General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

roc
Expert
Expert

Re: Individual runner intake manifold for big block Chevy

Post by roc »

MadBill wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 pm
roc wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:32 pm Another option (which tempts me at times) is buying a used Hilborn MFI intake and converting it to EFI.
Kin$ler and probably others offer such converted systems.
Yes Bill they do (and Hilborn too), but very pricey!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

roc wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 pm
MadBill wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 pm
roc wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:32 pm Another option (which tempts me at times) is buying a used Hilborn MFI intake and converting it to EFI.
Kin$ler and probably others offer such converted systems.
Yes Bill they do (and Hilborn too), but very pricey!
That dollar sign is not a typo... :shock:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Gene Berg in Calif used to race VWs & he made 58 & 62mm versions of the Weber IDA carbs, & they take the Weber jets, E tubes etc. They would certainly work on the BBC, may still be available.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

GRTfast wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:46 pm I was reading about the advantages of the individual runner Hilborn electronic fuel injection system. Mainly the fact that with a large cam, you don't get the fouling of the intake charge from overlap that you get with a common plenum intake. Some of the dyno plots show huge advantages in the low end and midrange. Since the Hilborn unit is way out of my price range (8-9k), I was thinking of building my own side draft style intake with individual runners. I would probably use a motorcycle carb on each runner (something like the carbs off late 90's 1000cc sportbikes). I see that this is somewhat popular on small 4 cylinder British sports cars, but I don't see anyone doing it on big V8's. Anyone have any experience with this type of setup? Thoughts on why it is or is not a good idea? Sometimes I get the urge to build something different and make it work. This is one of those times.
The factors to consider when sizing itb's (which is more unforgiving than a regular carb) are :
- rpm range
- distance from throttle to valve.
- anticipated HP

https://www.jenvey.co.uk/support/faqs/n ... t-in-nisi/
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

GTRfast:

Go to Ebay item # 292035292135 and for $2400 including free freight and buy a complete IR electronic Fast fuel injection unit. Put it on the engine , have fun learning tuning and tune it, put the engine in your car or truck. Then go drive or race the thing and have some real fun!! Don't punish yourself building a "goldberg". You be much happier when you do and you are driving and using it! JMHO :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

Newold1 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:32 pm GTRfast:

Go to Ebay item # 292035292135 and for $2400 including free freight and buy a complete IR electronic Fast fuel injection unit. Put it on the engine , have fun learning tuning and tune it, put the engine in your car or truck. Then go drive or race the thing and have some real fun!! Don't punish yourself building a "goldberg". You be much happier when you do and you are driving and using it! JMHO :wink:
That looks pretty slick. The thing is, sometimes I enjoy punishing myself! :lol:

I guess with that setup you mentioned, I’d have to build a cover for the valley and connect the water passages to the radiator. Could be a cool option.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens