General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ole4

Re: How do you calibrate a flow bench

Post by ole4 »

It is straight glass tube.
DSC01071.JPG
DSC01069.JPG
Also the internal orifice on my bench is not a calibrated orifice. It is sized depending on the max flow I expect to get at 100% of the scale which is 36 inches long. I use the PTS calculator to size the internal orifice so it will supply 16" H2o at a rating slightly above the max flow I calibrate to at 100 percent of the scale. The critical part is the calibration orifice that is taped down the settling chamber in my case it is a 112CFM 1.25 diameter sharp edged orifice. The flow at 28" is 112CFM and I adjust the manometer angle to get it to 100% of the scale at 28" of depression. The most these little heads will flow is slightly below 100 CFM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gnash

Post by gnash »

pcnsd wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:19 pm
That is interesting and follows my testing/calibration observations that within any given test orifice range selection, after calibration by square root of the sum of squares, (How I define my flow test plate CD) my low end flow always indicate higher flow than the calibration plate and my top end flow always indicate lower. I guess I have to wonder why this isn't addressed by the DM software. Does anyone use software with a single plate system that addresses the CD change with rising test pressure across the flow element?
I use Excel for doing conversions and stuff like port energy. Some of the electronics available have some kind of capability to send your testing data to Excel spreadsheet. I use the FP1 from Flow Performance. It does a good job working alongside Excel to do my conversions when I am using my flow bench.
302ford

Post by 302ford »

I would love to hear from Erland on this subject
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

I have 4 different calibration plates 67,7 - 191,1- 276,3 - 395,3.
That is what they should flow cinsidering their diameter.
My flow bench has a big settling chamber and after that a tube with pitot pipes in it.
I have tested the plates with the biggest flow cylinder that fitted the plates and sealed over and under the plates.
Then I have tested them in both directions.
After that I changed the flow constant of my bench a little to agree better with the plates, I lowered flow a bit if I remember correctly.
All plates are within less than 1% if their value in both directions.
All heads that I have tested flow less than claimed except MBE:s P/S head for Chevrolet which flowed exactely what MBE claims.

Erland