Back when we had a choice..MSD or Mallory ignition products??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

91stang
Pro
Pro
Re: Back when we had a choice..MSD or Mallory ignition products??

Post by 91stang »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:14 pm Short of building a time machine, why does it matter?

Sorry to be a killjoy, but Chinese manufactured doesn’t mean bad...
It does fo the American family who lost a job over it.
1991 mustang 3040 with driver all motor all the time 9.70 @ 138.75 1.31 60' street driven mufflers and real tires, mt 275/60/15 radials with a 950hp holley.
Cougar5.0

Post by Cougar5.0 »

ZEOHSIX wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:49 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:06 pm Personally, if it was not a very high power race engine, I preferred the Accel stuff if you simply need a great ignition and not all the other electronic type switches and features in the later units from just about everybody..

The Accel 300+ was a perfect ignition for most anything like that ... now their 250+ is the same thing but, without the REV limiter.
Won a few Auto cross championships using a 300+ still have a brand new in the box back up unit sitting on the shelf. I worked at a NAPA Parts store....Echlin owner Accel and Echlin ignition parts were THE BEST! I used early MSD stuff including a 404 Gold Box...ignition timing drifted due to changing voltages....MSD SUCKED! Triggered a MSD 6 with a Delco Mag Pulse distributor....timing shifted and caused problems....Later MSD got their act together but today’s MSD? The bankruptcy and buy out leave me wondering.....
Glad to hear I'm not the only person who has had good luck with the Accel 300+ ignition. Seems I've only used Accel since the 1970's - a creature of habit. I never liked the look of the MSD stuff. Really weird reason for not using something, I know.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Used to run Unilites or their dual points distributors for years back in the 80s. Used to hear about failures but never had one in years of daily driving.

Maybe there is ok stuff from China? These days Id pick a good HEI if it was a street car, less to hassle with. Summit still sells them
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

Dragsinger wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:05 pm another company to consider is http://www.daytona-sensors.com/home.html

These are former engineers and employees from Crane when Crane sold ignition products. My recent experience with the company is good.
Thanks for the information I wondered if any of it survived..... I always liked the crane stuff ...... I have one of the old AC systems ( hi-8?) On my car that I just dug out of storage to build .....

Out here every where I look the msd box is king ..worked on lots of them over the years.. spark is good ..
m880

Post by m880 »

hoffman900 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:36 pm
Casper393W wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:31 pm I beg to differ.....it may be a decent quality product! But tell that to the employees who worked at the Mallory plant in Ohio.....

I understand the economics but until the American people stand up and stop buying these cheap Chinese, Mexican, or anywhere else for that matter products, jobs will continue to leave this country!

Maybe Im different but when I buy something, I always think about the person who made it. I want to support American Families!

Rant over
If it's not going to be foreign labor, it's going to be a CNC machine or some sort of automated set-up. Heck, it's a CNC machine or robot there...

If we're talking 1980s, don't forget Electromotive for the crank trigger set-ups. https://electromotive.com/ Their products are still made in the USA.

Here is how a coil is made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmnplLRDlpo
Here is how a spark plug is made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn6Se7OQJek

Not much in the way of human labor. Wait until they really get a handle on automated warehouses...
I no it's an old post but i have to disagree as to cnc and it doesn't matter where its made. There are still employees need to assemble and test,box up etc. And it wouldn't be sending American workers and racers money to china that desires greatly to push America to the side and dominate the world and they will seek to take over other nations whereas the U.S never had those intentions,,my 2 cents