461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

maxracesoftware
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: Abbeville, LA
Contact:

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by maxracesoftware » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:31 pm

Image
Meaux Racing Heads
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftware.com
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/index.php
PipeMax v4.00  http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/v ... f=14&t=263

maxracesoftware
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: Abbeville, LA
Contact:

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by maxracesoftware » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:31 pm

Image
Meaux Racing Heads
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftware.com
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/index.php
PipeMax v4.00  http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/v ... f=14&t=263

maxracesoftware
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: Abbeville, LA
Contact:

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by maxracesoftware » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:32 pm

Image
Meaux Racing Heads
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftware.com
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/index.php
PipeMax v4.00  http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/v ... f=14&t=263

maxracesoftware
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: Abbeville, LA
Contact:

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by maxracesoftware » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Oh Snap :)
i forgot to mention that very large unmachined Exhaust Guide Boss


Image
Last edited by maxracesoftware on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meaux Racing Heads
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftware.com
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/index.php
PipeMax v4.00  http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/v ... f=14&t=263

maxracesoftware
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: Abbeville, LA
Contact:

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by maxracesoftware » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Image
Meaux Racing Heads
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftware.com
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/index.php
PipeMax v4.00  http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/v ... f=14&t=263

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3967
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by Walter R. Malik » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:14 pm

From what I remember ... none of them ever came on a vehicle with screw-in studs and guide-plates.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

maxracesoftware
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: Abbeville, LA
Contact:

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by maxracesoftware » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:14 pm
From what I remember ... none of them ever came on a vehicle with screw-in studs and guide-plates.
do you mean my Pics .. or just in general ?
i did actually remove the pressed-in studs in those killer #461X's
and tapped then for 716-NC Studs ... but thats it ...no other Mods
because i thought at the time they might be great for a Stocker Class
because of the large Volumes + CSA's ....-VS-- SuperStock Heads ...where i could Port the Heads + put back Epoxy .
Meaux Racing Heads
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftware.com
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/index.php
PipeMax v4.00  http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/v ... f=14&t=263

pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2681
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by pamotorman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:06 pm

maxracesoftware wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:24 pm
Best of the #461X versions and rarest , have the 461 numbers orienated this way on the bottom of the Intake Runners :
461 Number orienated Lengthways or horizontal across the Head (upside down in this view )


Image
should not there also be a X cast on the intake runner down inside the D shaped water passage??

fdicrasto
Expert
Expert
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by fdicrasto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:32 pm

Of course the "64" on the last head of your first grouping was the only factory 2.02" and 1.6" valve configuration.

maxracesoftware
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: Abbeville, LA
Contact:

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by maxracesoftware » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 am

fdicrasto wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:32 pm
Of course the "64" on the last head of your first grouping was the only factory 2.02" and 1.6" valve configuration.
do you mean this Head in this Picture ??
i don't remember it having 2.020/1.600 Combo ?
i need to go back and measure the seat diameters

from memory , there were a few 400cid SBC Heads that had 1.940/1.600 combo instead of 1.940/1.500 combo .

Image
by pamotorman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 pm
should not there also be a X cast on the intake runner down inside the D shaped water passage??
i found a few #462 castings ... in the past , some of them had 461 cast in that triangle water passage ...
i guess it was same #461 waterjacket mold used in early #462's ???

i did look in the triangle water passages on the various #461's for the number 461 , but not looking for an "X" at that time ,
need to look again .... need to have all these Heads cleaned up again , some are rusting pretty bad :(

like an old Racer told me once : "Gravity sucks, and Rust never sleeps" :)
Meaux Racing Heads
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftware.com
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/index.php
PipeMax v4.00  http://www.maxracesoftwares.com/forum/v ... f=14&t=263

Casper393W
Pro
Pro
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:18 am

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by Casper393W » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:40 am

I built a stock bore 350 back in the day..... I ported a set of 461X heads with 2.02/1.60 Manley race flow valves, I had Screw in Studs installed, I used Cast Flattop pistons,. Stock Rods crank etc. I did zero deck the block and it did get line honed.

