General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MagnumTPI

Dodge 4.7 Hylift-Johnson lash adjusters

Post by MagnumTPI »

Dodge 4.7 OHC
80K mi.
Well maintained, not abused.

It has the usual 4.7 Dodge tick, did change the ex. manifold gaskets, No leaks. Checked timing chains, etc., oil pressure is good, using the recommended 5-30 oil. Narrowed the source of the noise to the passenger side front cylinder, loudest on top at the valve cover. The engine runs smooth, good power. The tick/tap noise the same cold or hot, more intense under load than out of gear, quiet at low load hiway speeds.

I am going to pull the VC and take a look at the lash adjusters.

Rock auto sells Melling, Sealed Power and some not so famous brands of lash adjusters for this application.
I am fine with either of these brands.
Anyone here have experience with 4.7 Dodge lash adjusters and can you recommend a brand?

A set of Hylift Johnson lash adjusters are on Amazon for $80. I am not convinced they are genuine, and the price seems cheap, much more so than the Rock auto name brand counterparts.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Dodge-H ... _sbs_263_2?

The Hylift Johnson website lists PN A2308 as the specific part, and not a one size Ford-Dodge part like the Amazon ad. It seems the Hylifts are a regarded brand here so I will consider them.

Are the Hylift Johnson parts available from a dealer only or direct from the manufacturer?
I have not found a listing for a set of A2308's anywhere on the net.

Thanks.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Dodge 4.7 Hylift-Johnson lash adjusters

Post by rebelrouser »

I think Chrysler has a service concern bulletin on these lifters, which is not published to the public, but dealer techs have access to them. BLE makes some adjustable solid lifters to replace the hydraulic ones. http://bleproducts.com/products/#
I know the 3.5 and 3.6 V-6 engines have some trouble with these lifters ticking as well. I have used Melling brand, the few I have changed out. They also seem to have an issue with carbon sticking the valve in the guide causing the rockers to pop off as well. I have been recommending a new set of lash adjusters and a carbon cleaning system like BG or Motorvac.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

It is to be hoped the hydraulics are your noise problem. Those engines are infamous for dropping valve seats.

And yes, you can buy direct from Hylift - (800) 441-1400
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Jack is right... I've seen many dropped seats. They like to show up around 75K or so so you are right there. When they drop the party is over.

Perhaps a leak down test might help troubleshoot the problem? Would that show a loose seat?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
MagnumTPI

Post by MagnumTPI »

Rebel, thanks for the recomendation for Melling, was digging around the net and found the same. Considered solids when I first got it but decided to leave well enough alone. Will try to find a way to check the intake stems for carbon or may try some Chrysler top end cleaner. There is a you tube video of one of these being turned by hand and as the lobe lets the valve begin to close you can see and hear the valve pop closed against the tip of the rocker. I can try turning mine by hand to see if mine does that.

Jack, aware of the droppped seat issue, no experience with this condition but usually on a 5.7 this means severe engine damage assuming the same for the 4.7. I am sure that the seats are in place and functioning. It runs well and is smooth. No missfire codes. From what I read dropped seats are usually caused by overheating the engine, no overheat problems since I bought it in 2012 with only 29K mi. Will call Hylift for pricing if replacement is necessary.

Krooser, Can a seat drop a few thousands and not fully fall out of the head?? Can a seat partially drop and move back into place? I have no experience with this so I am just asking. Like I said its smooth and strong. I can do a compression test or try to measure/compare installed height at the retainer. Cylinder balance test did not change the sound, and all cylinders responded equally.

I went to the garage last night with the intention to pull the RH valvecover. Started the engine and wanted to confirm the noise in the RH head and it wasn't there. Seemed centered in the front. Left it idle about 1 hour checking all over and the noise just about dissapeared. Took it for a ride and it was much quieter while driving it too. Quieter but still there this morning. Cannot hear it above the radio or with windows closed after it warms up.

A few weeks ago I tried some Lucas oil treatment on top of the 5-20 that was in it for the winter and it did not agree, went back to 5-30 non synthetic Saturday morning. Thinking the new oil has to make its way through the lash adjusters.

If it gets as loud as it was prior to the oil change I will have to dig deeper.

Thanks to all for your help.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

A local courier has a van with a 4.7 in it and it had loose seats on 5 intakes. it would make noise cold and all but shut up when good and warn. After a while they would hang open a valve a bit then fall back into place.

When I repairs the heads all it took was a propane torch and warm the chamber a bit and they would be loose but not fall out of place but they did beat up the pocket a bit which required a little thicker seat to repair them.

But they would just fall out regardless but over heating or hard use accelerated the issue because of the material used in the seat manufacturing process and lack of press fit. I get some of the dealer bulletins on the new engine issues from a customer but that was the tech report from Daimler the local dealer gave me that stated the material and press fit details at the time when there was a big rash of falling seats around here if the dealers were to do any repairs they suggested a specific seat and press fit.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
MagnumTPI

Post by MagnumTPI »

ProPower engines wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 am A local courier has a van with a 4.7 in it and it had loose seats on 5 intakes. it would make noise cold and all but shut up when good and warn. After a while they would hang open a valve a bit then fall back into place.

When I repairs the heads all it took was a propane torch and warm the chamber a bit and they would be loose but not fall out of place but they did beat up the pocket a bit which required a little thicker seat to repair them.

But they would just fall out regardless but over heating or hard use accelerated the issue because of the material used in the seat manufacturing process and lack of press fit. I get some of the dealer bulletins on the new engine issues from a customer but that was the tech report from Daimler the local dealer gave me that stated the material and press fit details at the time when there was a big rash of falling seats around here if the dealers were to do any repairs they suggested a specific seat and press fit.
I was unaware the seats can move in and out of place like that. Wouldn't any remaining press fit be wiped out as they move around especially in an aluminum head? Was the courier van a UPS type vehicle? I thought the 4.7's were dodge truck/durango/jeep only.
MagnumTPI

Post by MagnumTPI »

MagnumTPI

Re: Dodge 4.7 Hylift-Johnson lash adjusters -Update

Post by MagnumTPI »

I took of the valve covers and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Really clean. Replaced the lash adjusters with new mellings. No real improvement, none of the factory lifters were soft or seized.

Attached an oil pressure gauge to the port near the sending unit.

Cold 62 -82 psi, with the gauge needle fluctuating in sync with the tap. If I race it to 2500 rpm, it hits mid 90s pressure, but the needle swing settles down and the tap just about goes away.

As it warms up, the pressure reduces but never goes under 35 or over 55. The needle swing reduces to about 5 psi but is still in perfect sync with the tap.

While driving, I can't hear the noise except when idling or accelerating to normal speed.

What can cause the pulsing oil pressure accompanied by the tap?
Seems like the tap occurs when the needle swings to the lower pressure. Strange.

If it was a bad bearing wouldn't the pressure be low?

Bad oil pump or relief valve?

Running 5 30 Castrol dino oil, black mopar filter.
Synthetic oil doesn't help. Lucas oil conditioner didn't help (was dumped with an oil change before the lash adjusters were replaced).

Help, I'm lost with this one :(

Thanks.