Triple spring retainer question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mdengine

Triple spring retainer question

Post by mdengine »

A customer brought me a set BBC heads. They have triple springs but the retainers are for double springs (only two steps). They fit the springs and have been running. Is this going to cause problem?
promod754
Re: Triple spring retainer question

Post by promod754 »

the third step in the retainer matches the shorter inner most spring height. you will not have all three springs at their designed spring height. Probably won't matter if you don't really need maximum spring pressure. I used to pull out the inner spring because i didn't need 400+ pounds on the seat and thought it gave the lifter a little more life. i know some may disagree with that, but it worked for me.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

mdengine wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:49 pm A customer brought me a set BBC heads. They have triple springs but the retainers are for double springs (only two steps). They fit the springs and have been running. Is this going to cause problem?

If they are designed to be run with a step for the inner spring then yes get the correct retainer, or the correct spring.

There is a lot of science in springs and a small change can jack you up.
FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Post by FastBuick »

I would get the right retainers and/or right springs for the application. It could cause an issue because that inner spring will be floating in the middle spring. There is no step to make the inner spring work correctly or to match it's height.
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

X2 Get a new spring and retainer package with lift heights and pound ratings matched to the camshaft and rpms. No need for triples!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: