427 SBC test debunks 128 debunckers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
427 SBC test debunks 128 debunckers

Post by David Vizard »

A while back I saw a post were the poster recommended that the guy who started the thread not bother with my BBC book (after all it was written by - of all people, a journalist and what the heck could they know except what pro engine builders were prepared to tell them) but go to a pro and have them build the engine. My guess is this paragon of tech knowledge has never even read my BBC book! Also over 2000 pro engine builders have attended my seminars since 1998. The late Randy Dorton brought about 4 of Hendricks engine builders along to my 1998 Charlotte seminar and at the first break two hours into a 22 hour seminar told me he had already got his money back. But what the heck what did Randy Dorton know about racing?

It looks like I am unfortunately going to fight the prejudice brought to bear by the preconceived notions of just a few uninformed folk in a far from silent minority for the rest of my life.

I am posting this 427 engine build as a demonstration of the technical functionality that I strive to put into my books at, might I add, great personal cost. To get this accuracy I need to sell about 40,000 copies just to recover test expenses. And to those critics who continually refute the tech material I publish let me say that from those who have read my books and attended my classes the #1 comment I get is - 'it worked just like you said'.

Well guys of course it did - I tested the s**t out of it before I made it public either editorially of verbally via a seminar.

In the 48 years (and over 4000 magazine articles & 35 book) I have been doing this I have not had not a single response telling me 'I did that and it did not work'

What you see in this dyno test is precisely what the heading on the dyno sheet say it is - a test of my ability to pass on totally accurate tech on how to build horsepower (and more importantly - torque).

Note this is a street driver and is on 87 octane fuel. Also of great importance to pro engine builders who's time is also money, there is no super detailing here. The parts where taken out of the box and unless a misfit was seen, not touched prior to assembly. The entire spec Is DV and the motor built up at Terry Walters as a straight forward deal you could build at home.

Note the 1.43 lbs-ft per cube and that was achieved right off the drawing board first time around. The cam spec came from my TorqueMaster cam program and BTW the much criticized 128 rule gave the same answer within 0.2 of a degree for the LCA thus debunking the negative criticisms of that. Criticisms might I add made by engine builders who both appear to overate their tech knowledge and also have never put it to the test. Guy's just think what the outcome would be if I did my book research in such a sloppy fashion! In case you cannot guess it would be professional suicide! (please note, anyone with 360, 331 or shaft in their moniker the LCA is a vital cam selection input (if you can accurately establish it beforehand which my critics obviously cannot or they would not be arguing the point now) and is absolutely not a result. If you cannot grasp that then your ability to absorb and even consider new tech is seriously in question -----)

For those DV tech doubting head porters out there here is a question. Lets say you came up with a super wiz-bang set of heads that could potentially earn you a fortune if put into production. News - you won't sell anything like as much as soon as you would by getting believable editorial from an accepted What tech writer so who would you choose to spec out and test the motor and then produce a technically accurate story? I am especially wanting to see an answer to this one from certain sarcastically outspoken posters.

Look guys - I work hard just to satisfy the needs of those enthusiasts that want the really functional tech. Why all the negative criticism? And BTW most of it comes from guys who don't give away diddly squat to the performance community. Instead they spend 90% of their time criticizing those who attempt to share sound tech stuff.

And also there are those mean spirited that are going to say - 'sure got lucky this time'. That will be another of those ill informed responses I have to bear the brunt of. The truth or otherwise can be found from checking the torque per cube of the engines tests I have posted on ST in the last two years or so. Take the project Terry and I did for GM on the 572 street BBC. 1.395 lbs-ft with just a 9.4/1 CR. Cam - no multiple tests - was highly effective first time around (I would have been amazed if it wasn't!). The one selected conformed exactly to the predicted TM output and to the BBC cam calc # equivalent to the SBC 128 number corrected for the lower CR.

Then there was the 511 BBC with the AFR heads. Could have been built by anyone with my BBC book - 1.468 lbs-ft on 93 octane pump gas.

289 SBF 411 ft-lbs (1.41 lbs-ft/cube) first and only cam used.

306 with DV modified heads & GT 40 intake, 428 lbs-ft (1.398 ft-lbs/cube) The key # for a SBF is 127 and dictated the LCA rather than the 128 for SBC. 87 octane.

My 649 hp low buck 383 SBC - 1.39 Ft-lbs/cube. Cam- the first one off the computer.

