Which adhesive?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Which adhesive?

Post by dfarr67 »

Need to glue a timing point to an alum timing cover- timing cover has no provision for pointer and cannot bolt on conventional timing pointer to perimeter bolts (SBC gen1). What would you use?

Rough up bonding surface and:

-JB weld
-windshield urethane
-body joint adhesive
-Ford/International grey silicone
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Which adhesive?

Post by cgarb »

Whatever they use to glue on quarter panels on cars...you will rip the metal before it comes off. Some kind of epoxy.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

There are two that i use , 'JB weld' plastic weld is very good , another is 'Maxlok MX/T6 , this is the stuff Harley Davidson use to glue plastic oil guides inside their aluminium alloy primary covers,nothing moves after this stuff is used.
The Harley part number for the adhesive is 11100088 there is also a caulk gun adaptor kit 11100075 that is used to mix the stuff.

Cheers.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I used JB to do the exact same thing ( Aluminum to Aluminum) 30 years ago and it's still on the motor!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

cgarb wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 pm Whatever they use to glue on quarter panels on cars...you will rip the metal before it comes off. Some kind of epoxy.
Bingo.. a thixotropic adhesive should work. Most panel bonding adhesives work. 3m Sem Devcon etc
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Ended up with JB Marine weld- after a few hours tab sagged into balancer- went old school :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

E6000 seems to be impressive on grabbing onto many things and is a rubber like flexible glue. It is self leveling and takes 24-72 hours to fully dry. Comes in black, white, and clear.

http://thematking.com/business_industry ... ctions.htm

Fun to play with. Glues most things to most things and even works on clothes patches that holds up to a washing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgmfzeJtkXo
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Planned ahead the best I could- with it not working to my satisfaction, it is very limited what I can get reasonably priced around here.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

dfarr67 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 am Planned ahead the best I could- with it not working to my satisfaction, it is very limited what I can get reasonably priced around here.
The E6000 is found in many stores, and usually in the crafts sections of Walmart, Target, etc. Also on Ebay and probably Amazon. A large tube, at 3.7 ounces is under $10. Does not like heat, gasoline or toluene, or UV rays, but is paintable in the first 24 hours, for protection. Water, oil, and antifreeze proof once dried, or so they claim.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Your first responder is what you need to do!. Find some panel bond and don't look back.

Press it on tight, squeeze the unused stuff out from underneath. All you need is enough to barely cover the part. A pea size is sufficient. You will have to ruin the part to pull it off. Don't use a cheap product. Use the right product. Save yourself the time.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

While the indicator is not as pretty as I would like- at least since it is physically bolted to the timing cover bolt- it isn't going anywhere.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

dfarr67 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:33 pm While the indicator is not as pretty as I would like- at least since it is physically bolted to the timing cover bolt- it isn't going anywhere.
That works, and easier to remove, if need be than some adhesives.