Moderator: Team

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: Gapless Top Rings

Post by Warp Speed »

groberts101 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 am
Warp Speed wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 am
You write a book, but it is purely based off of your empirical observations. No real data other than "what you've experianced". Much like the people with opposite views you are berating.

The pot-kettle thing...............AGAIN?!? Lol
What should I base it off of? YOUR TESTING? Are you the all knowing engine building god around here or what? :lol:
And people wonder why this place isn't like it used to be.
BTW.......your pretty much correct............relatively speaking! 8)
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:59 am
No they don't. Only takes more self righteous and arrogant replies to make them remember. Thanks for the history lesson though!
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

groberts101 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 am
No they don't. Only takes more self righteous and arrogant replies to make them remember. Thanks for the history lesson though!
Yes they do. People like YOU have ruined this site with their BS. Just do is all a favor and shut up. Maybe you can learn something resident guru!
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

You write a book, but it is purely based off of your empirical observations. No real data other than "what you've experianced". Much like the people with opposite views you are berating.

What should I base it off of? YOUR TESTING? Are you the all knowing engine building god around here or what? :lol:
I'm sure he knows 100% more than you, based upon your input.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Headguy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:15 am
Yes they do. People like YOU have ruined this site with their BS. Just do is all a favor and shut up. Maybe you can learn something resident guru!
LOL.. says you? Maybe I'm no pro like tit and tat.. which one are you again?.. but I've tried to help others with my own personal experiences. And.. I take the time to try and explain my viewpoints! Far more than you can say in the short time you've been around here.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Well if you based it off of your experiences.. I.e. David Vizard books. Wouldn't that be copywrite?

The cycle of misinformation continues............... #-o
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

groberts101 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:20 am
Headguy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:15 am

LOL.. says you? Maybe I'm no pro like tit and tat.. which one are you again?.. but I've tried to help others with my own personal experiences. And.. I take the time to try and explain my viewpoints! Far more than you can say in the short time you've been around here.
Because most times I want to reply with some good input. But I know the plague has already spread. And nobody takes anyone serious if its real world data from a week ago. Because it wasnt the misinformation they were brainwashed. So there is no point.

I give you a C for trying, but please quit acting like a know it all. Look back at your posts and see how big headed you are!
G72Zed

Post by G72Zed »

RAMM wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 am
G72Zed wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:47 pm
It's been a long time, but I actually have done a similar "Gapless" test back in 2002/2004, by no means super scientific A-B test, but it did show me some key trends, and raised a few questions.

My engine is a pump gas 10.57 CR 333 sbc (327+.040) with Sportsman II iron heads, 2.02/1.6, 750 Holley, 252 @ .50 FT cam w/500 lift, flat top pistons. Typical street sbc.

Back in 2002, I had it dyno'd and it made 396.9 Tq @ 5,600 and 482.6 Hp @ 7000 rpm on premium pump gas. The cranking PSI was 180/182 on all cyl.
Average Tq was 380, and ave. Hp was 408.4, this was from 4,100 to 7,200 RPM.

So, during the next 16 months while building my car, the engine sat on the stand, and I did some reading and looked into the "Gapless" top rings, and the trend for the "larger" gap'd second ring. I ordered the Total Seal Gapless top only (1/16) and opened the 2nd ring from .012 To .022. I pulled the heads and dropped the pan, popped the pistons out, did the gaps, the engine shop "prepped" the bores, and put it back together.

I basically wanted to crack 500 HP with a basic 327 with old Iron heads that nobody loved or wanted!! So, Dec. 2003 I go back to the same opperator/dyno, same pump gas (but winter gas) same carb/jets exhaust,plugs ect....same oil grade & amount, I kept everything the same as much as possible including water/oil temps.

It made 411.4 Tq (+14.5) @ 5,600 and 503.9 Hp (+21.3) @7,000 RPM. Averages from 4,100 to 7,200 went up to 395 Tq (+15) and 417 Hp (+9). Did the cranking PSI the same way, 200-202 PSI, up 20 PSI. BSFC was down to low-mid .40's, from the upper .40's, exhaust ports were not sticky. Leakdown test showed 1%, nothing. Dyno guy was impressed.

It's weird, even after 20k miles, the engines runs great, makes good power,really good MPG,cranking PSI still there with very/very low leakdown # (1-3%) Took it to the drag strip just for fun, ran 13 flat @ 118 mph in 3rd gear with street tires, car is 3750#'s at the line.

BUT, since the start, it's like it sucks the oil in the chambers under deceleration, and puffs blue on initial acceleration, nothing after that. Even light decel, stop, let it idle, blue smoke, then cleans up. Even taking it easy cruising, puffs on shifts. I have the good valve stem seals, no leaks, I even tapped the intake valley on the last dyno day back in 2016, it registered -1.1 Hg's, during the full pulls, no crank case pressure there. Valve cover breathers are clean, no mess anywhere.

I have gone from Brad Penn to Driven to VR1, same thing, no leaks, good power, always adding oil. Tired of fighting this. I think I will be going back to conventional rings like the AP TS, never had oiling issues in the past with this engine.

Sorry for the long post, but I am very interested in this topic.
These rings seem to pull oil right around the whole ring pack under high manifold vaccuum conditions. Did you ever use Royal Purple on the dyno for your second test? Thanks for sharing. J.Rob
Yes, your right, In my case anyway, I believe that might be what's actually happening.

Interesting enough, the same test format on a couple of fully prepped SBC "race" blocks showed only half the gains in testing, still good, but not the results I experienced. Better block material, casting, stability and less flexing.

RP- Strange how some oil migration with certain oils & fuels react to the positive.
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

CGT wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:52 pm I know this has been discussed/debated on here in the past. Nevertheless, looking for personal experience, opinions, class racing engine builders with possible before and after's etc.
I'd like to ask what your thoughts and personal experience is with these rings considering you did in fact use them in your EMC testing regime and ultimate win. You had to have seen something that led to this thread being created. Congrats on that big win over BES as well. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 am If there is indeed an oil contamination issue with gapless rings, are they pulling harder on the valve guides? I can't see it stemming (see what I did there :D ) from the cylinder walls.
I sure hate quoting myself but this thread seems to be steaming towards another lock and I'd really like to get an opinion here.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

RAMM wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 am
CGT wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:52 pm I know this has been discussed/debated on here in the past. Nevertheless, looking for personal experience, opinions, class racing engine builders with possible before and after's etc.
I'd like to ask what your thoughts and personal experience is with these rings considering you did in fact use them in your EMC testing regime and ultimate win. You had to have seen something that led to this thread being created. Congrats on that big win over BES as well. J.Rob
Thanks, those guys are awesome. Getting to rub shoulders, and exchange ideas and be taken very seriously by the "big dogs" of that event was the best part. Especially as hobbyist's. Winning is cool too though. :D

They worked good, motor was sealed up real nice. But, there was no back to back testing. We did a bunch of dynoing on a shelf piston, with the ring widths that the rules dictated...conventional gapped ring set.

We then had a custom set of pistons done, little more valve relief here, little less there, shallower ring grooves, etc etc .Total Seal put together the ring set that time, gapless top, and of course the rings were narrower radially for the new piston and grooves, a little less oil ring tension. Then back on the dyno.

The engine was up with those changes, but attributing it completely to the gapless top ring would be naive in my opinion.
Last edited by CGT on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

RevTheory wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:50 am

I sure hate quoting myself but this thread seems to be steaming towards another lock and I'd really like to get an opinion here.
REALLY ...?
As anyone can tell, there is a large disagreement both ways so, you will be getting no positive results one way or the other.

You'll just have to use your own decision making ability, here.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Story of my life...
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Chris Thomas of the Kaase clan also won the spec class in 2016 with the gapless tops in his 415" Cleveland. IIRC, Walter was close 2nd behind with his 414" Windsor. Aside from the added contingency funds, would be interesting to hear his results one way or the other as well.

Won't continue to waste my time arguing one way or the other since it's rather obvious we'll all just continue to do what we've seen working for our own specific applications anyways, but still interesting to get more firsthand experienced feedback.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Some apropos dialog with Total Seal: http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/m ... -ring-seal
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.