Cost of offset grinding a crank?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Cost of offset grinding a crank?

Post by PackardV8 »

liqu wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:25 pm I just had a stroke changed from 3.300 to 3.600 and welded the snout (loose key way) went to a 1.850 bearing,
total cost $450.00
Care to share the name of the shop which will do a .300" stroker crank for $450?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 »

we've got 3 amcs with offset ground cranks a 3.85 stroke 427 and 3.91 stroke 433 and a 3.80 stroke 418 all cost around 500 dollars for the offset grind and then your normal crank work. one positive side effect is your taking weight out the crank so it may require very little or no mallory to internally balance assuming your doing aftermarket rods and pistons.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I remember seeing a 3.5" stroke 350 sbc crank as a shelf item .
So much to do, so little time...
liqu

Post by liqu »

Hi, the crank I did is a 292 Ford (steel),

Castillo's Crankshaft
14654 1/2 Firestone Blvd.
La Mirada, CA 90638

Ph# 714 523 0321
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Kazoom wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:50 pm has anyone here also offset ground the main journals on cranks?

just wondering now about a 351W 4340 crank with 3.00" main size and offset grinding it to 2.75" main size

snout ???
Reducing a main journal is not "offset grinding" it is just grinding.

You can do it so long as the oil holes don't get too close to breaking through.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

There is a knowledgeable (sprint car background), offset crank grinder, in Redding CA that will still do it. A year ago, he quoted me $250 to do a .100 stroke (.050 off center), on a FH crank.

If there is any interest, let me know and I'll verify his pricing and post his info. He was simi retired last year and only worked 3 days a week.

There were only two other grinders, on the West coast, that would do offset grinding. Their pricing was $350 - 400, last year. I didn't keep their contact info but, one was in Southern/Central, CA and the other in the Northern PNW.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Beside Castillo I believe Marine crankshaft will offset forged cranks.Tom
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

The biggest cost of offset grinding is to the guy who owns the machine, it beats the crap out of the grinder with that interrupted cut. I used to do them until I noticed a lot of play in the wheelhead bearings. Fortunately I had a friend who was able to line bore the babbit bearings back to tight again and I never did another one. I wonder if shops that still do it have a beater machine to rough it out first.
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

MotionMachine wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 am The biggest cost of offset grinding is to the guy who owns the machine, it beats the crap out of the grinder with that interrupted cut. I used to do them until I noticed a lot of play in the wheelhead bearings. Fortunately I had a friend who was able to line bore the babbit bearings back to tight again and I never did another one. I wonder if shops that still do it have a beater machine to rough it out first.
I ran a large AMC 2500-U. Offset grinds were a cake walk for that monster. On our older smaller Storm Vulcan I could see it being harder on the machine.

My first offset grind was on a sbc 350 that had not spun, but just chewed the journal on the power stroke. It was a throwaway crank, but I was having fun. Got the top of the journal to clean in the last few thou and it was clear at -.060" under. cut the rest of the journals and figured out it would add 5 cubes to an engine and bring the pistons up in the bore .025" so no need to deck the block for improved quench. The total stroke was an increase of .050"

Sold that crank to a circle track racer and later he told me they had to recam and regear the car because it made a lot more power and they were running out of gear on the straights. Racers loved them because it would pass a pump test but it was clearly an improvement.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

2500.00 to offset grind a crankshaft Wow I have never payed anywhere close to that amount even in Oklahoma.And by the way if you call Castillo he’s been down for about a month.
looper

Post by looper »

Offset grinding on Berco's aren't bad to do, just slow. You can't use the steady rest to support the journal until your grinding a full 360 degrees. 20 years ago we used to grind 400 chevys to 350 mains, you could remove a lot of material fast grinding on center. But Interrupted grinding is slow. Ofcourse the price reflects the extra time.
looper
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

frnkeore wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:45 pm There is a knowledgeable (sprint car background), offset crank grinder, in Redding CA that will still do it. A year ago, he quoted me $250 to do a .100 stroke (.050 off center), on a FH crank...

"2500.00 to offset grind a crankshaft Wow I have never payed anywhere close to that amount even in Oklahoma..."

1972ho,
I think you slipped a decimal.. :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.