Post by roc »

IAV Sees Huge Potential With 3D-Printed Pistons
2018 SAE World Congress Experience
LSP
Pro
Pro

Re: 3D-Printed Pistons

Post by LSP »

How would thermal expansion differ from a typical solid core piston?
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

^^ And thermal conductivity.
Edit - article addresses this.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

This is the future of complex metal structures whether they are pistons or other complex parts of machinery and industry! =D>

If you are fairly young or have young friends and children who are at a time in their life when they can get the continued education to learn and serve in this new technology and industry talk to them about how they can get involved in this new field and secure great jobs and a future in the exploding technology and industries in methods and materials technology that are beginning now! You don't have to spend huge sums on high end college or university programs as the only way to secure future jobs. Look to specialty schools, industries and technical institutes for this training and methods to enter these industries. :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

But don't bet these will be cheaper pistons to purchase!
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

427dart wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 am But don't bet these will be cheaper pistons to purchase!
Not right away.. but eventually as the tech matures and you're able to buy the same materials and machines in miniature versions.

IIRC, koenigsegg used that tech to create it's variable geometry Turbo's. Exciting times to be a gear head techy!
clshore
Expert
Expert

Post by clshore »

The basic method has become commonplace to create integral cooling passages in dies and tooling for industry.
Also for fabrication of turbine blades with integral cooling passages.

One possibility I have not seen is to create closed cooling passages, rather than open ones that use engine oil.
There is a device called a heat pipe, that takes advantage of the heat absorbed/released by a phase change
in the cooling medium, solid-liquid, or liquid to gas.
Sodium filled valves are an example of how this works.
But liquid-gas can transfer as much as 10x more than convection, and could be integrated into heat pipe enabled pistons.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

clshore wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 am The basic method has become commonplace to create integral cooling passages in dies and tooling for industry.
Also for fabrication of turbine blades with integral cooling passages.

One possibility I have not seen is to create closed cooling passages, rather than open ones that use engine oil.
There is a device called a heat pipe, that takes advantage of the heat absorbed/released by a phase change
in the cooling medium, solid-liquid, or liquid to gas.
Sodium filled valves are an example of how this works.
But liquid-gas can transfer as much as 10x more than convection, and could be integrated into heat pipe enabled pistons.
:-k
You blew my mind for a second
clshore
Expert
Expert

Post by clshore »

Yah, the heat still has to be extracted from the bottom side of the piston, but could print it with large heat fins, so that crankcase windage would assist with transferring the heat to the oil.
You could essentially create a nearly 'iso-thermal' piston with more nearly uniform temperatures, top to bottom.
By playing with the 'working fluid', and the shapes, you could achieve a piston that quickly warmed to the desired operating temperature, and
then self regulated at or near that temperature, at least until you reach thermal saturation by working the motor past it's boundaries.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

It took me about 4 minutes total machine time to make a flat top.

I don't see print time anywhere close to that.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 pm It took me about 4 minutes total machine time to make a flat top.

If you can cnc me a set like the honeycombed ones linked above?.. just let me know how much. And don't forget the fancy lattice style pins too!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 pm It took me about 4 minutes total machine time to make a flat top.

Antique engines require antique pistons?

I don’t think technology like this applies to anything anyone on here works on, yet. I’m still waiting for shops to figure out laser clad valve seats.
-Bob
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Printed for display fine, other wise at this point I don't even think I would trust them in a 2 cylcle model airplane motor!
Also it takes a hell of a long time to print something up like that which sky rockets price!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

The ability to produce a part does not mean it is a workable substitute or improved product. The working standards, strength of materials, lag what can actually be 3d printed or made on hybrid machining centers.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

HDBD wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:27 am The ability to produce a part does not mean it is a workable substitute or improved product. The working standards, strength of materials, lag what can actually be 3d printed or made on hybrid machining centers.
Rolls Royce Trent series commercial jet turbine designs feature blades with hollow internal structures for cooling. They’re mass produced. No doubt GE/CFM, etc. have similar stuff going on.

https://youtu.be/aFRdp1Js9Kc
-Bob