King Demon carb

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

70MC
Pro
Pro

King Demon carb

Post by 70MC »

I have recently bought a second hand, but never used King Dmon RS drag race with annular boosters. It came with the instruction manual and a tape. I also bought a book, how to tune Demon carbs, but they don't show where the intermediate restriction is. This carb came with the gold sleeves (1195cfm), i'm instaling the black sleeves(995cfm), and also using a power valve in the primary side for street use. I have the Barry Grant catalog and am going by the spec chart and changing the nessesary air bleeds, restrctions and jets when going to the black sleeves. I have called Berry Grant and asked them where the intermediate feed restrictin is, the tech said uhhh hold, then told me in fine detail. But my instruction manual tells me that what the tech said is an idle feed restriction and not intermediate feed restriction. Does anyone know where i can get detailed pictures and explanations of these restictions. I have looked at Barry Grants web site and found nothing. Any thoughts how this carb will work in a steet strip application on a 434sbc 11.7cr., Brodix hv1002 intake, 268int.-278ex. at .050, 630lift and 110 lsa solid roller, Brodix TRK1 heads. The car is heavy at 3900lbs with driver, 4200 converter, and 4.56 gears. This combo with a Holley 950HP has run 10.84 @124mph.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-If you are talking about the 3rd circuit orifices like on Holley 9375's, they are down low-somewhere near the jets-on the wet side of the meter block.
-You can chase the circuits with an aerosol spray can and the plastic tubing poked into the holes.
ozrace

Post by ozrace »

There should be a discharge in the throat of the carb, just above the butterflies. Trace that back to the metering block for the intermediate circuit.
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

Can do, thanks guys! :D
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Intermediate feed restrictor on a King Demon

Post by Doug Schriefer »

The intermediate feed restrictor on a King Demon is on the Main body side of the metering block. If you're looking at the main body side of the metering block (jets facing away from you) you'll see 4 replaceable bleeds in a line on either side of the Power Valve, or Power Valve Plug. Just to the outside of these bleeds you will find a bleed by itself. It will be just above where the idle mixture screw comes into the block. That is the Intermediate Feed Restrictor. The Intermediate fuel pick-up is on the opposite side of the metering blocks just outside of each main jet.
Doug Schriefer
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

Thank you Tech@BG. I have another question for you, i have herd that BG rates their CFM wet, if that is true is there a conversion so i can compare CFM in a way that i am use to? What would a BG 1000CFM compare to a Holley?
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Carburetor CFM Ratings

Post by Doug Schriefer »

We do flow test our carburetors “Wet”, but the CFM rating on the carburetor is actually an average, or median airflow for the applications they are recommended on. Meaning, if you were to put a 1000 Race Demon on an engine that we’d recommend it on, on average it will flow 1000 CFM on that engine. Actual airflow of the 1000 Race Demon would be 1188 CFM at 1.5” of vacuum. What this means is if your engine would pull that much vacuum at W.O.T. it will flow that much CFM. More vacuum, more CFM, less vacuum, less CFM. I honestly can’t say for certain how Holley® is rating their carburetors.
Doug Schriefer