Valve spring to spring pocket radial clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Valve spring to spring pocket radial clearance

Post by travis »

What range of clearances do you all like to see between a spring and the spring pocket? At what point is there too much clearance that would allow the springs to walk too much?
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Valve spring to spring pocket radial clearance

Post by hoodeng »

I use size for size whether the i/d of the spring/s is retained or the o/d in a cup , the spring will have a slight interference or at least no lateral movement in either retention method if possible , the same applies to the cap. Both lower cups or step retainers should be retained by the guide/boss or o/d counter bore with just enough clearance to service.

Cheers
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Judged by the recommended parts combos on a site such as PAC, it seems they're OK with up to ~ 0.025" clearance between the retaining lip or locating boss of a spring seat to the spring OD/ID. Ditto the retainer locating step.
Not that it makes it right, but I've often seen a lot more, especially re retainers.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

Though I agree with the idea it should be a size to size fit when you buy retainers that are meant for a given spring they tend to have .005 to .010 clearance ....I have seen them as high as .020 .... .020 is my upper limit ... on spring seats it is not uncommon to see .020 clearance ...I have one I am working on that is at .035 we were debating on what to do as the seat ment for the spring is.020 clearance and cutting to install just to pull out .015 seems like a lot of work for not much gain ...
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I am fortunate to have spring kits that meet what i would like , on the other hand i also make my own lower retainers to suit some model engines that need a guide shoulder hold collar included in the spring seat so its easy to keep the fit tight .
On disassembly of some heads there is pronounced polishing of the spring seat /retainer faces , i suppose its just one more thing that can be made neater than the OEM or stodge type parts, some things we do are just to satisfy ourselves.

Cheers.