489 BBC - budget bruiser.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: 489 BBC - budget bruiser.

Post by cjperformance »

KnightEngines wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:02 pm No idea on idle vacuum, doesn't have to run brakes or anything so we never checked!
Idles clean at 1200rpm, we'll idle it up in the boat to 1400.
I don't really pay attention to octane requirements in pipemax - I haven't found it to be accurate, I can usually run quite a lot more compression/cylinder pressure than pipemax thinks will work.
This ran on our pump 98 - which is roughly equivalent to US 92 octane pump stuff.
Det meter never moved, she's dead safe.
Nice work Tony.
Its almost like pipemax uses our octane system for recommendations, even then its still lenient.
This run a dog clutch ?
Craig.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yeah, shallow V drive & dog clutch.

It's Jason & Ben Jordans 'Super Chev' everingham 17.5' flat bottom ex circuit race boat. Even at 600hp it'd be a bit overpowered, the general consensus is that 600hp is about the max you wanna put in a 17.5' flat bottom.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

KnightEngines wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 pm Yeah, shallow V drive & dog clutch.

It's Jason & Ben Jordans 'Super Chev' everingham 17.5' flat bottom ex circuit race boat. Even at 600hp it'd be a bit overpowered, the general consensus is that 600hp is about the max you wanna put in a 17.5' flat bottom.
I have found they are great even up to 1400. This one has a boring 750 HP BBC in it. I don't see what is wrong. LOL :shock:

I like the build you did. Simple, but effective. We sometimes overcomplicate things and your build is a great balance of basic parts and good power.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Looks like the driver is perfectly positioned to go "skipping over the ocean like a stone" until he outruns the boat... :shock:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Bent the prop at 98mph, tore the skeg out the boat, lucky it had a skeg brace & plate, stopped it tearing the bottom of the boat out & stopping real fast.
Boat is out of action for a bit for repairs!

It'll hit the 100mph target once it's back together with a new billet prop.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

KnightEngines wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 am Bent the prop at 98mph, tore the skeg out the boat, lucky it had a skeg brace & plate, stopped it tearing the bottom of the boat out & stopping real fast.
Boat is out of action for a bit for repairs!

It'll hit the 100mph target once it's back together with a new billet prop.
Heck that spoilt the fun ! Maybe cavitation hurting the prop? Or did it hit something?
Fastest I've been on a boat is 76mph , i was starting to think i wish inwas a better swimmer ! Lol. Felt like 120mph on a dirt road
Craig.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Prop was a fabricated light weight jobbie, it just bent from load!

I'm not getting in that boat, ever.

Even Jason won't run it hard, leaves that to Ben, who is a bit of a loose nut.