Ideal head for rules.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Ideal head for rules.

Post by 88bluestar »

So I purchased a race car recently, and the engine has some nice internal parts so I was happy about that, however I feel both the heads and cam are way to huge for the rules.

.540/.560 lift rule on cam, solid cam and lifters.
9.5:1 max-360cid max
7000 rpm pill
Carb mount base can be no more than 7" above block deck.

Currently running a 750 SMI carb on a untouched victor jr intake.
#371 GM VORTEC BOWTIE HEADS unsure of work that may have been done to them. Gather they are probably 215-225cc runners.
Cam is a 4/7 Comp special grind to lift rule, 252 intake and 255 exhaust duration.
6.125 rods, honda journals, 45 lb crank
They had a lot of gearing in it to help the lack of torque.

I would like to buy a better suited set of heads for it but want suggestions to pinpoint what is the best head for this combination/rules? I have discussed before about cams to Mike Jones, and I know for this the cam is far to big so I know ballpark what I need there.
Head has to be cast iron, and 23 degree valve angle.
englertracing
Guru
Guru
Re: Ideal head for rules.

Post by englertracing »

You didn't say what this is for
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

What class does the car run in and what sanctioning body did the rules??
Pavement or dirt track?? And how big is the tracks that car would run on??
What does the car weight with driver?
What exhaust system and tube sizes do you have to work with??
Quick change or 9"rear end??
What fuel are you allowed to run??
Is ported heads allowed ?? Or even just bowl blending below the valve job's last angle??

This info is needed to give the best recommendations :D
That said if a 23 degree head must be used there is not many options for iron head manufactures other then Dart.
But they do have several options depending on what the other details show
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

1/4 to 3/8 dirt track oval.
9" ford
1 3/4' header, any muffler
gasoline
porting is allowed, no titanium part
min 2850 weight, max is 3250
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

In my opinion ... the present cam is to big for those heads.
Or, use the smaller #351 BowTie Vortec head with that present camshaft.
Or, change both.

ProMax has a copy of that smaller BowTie Vortec head.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

At first I figured by getting the proper cam from Mike it might help but I think I’m going to do both that and getting a set of heads as well. May hit up Larry Meaux to do his magic on a set of promaxx or equivalent
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Is it a super stock or something like that?
Have you run it yet?
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Yes ran it and lower on the track the competition pulls away....alot!!!
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

I’m looking at promaxx small runner Vortec bow tie type, Dart 180, or any higher velocity head but want honest opinions of all on what is best for the application. The cam Mike recommended me was albeit intended for shorter rod and the small runner VB. Wouldn’t be opposed to any head as long as it fits the 23 degree valve angle and is cast iron.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

If the engine is coming apart anyway get detailed info on the ported vortecs and that will give a better starting point. Port cc's, flows, valve sizes and shapes, valve job.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
B Original

Post by B Original »

That head is way too big I think a 180-185 cc port volume would put you in a good velocity range for the 7000 RPM's and 360 cubic inches and about 255-260 cfm air flow @ .560 lift to get you in the 500+ HP range
You may have HP in the upper RPM's but you probably suffer pulling out of 2 and 4 with the large port volume you have

The seat work is critical below .250 lift for making torque

I see a 280/284 @ lash, 250/254 @ .050 with an aggressive lobe, .545/.560 lift, 109 LSA and 64 over lap but I highly respect Mike and his recommendations far outweigh my humble opinion

With porting you can make more HP with what ever you can do and still keep the port small

darts 180 Iron eagle's would be my first choice for the heads
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

What bore? What intake valve? Like Carnut said maybe get the head flowed b4 you change it, some like a big head and milder cam.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

I honestly think they went far too big on both cam and head. Supposedly the head has had porting and port matching done. From what I've read this big runner casting is way way too big for our limited compression/cid. I figure a max of 195cc runner size from what Ive seen before here on the site, but i certainly want to hit the nail on the head if I'm going to spend for a different set of heads. The cam will shine if matched correctly with the heads. If i could find someone with an untouched set of the 185cc vortec bowties from a few years back those would be my first pick but not sure about the newer revised ones that are out now.....newer ones are even more expensive, not even sure if they are improved.

As far as valve size, I gather 2.02/1.6 is plenty but this is .030 over currently so larger valves likely are shrouded. If they have the original 2.00/1.55 valves probably a far better compromise with respect to the small overbore.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

What is the RPM that you run to start coming off the tightest corner???
Between 3000 to 4000??? Lower or higher??
That is where you need to work from. if the engine while on track never see's less then 3000 or 3500 say that is a good bit of info needed when choosing LC for a cam as the tighter the LC the shorter the power band will be. But if you are in the lower lane it sounds like the chassis can use some work as well. Unless you can go down on gear and get up top and stay in the gas longer if the chassis will let you.

But as for head choice personally I would go to a Dart head if for no other reason is the off shore cast heads may not be consistent in port location and thickness when considering a full port job.

What does the bottom end for crank and rod weights?? Can you turn it any higher then 7000?? We used to run our north west tour engines to 8200 if needed and they were 9.5-1. and a 390 carb. Not a fair comparison but what are the guys that run at the front turning for rpm?? I know guys will never admit to just what they are really doing but you get the idea.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Dart 180's only flow between 209 and 220 cfm on the intake stock. They would need a good reworking.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST