Factory Stock Replacement Blocks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Factory Stock Replacement Blocks

Post by ProPower engines »

Ok I am at a disadvantage up here to get new stock type 4 bolt replacement blocks from any of the dealers at a reasonable cost as they all want well over $1500 for a 2 bolt block.

The guys that sell new builds using a NEW factory roller type block 4-bolt block where are they getting them from??

Dose anyone here have any suggestions where to go for new stock 4-bolt blocks that are factory roller cam compatible?
If so please advise. I was told of a few dealers in the south that had inventory but they seem to have dried up or won't ship to the great white north without a ridiculously large order 10 or more cause they think the paperwork will be too much hassle even though they are not shipping them directly out of the US just to my US warehouse.

Any suggestions and I will be eternally grateful

Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
bone6145
Re: Factory Stock Replacement Blocks

Post by bone6145 »

cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Thanks for the link. I missed the price?
Used to be Summit or PAW would sell you a brand new 4 bolt for $500, nitrided crank for the same

See Summit no longer sells brand new 5.3 blocks they were under $400. Bummer
Sure would like to slowly piece together another mill for this 02 1500 shes getting tired. (they can be stroked to??)
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

cuisinartvette wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:19 am Thanks for the link. I missed the price?
Right there on the right hand side of the page, in the large black rectangular box that has the but-it-now button at the bottom....$939
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Why not hunt up a good core and rebuild it yourself?

It's done all the time.

Maybe Ohio Crankshaft might help?

pdq67
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Still available, but they’ve gone up in price. I would think volume builders get a better price.

4bolt, Two piece seal: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal- ... /overview/

4bolt, One piece seal: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal- ... /overview/

LS 4.8/5.3 iron block: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-4853l/overview/
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

pdq67 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:42 am Why not hunt up a good core and rebuild it yourself?

It's done all the time.

pdq67
I have to agree, a good core will save a bundle and used to be preferred due to being "seasoned" and major thermal changes done with. I can see though if your running a business you may need a faster source for blocks than shopping on Craigslist. But then again the local bone yard should have a never ending supply of sbc's. Here in Vegas they go for $180 for the whole motor with a running for 30days guarantee.
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

pdq67 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:42 am Why not hunt up a good core and rebuild it yourself?

It's done all the time.

pdq67
Corte blocks are not a problem we have 100's of them.
This is for the times when doing a specific build for an insurance job that requires a NEW block instead of a seasoned core.
We have been taking a hard look at costs involved in the shop and when you look at the time involved with a guy tearing down and cleaning and inspecting cores by the time you are ready to start machining that core its now worth about about $600-$700.
Till I can get the SHP blocks for the same cost as a stock factory block for insurance jobs I still have to go with a factory block.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

cardo0 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:52 pm I have to agree, a good core will save a bundle and used to be preferred due to being "seasoned" and major thermal changes done with. I can see though if your running a business you may need a faster source for blocks than shopping on Craigslist. But then again the local bone yard should have a never ending supply of sbc's. Here in Vegas they go for $180 for the whole motor with a running for 30days guarantee.
Where in Vegas? At that price it is worth it to me to drive up there and grab three or four as I can't get them here for that in Phoenix. If they are available at that price then I don't know about them.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins