SBC 383 500ft/lb torque build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: SBC 383 500ft/lb torque build

Post by GARY C »

mtmvette wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 am Ok. Most guys here build for horsepower...wherever the torque ends up so be it. I'm building kind of the opposite. Thinking my horsepower will be in the mid 300s. gnicholson, carnut1, and B original are on the right track for my build. Compression is not your friend on a low rpm high torque build, especially with the crap gas available. Lower compression and correct timing events will yield big torque numbers in low rpms. As compression increases, the power will increase in a higher rpm band. The engine masters challenge is not a good example of what I am trying to accomplish. I guess there is not to many people trying to make this type of engine.
Thats completely opposite... If that was so then a diesel engine would not make massive tq at low rpm and 20:1 compression.

True the fuel has to be factored in but 10:5.1 can be done with careful planing and tuning on 87 octane.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
B Original

Post by B Original »

mtmvette wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 am Compression is not your friend on a low rpm high torque build, especially with the crap gas available. Lower compression and correct timing events will yield big torque numbers in low rpms. As compression increases, the power will increase in a higher rpm band. The engine masters challenge is not a good example of what I am trying to accomplish. I guess there is not to many people trying to make this type of engine.
Correct Engine masters is for 1 case about average torque over a specific RPM range above what is in your application. Starting at 3000 RPM? If I remember correct.

If you can find a balance between compression, valve overlap, low enough peak power rpm, port velocity, and fuel you can make a huge torque curve down low, proportional to the cubic inches.

And to Carnut I put 2.02/1.60's in the Darts with a good seat job, no back cut on the exhaust and minor pocket cleanup. They had a decent flow improvement at low lift and near 240? At .550.

If I remember on the vortices I was able to accomplish near identical #'s, don't remember which ones had better velocity but both had North of the 300's averages.

In as delivered form they were both similar in comparison but the Darts were easier to get the numbers plus I think the Darts are more resistant to abuse in the overheating department.

Thanks Carnut and MTM
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

B Original wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:53 am
mtmvette wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 am Compression is not your friend on a low rpm high torque build, especially with the crap gas available. Lower compression and correct timing events will yield big torque numbers in low rpms. As compression increases, the power will increase in a higher rpm band. The engine masters challenge is not a good example of what I am trying to accomplish. I guess there is not to many people trying to make this type of engine.
Correct Engine masters is for 1 case about average torque over a specific RPM range above what is in your application. Starting at 3000 RPM? If I remember correct.

If you can find a balance between compression, valve overlap, low enough peak power rpm, port velocity, and fuel you can make a huge torque curve down low, proportional to the cubic inches.

And to Carnut I put 2.02/1.60's in the Darts with a good seat job, no back cut on the exhaust and minor pocket cleanup. They had a decent flow improvement at low lift and near 240? At .550.

If I remember on the vortices I was able to accomplish near identical #'s, don't remember which ones had better velocity but both had North of the 300's averages.

In as delivered form they were both similar in comparison but the Darts were easier to get the numbers plus I think the Darts are more resistant to abuse in the overheating department.

Thanks Carnut and MTM
Original EMC events were 2500 to 6500 average tq was the key to winning, do you think increased compression will hurt low end tq?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
B Original

Post by B Original »

GARY C wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:07 am Original EMC events were 2500 to 6500 average tq was the key to winning, do you think increased compression will hurt low end tq?
Absolutly not but to keep in the 87 octane range, keep the idle vacuum up/low rpm idle quality and driveability you have compromize overlap for ccompression bleed off and the potential torque of higher octane fuels.

Sure 10.5 or 11-1 would make 20+ additional ft lbs but is higher octane fuels the goal here? Considering
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

B Original wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:05 pm Here is another 383 I done a couple years back with dart 165 iron heads that meets the op's requirements so 500 ft lbs in a low rpm torque motor is perfectly doable although this had a mild lopey idle

Most on this board seem like this just cant happen maybe someone can put this in your dyno software or whatever and share the results

501 ft lbs 420 HP
383 scat rotating assembly -12.5 dish pistons
9.5 compression 202 cranking compression 87 octane
peak power @ 4700 RPM
vacuum at idle 15.5"-16"
cam
266/266
210 @.050
54 over lap 106 LSA
.533/.533 lift
1.6 rockers
China import air gap intake
650 vacuum sec Holley HEI

Edit; Hydraulic roller 880 casting late block
Nice build and results. =D>

Where was peak torque?
How much porting?

Rick
mtmvette

Post by mtmvette »

Yep all those GAS engines make a ton of torque while there "pinging" down the road. Irrelevant naysayers need not reply.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

mtmvette wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:03 am Yep all those GAS engines make a ton of torque while there "pinging" down the road. Irrelevant naysayers need not reply.
Yup, build a 10:1 compression 383 210@.050 106 lsa. Fill it up in the mountains with 40 gallons of 85 octane. And when you still have 20 left at the bottom trying to climb back up. Tell me how long she lasts.

Make sure you run a shim gasket and -.004 quench. It prevents hot spots by transfering heat directly to the head.. speed secret for the week
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

GARY C wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:24 am
mtmvette wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 am Ok. Most guys here build for horsepower...wherever the torque ends up so be it. I'm building kind of the opposite. Thinking my horsepower will be in the mid 300s. gnicholson, carnut1, and B original are on the right track for my build. Compression is not your friend on a low rpm high torque build, especially with the crap gas available. Lower compression and correct timing events will yield big torque numbers in low rpms. As compression increases, the power will increase in a higher rpm band. The engine masters challenge is not a good example of what I am trying to accomplish. I guess there is not to many people trying to make this type of engine.
Thats completely opposite... If that was so then a diesel engine would not make massive tq at low rpm and 20:1 compression.

True the fuel has to be factored in but 10:5.1 can be done with careful planing and tuning on 87 octane.
Gary obviously understands the dynamics behind compression motors. It's all about cylinder pressure and more of it makes more torque EVERYWHERE. Makes a smaller motor feel bigger due to a fatter torque bands that start earlier than and easily surpass a comparable 9:1 motor. And more importantly, can be achieved at LOWER throttle angles which means LESS engine loading and faster rpm potential needed to get the same job done. So, in that sense you need LESS throttle to accelerate the engine which reduces engine throttle/loading requirements and IMPROVES part throttle detonation resistance. Instead of using 4/10's of the motors available power to get moving.. you only need use 3/10's of a motor generating more torque at similar or reduced throttle angles. Induction velocities and carb signals are also improved with added compression. Street engines need part throttle driveability and torque output.. not everything needs to be about WOT power and tendencies for detonation.

To the compression naysayers, it appears that you don't like to push boundaries or maybe even fully realize what gains you're missing out on. Adding compression is not all about PEAK gains.. but much more about AVERAGE gains throughout the entire operating range. And many posting here sound like they're still stuck in the 80's. Probably still using the near factory recommended high single - low teens base timing figures too? And maybe ported vacuum sources for the distributors vac advance pot? Those were some dismal days for the performance oriented street engine builds. #-o Even a tow truck motor could and should be considered a performance oriented build with what it has to deal with. I remember many shops doing my machine work warning about going over 9-9.5:1 SCR on 87 octane when I'd end up around 10.75:1 with iron heads.

Another thought. Look at the timing maps on some of the EFI engines these days, yes.. those in trucks too, as they approach near 50° and beyond part throttle/light cruise timing advance. It's not the computer or EFI itself that makes that possible, all engines of somewhat similar designs can do the same thing based on the very similar combustion dynamics, they only allow the process to be automated and give failsafes for people who know nothing about motors and/or how to tune them and/or care to maintain them correctly. And even then.. EFI tuning is very big business because the OEM's still leave much on the table.

Just a little sad some guys will only take input from those who they want to believe since this seed has already been so deeply rooted. Seems all these "need low compression for pulling loads" notions have obviously been heavily preconceived. On the other hand, nothing wrong with adding safety margins that'll run even if you literally piss in the fuel tank. You'll definitely have plenty of safety margin left over with a 9:1 motor build.
B Original

Post by B Original »

There are many paths to the same destination but it boils down to cylinder pressure, VE's, Dynamic compression, so I don't put much stock in static compression. It's all about finding The Sweet Spot if your static is too high you got to compromise with overlap or whatever 2 reduced what's being trapped in the cylinder. Something else to consider is you got to use all these variables to regulate the combustion temperature. Although not truly scientific I generally shoot for 200 psi cranking pressure for 87 octane fuel and a coolant temperature under 185 degrees. For all the builds that I've done with those parameters I have been able to run without retarding optimal timing on 87 octane. I am open to adjustment my procedures I'm not set in concrete is someone can teach me a better way
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Id be afraid of too much compression on a two ring, running it pinned up hill for long periods
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

An experiment I did in the late 90's that we may learn a bit from. 85 Chevy 3/4 ton pu, turbo 400, 3.73 gears and 33 tires plane Jane mason work truck. The replacement hencho 350 was near death and my buddy talked me into a "brick mover" max torque to move heavy loads quickly, budget was small so I reused many parts I had laying around. I had a nice new lt-1 style short block with preped Chevy rods and 11/1 forged pistons. The heads were "throw away" 307 1.72"/1.5" heads cut for 1.94" valves and tight ports. They ported nicely and probably flowed 210-220cfm and 160cfm ex. 70cc open chamber. Lt-1 style springs and pinned studs .016 shim head gaskets. Intake was a ported 300-38 Holley with small runners and a custom spacer topped with a 600cfm annular Holley. Cam was a ft hydraulic comp 252h 206 206 on 110 lc .425 lift add 1.65 ratio Crower stainless roller rockers to bring a quick .4675" lift. Exhaust was long tubes 2.25" duals with Hooker areo chambers and H pipe. The engine was an overachiever for slapped together junk and was impossible to tune even with 93 octane. I think cranking compression was 230+. He was constantly being stopped to ask what size bbc was under the hood. After I ate the turbo 400 on a short trip ( sounded good at 70 mph in second) the modded 700r made it a tire smoking beast. It finally got a bad batch of gas and burned a valve after many years of abuse.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

B Original wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am
GARY C wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:07 am Original EMC events were 2500 to 6500 average tq was the key to winning, do you think increased compression will hurt low end tq?
Absolutly not but to keep in the 87 octane range, keep the idle vacuum up/low rpm idle quality and driveability you have compromize overlap for ccompression bleed off and the potential torque of higher octane fuels.

Sure 10.5 or 11-1 would make 20+ additional ft lbs but is higher octane fuels the goal here? Considering
True but that would be cylinder head and cam size that move the rpm higher regardless of compression. I would be more concerned that the truck is geared according to the load it will carry so that you don't lug the engine.

I built a 10.1 350 with a 167cc iron head, a comp 262 ee cam for an Elcamino some years back for a material hauler, it had 200 psi cranking pressure, idled at 650 rpm pulled 16 1/2" vacuum and would run fine on any fuel you put in it. The timing curve was 20* at idle 40* at part throttle and 36* total. It had a TH 350 with a TCI 11" tq converter (1000 over stock) a 2.73 rear gear and a 28" rear tire and although it would tow a car on a flat bed trailer that was really not it's intended purpose or I would have geared it accordingly.
Please Note!
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

GARY C wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:16 pm
B Original wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am

True but that would be cylinder head and cam size that move the rpm higher regardless of compression. I would be more concerned that the truck is geared according to the load it will carry so that you don't lug the engine.

I built a 10.1 350 with a 167cc iron head, a comp 262 ee cam for an Elcamino some years back for a material hauler, it had 200 psi cranking pressure, idled at 650 rpm pulled 16 1/2" vacuum and would run fine on any fuel you put in it. The timing curve was 20* at idle 40* at part throttle and 36* total. It had a TH 350 with a TCI 11" tq converter (1000 over stock) a 2.73 rear gear and a 28" rear tire and although it would tow a car on a flat bed trailer that was really not it's intended purpose or I would have geared it accordingly.
I bet it loved all that timing loaded and driving up the slightest hill.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Headguy wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 pm
GARY C wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:16 pm
B Original wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am Absolutly not but to keep in the 87 octane range, keep the idle vacuum up/low rpm idle quality and driveability you have compromize overlap for ccompression bleed off and the potential torque of higher octane fuels.

I bet it loved all that timing loaded and driving up the slightest hill.
Yes, Yes it did...Although under load the reduced vacuum pulled timing out via the vac advance being hooked to full ported vacuum so it mimicked the timing curve of a modern LS engine... but thanks for asking.
Please Note!
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Serious question to other engine builders here. Who is honestly prepared to build a tow engine (not talking diesel) going into a heavy load situation where you know it will be subject to extended WOT-( because thats what will be required to do the job , not fairy tale it will do it at 1/4 throttle etc) - usage on a regular basis in possible high ambient temps and driven by possibly some one who has no sense of things like pinging let alone knowing what station has decent fuel etc AND send it out the door with warranty?
I will say that I certainly am not. Fact is that given these parameters a small cammed engine will do the job, and a small cammed engine with good heads (for the rpm range ) and intake, exhaust etc for the rpm range does not require a high C/R to pull WOT at lower rpms and fact is that if you sit an 'on the edge' CR engine in these conditions with joe average behind the wheel and have him WOT pull it up thru a hilly/maintain area in high ambient temps with heck knows what fuel he dumped in out of the fuel can for the stationary generator as he could not be bothered stopping for fuel on the way home ,, that you are asking for trouble. Even then if you can refuse the warranty due to proving that it was due to abuse you will still look like a dick in the eyes of the all knowing customer.
Build as much TQ safely as the engine parameters allow and gear it right for the actual road speeds and use that it will see and it will do the job well for a long long time.
Craig.