Stainless steel valves

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Willis

Stainless steel valves

Post by Kevin Willis »

Is there any made in the USA. If so , who?
grandsport51
Pro
Pro
Re: Stainless steel valves

Post by grandsport51 »

Best I know Manley stuff is USA made,
They make both 2 piece friction welded and 1 piece forged
Highly recommend Forged!!
Dave B
LIGHT 'EM UP
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

In your own home state you have Ferrea.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

grandsport51 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:29 am Best I know Manley stuff is USA made,
Dave B
Think I read they weren't anymore or at least some of the cheaper stuff wasn't. I imagine at this point like most co's they bank on their name so some of the lines are outsourced to increase profits. I could be wrong but I don't need to call them at this time to find out and it could change a year from now.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

mag2555 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:29 pm In your own home state you have Ferrea.
Ferrea is made in Argentina however if you can buy the engine pro valves they are made in the same place I am told.
They are made in Argentina and when compared side by side they are identical.
There is several options for valve quality and the price is attractive compared to similar valves.
if it is an all out deal manley would be my 1st choice> REV also has some nice stuff but not positive where they are made.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Not sure on U.S. ss valve mfgrs anymore because they apparently change sources on a weekly basis, but its worthwhile to try & find out. A great deal of ss is recycled and some foreign metals have only a nodding acquaintance with SAE specs. There are over 100 grades of 'stainless steel'- some of which have so little expensive chromium (which is what defines stainless steel) in them, they will rust. IMHO, if you plan on revving above 5000 rpms, I would NOT personally use welded valves made of anything! A "100% guarantee" seldom includes head & block replacement.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

I wasnt sure about manley these days I used to deal with Hank back in '72 (fixed his wifes Pinto Wagon and bought 351 C stuff for our pro stock ) so I called the Tech line and the rep claimed its still USA made

and recommended the forged 1 piece product.
Dave B
LIGHT 'EM UP
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

BOOT wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:57 pm
grandsport51 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:29 am Best I know Manley stuff is USA made,
Dave B
Think I read they weren't anymore or at least some of the cheaper stuff wasn't. I imagine at this point like most co's they bank on their name so some of the lines are outsourced to increase profits. I could be wrong but I don't need to call them at this time to find out and it could change a year from now.
I know for a fact that at least some Manley valves are outsourced. In a particular case, from a worldwide tier 1 supplier, from a Brazilian plant.
B Original

Post by B Original »

My vote is 4 Ferrera they're Hollow stem lightweight stainless series for that class and price you're not going to find better quality
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

mag2555 wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:29 pm In your own home state you have Ferrea.
A while back, Ferrea stated their valves were made in USA with USA materials. Not sure if this was their complete line, hard to believe the 5000 series stuff could be US made.

Historically, I am pretty sure all their stuff was from South America. Regardless of the country of origin, we have used quite a few of their higher end stainless valves with very few issues.

Here is a link to where they make the claim of made in USA.

https://www.facebook.com/ferrearacing/p ... 3551055233
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I bought a set of Summit's house brand 2.02"/1.60" valves that are swirl polished and necked down a while back.

Good money and they look great. BUT I don't remember if they are SS or not. I think they are as well as one-piece.

Please look into them.

One-piece exhaust.

I think these are the exhaust valves.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum- ... /overview/

pdq67
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

jsgarage wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:55 pm Not sure on U.S. ss valve mfgrs anymore because they apparently change sources on a weekly basis, but its worthwhile to try & find out. A great deal of ss is recycled and some foreign metals have only a nodding acquaintance with SAE specs. There are over 100 grades of 'stainless steel'- some of which have so little expensive chromium (which is what defines stainless steel) in them, they will rust. IMHO, if you plan on revving above 5000 rpms, I would NOT personally use welded valves made of anything! A "100% guarantee" seldom includes head & block replacement.
Nickel is the expensive alloying element in stainless: about 4 times the price of chromium.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

How many Ferrea valves have broken?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I would not worry about US made valves today. The US lost that market many years ago. Most good valves today are made in Argentina. Made in the USA is a nice thought but don't expect that moniker to mean what it used to. Sad but true in many industries.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
RTR-1

Post by RTR-1 »

I've been using CV Products X2 when needing steel valves for a few years now. No problems for me very and they're very reasonably priced. I never really thought about it but I just assumed they are made in USA. But looking at the boxes it doesn't say Made in USA anywhere. :?: