Engine machine shop destroyed my block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

John@RED
Re: Engine machine shop destroyed my block

Post by John@RED »

Yes, I was talking about the sleeve being off center, and the consequential sharp edge step, only on anti-thrust side, being 0.0035 high, at 0.5" from bore bottom and piston bottom when at bdc:
isn't that going to make the piston rocking more and rubbing coating and aluminum off from the skirt?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

again, sharp edges = sanding roll
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

John@RED wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:27 am Yes, I was talking about the sleeve being off center, and the consequential sharp edge step, only on anti-thrust side, being 0.0035 high, at 0.5" from bore bottom and piston bottom when at bdc:
isn't that going to make the piston rocking more and rubbing coating and aluminum off from the skirt?
As a hobby machinist (not block stuff) with several mold maker friends as consultants, getting shit dead dead nuts is hard.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

englertracing wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:44 am
John@RED wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:27 am Yes, I was talking about the sleeve being off center, and the consequential sharp edge step, only on anti-thrust side, being 0.0035 high, at 0.5" from bore bottom and piston bottom when at bdc:
As a hobby machinist (not block stuff) with several mold maker friends as consultants, getting shit dead dead nuts is hard.
Yes it is. And you don't know if the cylinder was in the right spot to begin with. If you put it back to print it may be wrong. You have to go off the existing bore.

The OP news to paper roll it so he feels better and get racing. BTW, if you take that hole .010 over you never see that.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

It's not hard when I do it, but there WILL be a step if you sleeve it the same size it was.
I think it is better offset it slightly so the step in only on one side, this way you get to choose which side it's on.
I think they chose wrong. If they put it the other way it would make mor3e sense. But.....not a big deal. They should have relieved the sharp edges.

Who is learning more from this you or them?
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

John@RED wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:27 amYes, I was talking about the sleeve being off center
When you rebore a block you either locate the boring bar on the deck or on a bar through the mains.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee the factory's original job lined up to either...
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

I really didn't catch what type of engine this was,only the bore size was small in diameter..
How many bores were sleeved ?
I have never seen a sleeve installed without it effecting the bore or bores next to it.
Hopefully you didn't create more problems than cured.