Warp Speed wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:53 am
B Original wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:49 am
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:33 am

Begin by reading any of the articles linked here:

http://www.profblairandassociates.com/RET_Articles.html

Most important relative to specing a cam read the paper I linked previously:

Here it is again.

http://www.profblairandassociates.com/p ... basics.pdf

If anyone finds it difficult to read, I would give my very strongest urging that you redouble your efforts to understand it.
It is really worth the effort.

If the math looks hard to you at first, try doing some of it, before you know it, you will be saying "is that all it is?"
If you got at least C's in high school, you can do the math.

If you find yourself hungering for more the two major books that he authored authored are a life time of reading alone.

If you want still more, the software he developed (or a derivative of it) is used by every serious engine development operation that I know of, including every OEM and racing team. Software like Dynomation, EngMod 4T, Eng Mod 2T, Engine Analyzer Pro, are all based on his work.

He has been a consultant at every OEM that I have worked at, every racing engine engineer that has met him, drops his name in a conversation.

His work is still supported by his associate Hans Herman, he consulted on a project that I worked on this year.
Ask an engineer what time it is and he'll explained to you how a Timex works. Ask me or Gary what time it is and will tell you its 5:33 a.m. eastern standard time and I bet Jon still don't get it. Ask David vizard what time it is and he will ask you what time zone then give you the correct answer then ask you what questions you need answered to help you understand how he arrived at his answer.

And warp speed might be able to help answer this next question considering this is not proprietary information at his top secret

My question is if you got in your car and travel faster than the speed of light with your headlights on. Would you die from a fusion reaction created inside the headlights as the energy build up from not being able to leave the light production container. If this is correct would not this counter the time-travel paradox.
#-o
I’m with you Warp.

What made this site great was it got into the nitty gritty of engine engineering. How are you suppose to learn how all this works and attempt to improve upon it if you don’t understand the uderlying physics?

Imo, that attitude has all but killed this place. People looking for ho-hum build recipes and that’s it. I can’t tell you how boring that stuff is. It’s the same 383 Chevy or whatever street engine. It’s been done over, and over, and over again. If you people want that, then buy David’s books, buy Car Craft, watch Horsepower TV (or whatever it’s called).

If it’s too much for someone to learn or understand, then take some time and learn. It’ll take some practice, but you may be surprised what you’re capable of.
-Bob
B Original
Re: 427 SBC test debunks 128 debunckers

Post by B Original »

Bob isn't that what Advanced engine Tech category is for? And on the lighter side is time travel so ho-hum? LOL
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:10 am
Warp Speed wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:53 am
Ask an engineer what time it is and he'll explained to you how a Timex works. Ask me or Gary what time it is and will tell you its 5:33 a.m. eastern standard time and I bet Jon still don't get it. Ask David vizard what time it is and he will ask you what time zone then give you the correct answer then ask you what questions you need answered to help you understand how he arrived at his answer.

And warp speed might be able to help answer this next question considering this is not proprietary information at his top secret

My question is if you got in your car and travel faster than the speed of light with your headlights on. Would you die from a fusion reaction created inside the headlights as the energy build up from not being able to leave the light production container. If this is correct would not this counter the time-travel paradox.
#-o
I’m with you Warp.

What made this site great was it got into the nitty gritty of engine engineering. How are you suppose to learn how all this works and attempt to improve upon it if you don’t understand the uderlying physics?

Imo, that attitude has all but killed this place. People looking for ho-hum build recipes and that’s it. I can’t tell you how boring that stuff is. It’s the same 383 Chevy or whatever street engine. It’s been done over, and over, and over again. If you people want that, then buy David’s books, buy Car Craft, watch Horsepower TV (or whatever it’s called).

If it’s too much for someone to learn or understand, then take some time and learn. It’ll take some practice, but you may be surprised what you’re capable of.
I wouldn't know physics if I saw it but I can build a house or a car from the ground up, I have owned in excess of 50 vehicles of about every make and have never needed to hire a mechanic and I can spell mechanic.
The engines that are done in excess are because that is what is dominating the market so the smart people are providing the people what they want.
Do you guys take the time to learn something you have no need for?
Personally I have learned SBC, BBC, Pontiac, SBF, BBF, and now LS because it was needed... You could add in small engine and a few foreign jobs along the way.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

B Original wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:55 pm
zums wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:31 pm Haven't signed in in a while, apparently aint missing much, ST should start another bar called FAG Talk, because this is all a waste of time, gary, gvx bunoriginal, dv and all the other assholes that suck each others diks that sit on their pc all day and get fat spewing bullshit should open their own forum called cool aid talk, you fucks cant handle that magazine articles and their authors arent the gods you think they are, much more quite shops and people on here making way more power with less chest beating and way more efficient engines- cya
Tom
Well I sit on my ass all day today I got up and took a break today a time or two . I went out and helped one of my texts cut the exhaust bolt out of a Ford Explorer so he could finish pulling the transmission out

After sitting for awhile I got up for another break and have two Tech disassemble and reassemble and AC and heater box I have a 2011 Dodge Caravan so he can put the dash back together

Then after this next break I went out tore down a 46re and got a parts list put the case in the jet spray cabinet let it clean

went to sit down on my ass but this time I put a parts order in

I got up for another break and I had 2 350 blocks just back from the Machine Shop so I prepped the cylinder walls and took them out back got the pressure washer, the brushes out, thoroughly clean the blocks then blow them dry before the block started flash rust and oiled cylinders down rolled both back inside done the cam bearings in the frost plugs my break was almost over but I still found time to lay out and Stage all the parts for the first short block on the bench where I set up to build this engine

man it's so tough getting ready to sit on my ass and work all day I so look forward to my next break time

Sit on my eyes for a while then I took another break went out and cleaned up the mess I made three different work areas

Then I got up and I had to take another break dog-gone-it had a 727 a Tech just pulled it out and we throw it on the bench and ripped it apart for parts list they'll have to order in the morning Call Transtar close by now and while I was there at the bench I went ahead and cleaned up the 46re stuff and built the drums and Pump so I can get a head start on that project tomorrow

So yes I'll sit on my ass all day posting on speed talk although I took a few breaks to make sure had enough cash flow coming in to make payroll on Friday

So Zuma what you do today while you wasn't having God Envy writing your post
I guess I should apologize for being self employed and trusting Gods word about being debt free and being able to set my own scheduled... Sorry for being free!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

This is a buy my book, buy my engine, kiss my ass thread, totally useless.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

DrillDawg wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:19 am This is a buy my book, buy my engine, kiss my ass thread, totally useless.
This is an opinionated whinny post...So why don't you start your own thread with your engine build?
Please Note!
B Original

Post by B Original »

DrillDawg wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:19 am This is a buy my book, buy my engine, kiss my ass thread, totally useless.
Yet you are so consumed and mesmerised buy it you continue participate. Please stop not contributing
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

This thing may be too far gone to bring back around but I'll try:

If I were reading and had a grasp on what David teaches in his books, I'd select ~85 degrees of overlap from the description in his overlap charts and using 1.7/1.6 rockers, the LSA would be a 106 using 128.

Wanting to take a 427 to 7,000 with AFR heads, I'd opt for a 6* exhaust bias. The cam would look something like 294/300 "advertised" and on a big small block like this, probably mid 250s on the intake. Aggressive solid roller for sure. I would call my cam company of choice to make sure I have selected a lobe family that isn't brutal on the valve train.

If David bothers coming back to this thread, I'd like to see if I'm close. If I am, I'd say getting power numbers like that on your first cam is one hell of a step in the right direction if you don't have the money to try the 5 different cams you'd get from 5 different companies.

That is what David is trying to teach.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Ask me or Gary what time it is and will tell you its 5:33 a.m. eastern standard time and I bet Jon still don't get it.

But it's not?
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:11 am You choose a BMEP target for an engine before you start the build and design to it.

You can compute the timing from the values and find a shelf cam that matches it.
Source for a calculator or formula to compute valve timing values from target BMEP?
Mike R
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I would recommend this thread to any millennial that is called lazy by a baby boomer. :lol:
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
B Original

Post by B Original »

joe 90 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:35 am
Ask me or Gary what time it is and will tell you its 5:33 a.m. eastern standard time and I bet Jon still don't get it.

But it's not?
The answer is relative to the moment the Timex exist in "Grasshopper"

Edit ; It does not have to be relative if it exists in polynomial time
Last edited by B Original on Fri May 11, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:08 am Btw, I'm not the "smartest guy here", not even close. But I'm no daisy either! :wink:
Don't sell yourself short. You're a hell of a daisy. :lol:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

Some may find this feature helpful

From the FAQ page

"How can I add / remove users to my Friends or Foes list?
You can add users to your list in two ways. Within each user’s profile, there is a link to add them to either your Friend or Foe list. Alternatively, from your User Control Panel, you can directly add users by entering their member name. You may also remove users from your list using the same page."
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin