Crankshaft welding..

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gn69z28
Pro
Pro
Crankshaft welding..

Post by gn69z28 »

Have a crankshaft that needs welding. We once used someone in I think South Carolina. All they did was cranks but I can't remember who it was. Any ideas? Thanks
gn69z28
Pro
Pro
Re: Crankshaft welding..

Post by gn69z28 »

Never mind we figured out who it was.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

What needs to be done to the Crank?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

gn69z28 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:05 am Have a crankshaft that needs welding. We once used someone in I think South Carolina. All they did was cranks but I can't remember who it was. Any ideas? Thanks
Spartanburg Crankshaft in Spartanburg SC has a good reputation.

We have had very good results with Shaft Tech in Fostoria OH, if you don't mind shipping.
gn69z28
Pro
Pro

Post by gn69z28 »

To answer what needs to be done to the crank. It's a 4 stroke Yamaha outboard crank that someone welded the no 1 rod journal on and did a horrible job. It's out of round by .010 and the welding didn't go all the way to the filets. It needs to have all that ground out and rewelded.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

For Marine engine crankshafts talk to Marine Crankshaft in Santa Ana, California. David is the top outboard crankshaft man in the USA!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
gn69z28
Pro
Pro

Post by gn69z28 »

It's an outboard but it's a 4 stroke. The crank is the same as an automotive crank with the same type of bearings. Completely different than the 2 stroke cranks.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

gn69z28 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm It's an outboard but it's a 4 stroke. The crank is the same as an automotive crank with the same type of bearings. Completely different than the 2 stroke cranks.
I would call Performance Crankshaft in Royal Oak Township, Michigan ... (586) 549-7557.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Grinding out bad weld is very labor intensive and costly!
You might want to save yourself some cash and use big Ass electric grinder that you can rent and a 10" abrasive disc to get the job well started for who ever will reweld and grind the Crank.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I am very familiar with 4 stoke outboard engines. They are not automotive type crankshafts as most are not 90 degree V-6's or V-8's and are configured and sized quite differently than automotive crankshafts. That's why I recommended David at Marine Crankshaft. Just ask around the high performance outboard engine community and you will have his name and company recommended all over the world more than most.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

mag2555 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:14 am Grinding out bad weld is very labor intensive and costly!
You might want to save yourself some cash and use big Ass electric grinder that you can rent and a 10" abrasive disc to get the job well started for who ever will reweld and grind the Crank.
No way...take it to who ever is going to do the job and consult them first. You might make more of a mess trying to grind out the last disaster. That's like trying to help out the body man and rough everything in first...usually they grind off all the crap someone else put on and start fresh anyway. Just cost them more work is all.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

some crank welding machine use submerged arc welding
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I get the reason behind the weld repair has to be there is no cranks available.
If you can find a shaft it will be better then the 2nd go around welding and regrinding as the heat treatment will need to be done to the complete crank. And if it was done before on just a single journal you are going to invite it to break and the end result will be more costly.
I would do a better search for a crank as we see those engines all the time for repairs and 3 out of 10 the block is junk and good for parts only.
PM me the details with the year model and serial numbers and I can see if the local dealers have any available.
The local dealers here have hugh boneyards full of Yammy stuff cause the parts are costly and they don't want to do these type of repairs unless they have good customers that pay promptly
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Another vote for Marine Crankshaft in Santa Ana.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

http://www.marinecrankshaftinc.com/outboard.html
61332BFB-4F5B-4D7E-A434-02C320586EEF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o