So I ask all of you out there why is it that some folk like 360, 331 and 'crunk-un-daft' cannot believe that I can come up with something totally original. Even with my name on over 40 patents compared to a sum of ??? between the afor mentioned of critics(fill in the likely amount for your selves but a guess close to zero with probably be about right)

Final question - are you going to believe these guys who are voicing an opinion based on a zero number of tests or mine which are on public display and would be shot to ribbons in a few weeks after publishing by any one of the many who do take my advice seriously if there was any doubt about the functionality of what I was advising.

If you hav e any comments please respond without sarcasm and do so politely please.

DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David Vizard on Tue May 08, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: 427 SBC test debunks 128 debunckers

Post by RevTheory »

^^^Vizard troll^^^

David, I love your work but I think you're a glutton for punishment :D

Stout, low-octane street killer, btw. Very nice!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I need to look those dart heads up asap. Thanks!
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

There are certain folk who have ticked me off to the point that I am going to enjoy retaliation. But I have to do this carefully. Why? well I am sure you have heard the old saying that one should be careful arguing with a fool as onlookers may not know which is the fool.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

Play to the trolls, the trolls will play you!
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

David
Of all the testing you have done over the years you have strived to give the most accurate details and get concrete repeatable results that a child can follow.
That said for all the naysayers out there all I can say is there is a generation of people that are less then useless without their phone in their hands to forward texts all F***ing day and do not know their hole from an ass in the ground and have nothing better to do then say BS my buddie did it a better way all I have to say to them is F O.

Keep up the good work you are light years ahead of the wannabe's and always will be.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

From my original post - If you hav e any comments please respond without sarcasm and do so politely please.

VD ( geez that sounds like something you would not want to catch) Do you have enough verbal capability to actually voice your opinion in words rather than pictures (maybe I should send you some crayons!)

As for the 'Shame on you' logo tell me on what grounds you think that applies. (all this coming from a guy who seems not to be able to deliver a complete and logically developed sentance let alone an opinion of any value.

DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

DrillDawg wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:31 pm Play to the trolls, the trolls will play you!
You are so right here but here is a warning:-
Trolls beware - I'm the new troll on the block!

DV
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

Personally, I enjoy and appreciate the contribution you bring to this forum. You bring up thought provoking ideas here and in your books, then demonstrate them on the dyno where the results speak for themselves. Keep up the work, as us of this community who are fascinated by this internal combustion machine need more people sharing ideas and results, hopefully in a civil manner.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Misc. comments/questions...

1. I suppose there are a lot of people here who think I'm an idiot 'cuz (a) I build BB street/strip Mopars and (b) I own a BUNCH of DV books going back 20+ years. :lol: (I'm no fan boy or nut swinger, just a gearhead tech junky...)

2. At what point will additional details of the build be provided? I wish my junk could make that much power on 87-octane... or 93, for that matter.

3. How come you can debunk something, but you never hear about something being bunked? :D

Carry on!
Last edited by BradH on Tue May 08, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

Is there a write up on this engine somewhere? I would really be interested in reading about it. I have bought at least 10 books from you mr. Vizard and it's hard to overestimate how much knowledge I have gained that I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere else. So for that I thank you and look forward to your future work
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Tom Walker wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:53 pm Personally, I enjoy and appreciate the contribution you bring to this forum. You bring up thought provoking ideas here and in your books, then demonstrate them on the dyno where the results speak for themselves. Keep up the work, as us of this community who are fascinated by this internal combustion machine need more people sharing ideas and results, hopefully in a civil manner.
Tom,
As ever I will do my best to do just that.
DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

BradH wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:55 pm Misc. comments/questions...

1. I suppose there are a lot of people here who think I'm an idiot 'cuz (a) I build BB street/strip Mopars and (b) I own a BUNCH of DV books going back 20+ years. :lol: (I'm no fan boy or nut swinger, just a gearhead tech junky...)

2. At what point will additional details of the build be provided? I wish my junk could make that much power on 87-octane... or 93, for that matter.

3. How come you can debunk something, but you never hear about something being bunked? :D

Carry on!
Ah, a humorous response. Thanks for your kind words Brad and there is nothing wrong with BB Mopars that can't be fixed by folk with the knowledge and effort.
DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

gnicholson wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:56 pm Is there a write up on this engine somewhere? I would really be interested in reading about it. I have bought at least 10 books from you mr. Vizard and it's hard to overestimate how much knowledge I have gained that I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere else. So for that I thank you and look forward to your future work
I will be doing a detailed add in the 'for sale section' about this engine in the next couple of days.

DV