno testing but that has nothing to do with computers.
You are talking about a different criteria. The comparison is meaningless.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:33 pm
GARY C wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 pm

You are talking about a different criteria. The comparison is meaningless.
Now your getting it!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Wow, this is hilarious! :lol: #-o
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm I do what you are talking about for a living, you are very confused about what happens in development.
Generally it is possible to design to fill a new niche with different criteria, but if you try to keep the same criteria there is very little to nothing on the table in a 2018 car.
Yep! I'm wrong and you're right! Facts don't matter, you're right. All you have to do is deflect the topic and look down your nose and post little more than condescending "answers" and then hide behind the false pretense of an NDA

You carry on about peer review, why will you never put your name on an actual number?
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

this place seriously needs a moderator to clean all this bullshit bickering up. :roll:
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

groberts101 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:42 pm this place seriously needs a moderator to clean all this bullshit bickering up. :roll:
Or get rid of the bullshit people. Including but not limited to me.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:40 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm I do what you are talking about for a living, you are very confused about what happens in development.
Generally it is possible to design to fill a new niche with different criteria, but if you try to keep the same criteria there is very little to nothing on the table in a 2018 car.
Yep! I'm wrong and you're right! Facts don't matter, you're right. All you have to do is deflect the topic and look down your nose and post little more than condescending "answers" and then hide behind the false pretense of an NDA

You carry on about peer review, why will you never put your name on an actual number?
Because a number will not give you any knowledge.
I am trying to help you understand the concepts that bring you to the numbers so that you can understand their significance.

Just giving you a number is like saying "apples are better than oranges".
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

Don already suggested adding "Friends" or "Foes", some should do exactly that.
I think if you add a foe it blocks you from seeing each others posts..
Mike R
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

RevTheory wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Your taking it as "looking down your nose", when there is allot more to learn from it if you put the petty stuff behind!
If you just want an easy button for a limited criteria, just move on. If your a real gear head that doesn't know it all, but wants to learn, try looking at it a different way. Your letting your emotions get in the way of learning! :wink:
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Headguy wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:47 pm
groberts101 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:42 pm this place seriously needs a moderator to clean all this bullshit bickering up. :roll:
Or get rid of the bullshit people. Including but not limited to me.
I'm getting ready to take a leave of absence. Lots of egos here and no valuable discussion.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

pastry_chef wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:50 pm Don already suggested adding "Friends" or "Foes", some should do exactly that.
I think if you add a foe it blocks you from seeing each others posts..
Thanks Mike -- I was just going to post that.

Click on your username in upper right corner > User Control Panel > Friends & Foes > Manage Foes
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin