Anyone ever tried drilling tiny hole in PC seal for stainless valves with iron guides?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Anyone ever tried drilling tiny hole in PC seal for stainless valves with iron guides?

Post by NXBOY »

Put new guides in some old heads with new budget Stainless valves. Done it before but first time used double springs and need P/C seal? The guides are cut down for them anyway. I might see if I can get a small unbrella seal to work instead. What clearance should I run? There at .002 now don't want any to gall and stick in guide. I still feel someone should come up with a PC seal that lets some oil in for cheap street/ strip builds with factory heads and all the stainless valves being used. I know coating valves would work and Magnesem Bronze guides is the guide thats needed$$. Not going to have much room for floating seals, might leave exhaust without seals. Boy I forgot how nice aluminum heads where!!
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Anyone ever tried drilling tiny hole in PC seal for stainless valves with iron guides?

Post by pamotorman »

on all Teflon intake seals i ran a valve guide reamer thru them and used umbrella seals on the exhaust
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Anyone ever tried drilling tiny hole in PC seal for stainless valves with iron guides?

Post by engineguyBill »

You will notice that PC Teflon seals have a slight taper at the top of the seal that acts as an oil reservoir. This feature meters a slight amount of oil down to the valve guide, each time the valve opens. One of the problems that we see very often is that engine builders do not allow enough stem to guide clearance and the stems gall. Always use recommended stem clearance when running PC brand Teflon seals and all will be fine.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

With the pc style teflon seals, i have always removed the small wire ring around the small top end to take some tension off. Never had any problem doing this and with the ring off, there is still a good amount of squeeze on the valve stem.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

i always used camshaft moly kote to lube the guide and valve stem so i had no dry start ups
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

Sounds Good, thanks, Was afraid I was over thinking it lol [-o<
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

fdicrasto wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:21 pm With the pc style teflon seals, i have always removed the small wire ring around the small top end to take some tension off. Never had any problem doing this and with the ring off, there is still a good amount of squeeze on the valve stem.
Same here, I have also run race only with no exhaust seal, a little smoke on start up but good after. Probably a better option these days for exhaust.

On street strip set up I remove the wire ring on exhaust only regardless of guide, if for nothing else but peace of mind.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Competition Products have PC seals with a controlled amount of leak
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

Why not use metal clad viton seals? Use them almost weekly on iron guides with stainless valves no dramas with less than .002” clearance on an 11/32” stem...
GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Post by GOSFAST »

NXBOY wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:30 am Put new guides in some old heads with new budget Stainless valves. Done it before but first time used double springs and need P/C seal? The guides are cut down for them anyway. I might see if I can get a small unbrella seal to work instead. What clearance should I run? There at .002 now don't want any to gall and stick in guide. I still feel someone should come up with a PC seal that lets some oil in for cheap street/ strip builds with factory heads and all the stainless valves being used. I know coating valves would work and Magnesem Bronze guides is the guide thats needed$$. Not going to have much room for floating seals, might leave exhaust without seals. Boy I forgot how nice aluminum heads where!!
If you can locate some of the older "rubber & teflon" stem seals they have a built-in metering system for oil control?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. They were originally mfd by Perfect-Circle, not sure if they are still available any longer!
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
mdengine

Post by mdengine »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:50 am Why not use metal clad viton seals? Use them almost weekly on iron guides with stainless valves no dramas with less than .002” clearance on an 11/32” stem...
I was thinking the same thing.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'm going to be inspecting all the valves in my sbm project and I need advice on how you guys install these newer style seals. Seems like the old ones get destroyed when removed... try as I might just couldn't get them off in one piece.

What tool or method works for a trouble free install?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Krooser wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 am I'm going to be inspecting all the valves in my sbm project and I need advice on how you guys install these newer style seals. Seems like the old ones get destroyed when removed... try as I might just couldn't get them off in one piece.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kpm- ... jKEALw_wcB
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

pamotorman wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:11 am
Krooser wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 am I'm going to be inspecting all the valves in my sbm project and I need advice on how you guys install these newer style seals. Seems like the old ones get destroyed when removed... try as I might just couldn't get them off in one piece.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kpm- ... jKEALw_wcB
Thank you sir....
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

GOSFAST wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:12 am
NXBOY wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:30 am Put new guides in some old heads with new budget Stainless valves. Done it before but first time used double springs and need P/C seal? The guides are cut down for them anyway. I might see if I can get a small unbrella seal to work instead. What clearance should I run? There at .002 now don't want any to gall and stick in guide. I still feel someone should come up with a PC seal that lets some oil in for cheap street/ strip builds with factory heads and all the stainless valves being used. I know coating valves would work and Magnesem Bronze guides is the guide thats needed$$. Not going to have much room for floating seals, might leave exhaust without seals. Boy I forgot how nice aluminum heads where!!
If you can locate some of the older "rubber & teflon" stem seals they have a built-in metering system for oil control?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. They were originally mfd by Perfect-Circle, not sure if they are still available any longer!

Perfect Circle manufactured the original Teflon positive type valve seals through a joint-venture agreement with a company in Avilla, Indiana. MAHLE bought the Perfect Circle Division from Dana Corporation in 2007 and the original, genuine PC seals are available from MAHLE. Genuine PC Teflon valve seals are also available through several of the major camshaft manufacturers.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist