DESICCANT PLUGS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

joespanova
Expert
Expert

DESICCANT PLUGS

Post by joespanova »

Anyone ever use em? In Ga. it gets damn humid..........often my exhaust seats will get some corrosion / scale / rust on the seats. You can polish it off with Scotchbrite and WD-40. But who wants to keep doing that.
modified wanna be
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Re: DESICCANT PLUGS

Post by groberts101 »

yeah fogging before storing works well. My brother in law's nephew races down in Florida and swears by dumping some kind of oil fuel mix, essentially a very heavy 2 stroke mixture straight down the carb until it kills the motor from a high idle. I have no idea if it works but seems intuitively effective towards rust control. Doubt the plugs would care for it much but they're cheap enough to replace or burn off later, I guess.

We used to copy many of the old timers with similar treatments, but used transmission fluid slowly poured down the carb's throats till she started to smoke to high heaven immediately followed by enough to completely snuff the motor out and soak overnight. Then followed by a little water to help steamclean it all out the next day. Worked great for removing carbon deposits but could probably help reduce rust during longer term storage as well.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

also plug the exhaust as i had a race engine when i took the head off there was a mouse nest on top of the piston . the mouse piss had ruined the piston and cylinder wall. maybe that is why they are called a pisston. :D
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Wow, what kind of valve lift did it have? :D (I know, mice are rubbery little devils; can squeeze through a pinhole...)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

pamotorman wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 pm also plug the exhaust as i had a race engine when i took the head off there was a mouse nest on top of the piston . the mouse piss had ruined the piston and cylinder wall. maybe that is why they are called a pisston. :D
I have seen that more than once. :shock:

The fogging out with some oil is probably the best way