SHP Block Clearance Questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kimosabi
Pro
Pro
Re: SHP Block Clearance Questions

Post by kimosabi »

Using these on 3.75 stroke Dart SHP. Cleared nice with no grinding.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /chevrolet

The eagles you have, probably not a "stroker rod".
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

I used compstar crank and rods in my sbc shp block. Carl did the work and i dont recall seeing any grinding to fit it. Made near 1400 hp on those internals so they are plenty strong
87v6bird

Post by 87v6bird »

BadSS wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:57 pm Thanks Randy for checking on the block differences that's extremely helpful.

Also thanks 87 for the measurements and pictures. I put the picture to scale and made some best guess measurement from the parting line to the top of the bolt and it appears the Compstar is about 1.25" compared to 1.33" for the Eagles, but there is a slight cant to the picture and measuring that way is a little hokey to say the least. 87 I hate to ask after you've already done so much, but if I could ask you, without having to separate the cap from the rod, could you do a best guess measurement from the parting line to top of bolt? If it is close to 1.25", and with Randy's input, I'll be rather confident they'll work.
I tried to measure from the parting line to the bottom of the cap but couldn't really get a measurement I was happy with without separating the two. Bottom of the cap was in the 1.3"+ range though. I will see about a measurement to the bolt head tonight. They're definitely shorter than the cap.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Compstar A6000cs2a2ah rod 591g for a 2'' journal cleared 4" stroke in shp block. I had .025 clearance wanted .045 so I made a .020 cut to get it. That was with a standard base circle cam. Hope this helps.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Your contact point will be were the bolt comes out of the rod; not at the cap. I'm talking about rod to cam clearance not pan rail.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

If you are using the Eagle 3D rods they are a good bit larger in the big end over all.
the larger bolt makes that area much larger then the compstar. I have seen many eagle assemblies with the 3D H- Beam rod need more clearancing in critical areas because they are just a larger rod over all.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
87v6bird

Post by 87v6bird »

One more requested measurement. Parting line to top of bolt head 1.187" - 0.025" ruler = 1.162"

BadSS

Post by BadSS »

87v6bird wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 pm One more requested measurement. Parting line to top of bolt head 1.187" - 0.025" ruler = 1.162"
87 I really appreciate you - that pretty much settles things!!! The difference (0.168") should be plenty along with confirmation from Randy and Orr that the Compstars cleared for them without issue.

Also thanks to all others that replied to let me and others know what worked for you.
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

I did a 427 abc for a friend. 4.0 stroke / eagle rods/2.10 etc. .900 base circle cam. Small clearencing required on rod to clear. I shot for .060 . Seemed to work out well. ( rod to cam) this was an shp block as well. I wouldn't be afraid to get out the sanding drum. No big deal.