High oil pressure

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert
High oil pressure

Post by redliner »

I built a new Dart SHP 414 sbc with a Melling Billet oil pump. It has 60 lbs. of oil pressure at idle and runs up to 90+ at 4000 rpm. This sounds like to much pressure to me. This is a fresh build. I can put the other spring in but is only good for a 10 lbs reduction. I am running 30 wt valvoline. Does anyone make a racing oil that is straight 10 wt.? What do you guys think... to much oil pressure?
statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: High oil pressure

Post by statsystems »

redliner wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:02 pm I built a new Dart SHP 414 sbc with a Melling Billet oil pump. It has 60 lbs. of oil pressure at idle and runs up to 90+ at 4000 rpm. This sounds like to much pressure to me. This is a fresh build. I can put the other spring in but is only good for a 10 lbs reduction. I am running 30 wt valvoline. Does anyone make a racing oil that is straight 10 wt.? What do you guys think... to much oil pressure?
Run a 5w30. I can't think of a single reason to run a single grade oil. Ever.
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

statsystems wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:13 pm
redliner wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:02 pm I built a new Dart SHP 414 sbc with a Melling Billet oil pump. It has 60 lbs. of oil pressure at idle and runs up to 90+ at 4000 rpm. This sounds like to much pressure to me. This is a fresh build. I can put the other spring in but is only good for a 10 lbs reduction. I am running 30 wt valvoline. Does anyone make a racing oil that is straight 10 wt.? What do you guys think... to much oil pressure?
Sounds good. What do you think about that 0w20 stuff out there. This is a fresh build and I wonder how long I should run dino oil before switching to synthetic?
gnicholson
Pro
Pro

Post by gnicholson »

Are you sure the pump bypass is opening and what pressure is it calibrated? That's one of the reasons I always check oil pump bypass valve pressure before I install them on the engine. Sure glider oil will drop the pressure some but I would want to know if everything's working like it's supposed to work. Besides that will mostly only drop idle oil pressure the pump may have to spin a faster with a thin oil but eventually it will do the same thing. I built a big block was fairly tight bearing clearances with a Titan pump. I had the same basic problem you do too much oil pressure in my case the pump itself was working fine it just wouldn't bypass the volume of oil it took to keep the pressure from climbing. After changing to a lower volume pump the problem was eliminated
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

gnicholson wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 pm Are you sure the pump bypass is opening and what pressure is it calibrated? That's one of the reasons I always check oil pump bypass valve pressure before I install them on the engine. Sure glider oil will drop the pressure some but I would want to know if everything's working like it's supposed to work. Besides that will mostly only drop idle oil pressure the pump may have to spin a faster with a thin oil but eventually it will do the same thing. I built a big block was fairly tight bearing clearances with a Titan pump. I had the same basic problem you do too much oil pressure in my case the pump itself was working fine it just wouldn't bypass the volume of oil it took to keep the pressure from climbing. After changing to a lower volume pump the problem was eliminated
No I put the pump on out of the box as recommended in the instructions.The also call for a standard volume /pressure pump for the SHP block but thought the billet pump would be fine...
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Used one of those pumps, with the low psi spring it has a bit more than a m155 pump. The billet does prime fast!
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

statsystems wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:13 pm
My mistake, I am running 10w3VR1