I slid in a Comp Cams Solid 250/260 @ .050 .532/.555 lift ground on a 106 LSA. With Comp Roller Rockers and a Jomar Stud girdles,. A Holley Strip Dominator intake with a Holley 4779 750 DP.

We dropped it in my buddies 72 Nova (weighs 3200lbs) that had a TH350 with ATI 4500 Treemaster converter, a 12 bolt rear with 4.88 gears... When we first took it to the track we were hoping it would run low 8's in the 1/8 mile... Because the engine was so basic we didn't expect a whole lot....but boy we we're shocked!

On Our first trip it ran 7.23@ 94 mph!!! We were stoked to say the least... I made some 18in collector extensions and I tweaked the Carb some and got it down to 7.0's.

That is my 461X heads story! The car is still running over 20 years later!

Carnut1
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3816
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 pm
Location: Melbourne fl.

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by Carnut1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:56 am

Casper393W wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:40 am
I built a stock bore 350 back in the day..... I ported a set of 461X heads with 2.02/1.60 Manley race flow valves, I had Screw in Studs installed, I used Cast Flattop pistons,. Stock Rods crank etc. I did zero deck the block and it did get line honed.

I slid in a Comp Cams Solid 250/260 @ .050 .532/.555 lift ground on a 106 LSA. With Comp Roller Rockers and a Jomar Stud girdles,. A Holley Strip Dominator intake with a Holley 4779 750 DP.

We dropped it in my buddies 72 Nova (weighs 3200lbs) that had a TH350 with ATI 4500 Treemaster converter, a 12 bolt rear with 4.88 gears... When we first took it to the track we were hoping it would run low 8's in the 1/8 mile... Because the engine was so basic we didn't expect a whole lot....but boy we we're shocked!

On Our first trip it ran 7.23@ 94 mph!!! We were stoked to say the least... I made some 18in collector extensions and I tweaked the Carb some and got it down to 7.0's.

That is my 461X heads story! The car is still running over 20 years later!
Andy, fuelies had good potential with grinding. Did you happen to flow those heads? Thanks, Charlie
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST

cuisinartvette
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1540
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:39 pm
Location: Valencia Ca

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by cuisinartvette » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:57 am

popular combo back then, didnt know the bosses were shaped like that
you ever run into issues with rust from the backside of the bowls when you work on them?

fdicrasto
Expert
Expert
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by fdicrasto » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:11 am

maxracesoftware wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 am
fdicrasto wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:32 pm
Of course the "64" on the last head of your first grouping was the only factory 2.02" and 1.6" valve configuration.
do you mean this Head in this Picture ??
i don't remember it having 2.020/1.600 Combo ?
i need to go back and measure the seat diameters
from memory , there were a few 400cid SBC Heads that had 1.940/1.600 combo instead of 1.940/1.500 combo .
This head was introduced in 1964 for the 365 hp-375 hp 327 engines. Factory 2.02"- 1.60" valves. Of course no screw in studs and were used only with the 11:1 solid lifter 30 30 cam. 1964-1965 Rochester"FI" and single 4 bbl AFB carb/ al. intake.

Image
by pamotorman » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 pm
should not there also be a X cast on the intake runner down inside the D shaped water passage??
i found a few #462 castings ... in the past , some of them had 461 cast in that triangle water passage ...
i guess it was same #461 waterjacket mold used in early #462's ???

i did look in the triangle water passages on the various #461's for the number 461 , but not looking for an "X" at that time ,
need to look again .... need to have all these Heads cleaned up again , some are rusting pretty bad :(

like an old Racer told me once : "Gravity sucks, and Rust never sleeps" :)

fdicrasto
Expert
Expert
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: 461X SBC Heads and other Rare SBC Heads

Post by fdicrasto » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:16 am

I kinda screwed up my response position but you can find my answer in there. Just above the pic.

Post Reply