How to provide oiling to the piston pin in a forged piston?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: How to provide oiling to the piston pin in a forged piston?

Post by PackardV8 »

Only slightly OT, but in the discussion about pin oiling, my machinist, who does many OEM builds, says the Fords are the worst; if the piston/pin interface isn't carefully oiled after rod installation but before short block assembly, some of them will gall and lock up on start. Once successfully started and run, there's usually no further issues.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by Bos's5.0 »

PackardV8 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:19 pm Only slightly OT, but in the discussion about pin oiling, my machinist, who does many OEM builds, says the Fords are the worst; if the piston/pin interface isn't carefully oiled after rod installation but before short block assembly, some of them will gall and lock up on start. Once successfully started and run, there's usually no further issues.
Well it's a good thing Ford only built one engine, because narrowing down what you are talking about if it were a GM would be impossible. :^o
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I know what he means. The older ones that used a soft brass bushing expanded into a rough bore. Don't know when they quit doing that, but not soon enough
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:38 pmWhat's the recommendation here?
I use the "four small holes tangential to the pin bore" pattern. It oils the pin from the sides, and the holes are easier to drill than trying to come in from under a ring and remove less metal than a big hole in the bottom. I pick the hole size by the scientific method staring at the drill index and deciding "this looks about right." Usually 3/32 to 1/8".
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

modok wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:15 pmThe older ones that used a soft brass bushing expanded into a rough bore. Don't know when they quit doing that, but not soon enough
Sounds like the FEs. Ford used a ball broach to swage the bushings into place.

The pin bores were often loose, though I don't know if they were oversize to start with or they used some lowball bushing material that didn't last long. Ford didn't bother with "quality control" much on the FE engines, or at least not on the later ones. I am certain the factory decked some of those blocks with a chain saw...
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

Old thread I know, but IMO the best way is to look at a modern engine and see what they do. One I looked at the other day had 8 oiling points per piston, some of that is because it had the pin pressed into the rod. It had two grooves, one hole drilled below and one from the oil control ring groove down into the top of the pin.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:38 pm On another thread, I was alerted by dwilliams that in the bad old days Venolia forged pistons were shipped with no provision for pin oiling. A very good head's up, as we've become so accustomed to pistons being good to go out of the box, that these NOS caught us not looking. They required pin fitting and now will require oiling mods.

I know the several ways this is accomplished; easiest is just drilling holes through the bottom of the pin boss. Most difficult would be replicating those with four grooves milled inside the spirolok grooves without touching those.

What's the recommendation here?
I would say any way you can without measurably weakening the piston.
I don't think you could have to much oil there.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Quick questions on the wrist pin oiling in a conventional crankshaft guided rod setup. How important is the side clearance between the piston wrist pin boss and the rod small end to wrist pin oiling? Should I go for minimum clearance there that crankshaft end allows and trust the piston on the one hand and the rod on the other hand to take care of their own oiling requirements? Or is there a meaningful benefit from leaving more of the pin exposed to splash oiling?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here