cummins 6.7 knock

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BLstangin
cummins 6.7 knock

Post by BLstangin »

I have a 2016 dodge ram with a cummins 6.7 in it that has 183,000 miles on it and it has a weird knock in it. At idle its very faint, but if it's cold and you put the truck in gear at an idle its very loud, but if you give it some throttle or go drive it, it goes away and if you speed up to highway speed and let off the throttle it's gone, and it is quiet as can be, once warm, it will make a light knock at idle but not as noticable either in gear or neutral. I can really hear it most pronounced right by the bellhousing, it just got a reman transmission and I took the shield off and the torque converter appears to be tight to the flexplate. Does anyone one know of any known problems with these newer 6.7 cummins, I've never worked on one before. Its definitely coming from the bottom of the motor, and at the back, sounds quiet under the hood and with a hose I can't really hear it on the oil pan or the bellhousing but my ear sounds like it's coming out of the bellhousing. Looking for suggestions?? Could it be an injector?
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Re: cummins 6.7 knock

Post by Steve.k »

Sounds like vibration damper on back of engine. They are notorious for springs working loose. Usually tranny shop insist on changing when working in that area.Its incorporated into rear flywheel.
BLstangin
Re: cummins 6.7 knock

Post by BLstangin »

This is an automatic, is there one on it or is it just in a manual flywheel?
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!