Best oil, alky racing?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gregsdart
Best oil, alky racing?

Post by gregsdart »

Dragracing, looking for a good 20w50 or similar oil that is compatible with methanol, and possible hp gains?
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert
Re: Best oil, alky racing?

Post by BlitzA64 »

I have used 20/50 Brad Penn in circle racing alky, no issues. Not sure about HP gain other than go to a thinner oil but if not class racing what is the point
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

VR1 Valvoline here with alky...no issues. I stopped using 20w50 a few years ago when I found a heavy sludge like substance in my oil pan. The much older and much more experienced engine builder I was using took one look at the pan and said "your using too heavy of an oil...not getting up to temp, go thinner." So I switched to SAE30 and my issue went away.
gregsdart

Post by gregsdart »

Cgarb, how thick was the sludge? I have seen a little, maybe 1/8th thick at most. I do run my motor hot, and hit over 200 before a run to heat soak everything, then stage at 180+.
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

That time it was a good 1/4" worth on the bottom. Since then I switched to thinner oil and have a pan heater welded into my pan. Much cleaner looking at teardown.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

gregsdart wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 am Dragracing, looking for a good 20w50 or similar oil that is compatible with methanol, and possible hp gains?
Best oil.. Who's to say. I had good luck with VR1, As far as readily availableoil goes.

HP gains.. Good luck.
Are you set on 20/50? Might you consider straight 40. It seems to me the straight weight doesnt dilute as fast.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I also have been using VR1 for a number of years (15 or so). Running injected alky, the biggest difference I found was how I warmed up the engine. Not having it blubbering fat at idle made it warm up much faster and kept the oil MUCH cleaner. Making sure to get/keep the oil temp up helped big time. As for HP increase, I can't say what the best thing to run would be. I was more concerned with finding ET with my tune-up than with changing oils.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

FC-Pilot wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:32 pm I also have been using VR1 for a number of years (15 or so). Running injected alky, the biggest difference I found was how I warmed up the engine. Not having it blubbering fat at idle made it warm up much faster and kept the oil MUCH cleaner. Making sure to get/keep the oil temp up helped big time. As for HP increase, I can't say what the best thing to run would be. I was more concerned with finding ET with my tune-up than with changing oils.

Paul
Paul hit it on the head as did MTE. Using 10/30 VR1 and with a good tune will run 30 runs then change.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

This topic highly interests me. Are you guys referring to Valvoline™ VR1 Racing Oil?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Dont' use a Group IV or V synthetic as those are alcohol/ester based and alky will kill the oil... and maybe your engine.

You can use Castrol's imitation group III "synthetic" without worries.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Krooser wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 pm Dont' use a Group IV or V synthetic as those are alcohol/ester based and alky will kill the oil... and maybe your engine.

You can use Castrol's imitation group III "synthetic" without worries.
Are you sure you cant use pao and poe with alcahol,
Shaver is using m1 race oil in sprinters, which i believe is pao
Redline makes oil just for alcahol and nitro and its poe, ive used it without any problems.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Some say it's ok... some don't. Amsoil says it fine.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

roc wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 pm This topic highly interests me. Are you guys referring to Valvoline™ VR1 Racing Oil?
Yes.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

af2 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:05 am
roc wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 pm This topic highly interests me. Are you guys referring to Valvoline™ VR1 Racing Oil?
Yes.
Thanks!
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

When I tore down the hurt motor I bought for my dirt car it was loaded with sludge in the pan and the oil was a goo like subsistencey....almost like STP. The PO sez he used VR1 10-30.....