SBC two piece seal to one peice block adapter..

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

High 8's
SBC two piece seal to one peice block adapter..

Post by High 8's »

Have an engine with a one piece seal block and a two piece seal crank. Since day one it has leaked. Dropped the pan and looked at it, not much I can do without pulling the engine.:( The leak is getting worse and I need to do something. So my question is what should I do? The adapter is an early one but I don't remember who made it. Is any particular adapter better?

It milked the oil and I'm trying to figure out if it's the intake or a head gasket. So far it looks like the intake. But if I have to pull the engine anyway it's not a big consolation.

Al 62 Chevy II, 406, TH400, very narrow 9".
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC two piece seal to one peice block adapter..

Post by ProPower engines »

If the rear seal leaked it was not aligned properly when it was installed.
There is an alignment tool that is required to be used before the crank is installed to align the complete adapted to the block . Then the upper half is removed leaving the lower still bolted to the block to install the seal half in before laying the shaft in place. You can get them from Engine Quest separately from the adapter and I think Goodson sells it as well.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
High 8's

Post by High 8's »

Color me wrong. Pulled it apart some years back and changed the seal. Apparently I fixed that leak, it's leaking someplace different. Pulled the engine today because it milked the oil and I just wanted to have a look inside. Intake gasket failed at the front water port of the right head. Engine has been together for about 20 years. Looks good. One thing that has me a bit worried, 15 of the lash caps came right off, one will not?

Al
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

If they have a hole in the center they are just stuck from a bit of suction action between the valve tip and the ID of the lash cap which can be over come by rotating and lifting at the same time.
If that does not do it then its possible the valve tip may be a bit soft and has distorted and formed a tight fit to the ID of the lash cap. it may take a bit of work to loosen and remove but not impossible. A small stem seal slide hammed tool is what I use for stubborn lash cap removal. A similar tool will get the job done. Just don't try to push it off using the small hole and force it down the guide it may make matters worse [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors