Boostane testing on Demon

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

Boostane testing on Demon

Post by oldhead »

Its on YOU TUBE,,,,Dyno test says it worth 89 HP on demon, A little better then Sunoco race gas. Read it,can it be true????? Oldhead
Quicker then most
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Re: Boostane testing on Demon

Post by groberts101 »

The way my brain works to rationalize these kinds of additives is this. If it's really that good?.. why aren't all the pro race teams using it instead of spending many thousands more in race fuel over the entire race season?

Do they work?.. hell yes.. many do help. And besides running AVgas, years ago it's all some of us could do to keep our iron heads from burning down the higher compression engines on the street swill. 116 Octane final mix rating my ass though. :lol:

BTW.. here's the actual mfgr website.

https://boostane.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords ... gLKnvD_BwE
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

There are some good additives and if you compare them to the wrong fuel for your given combination then the power gain looks really good.

If the engine is built to operate specifically on pump gas then the gains or usually minimal.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

I am just a little guy interested in saving $50 dollars when I go to the track. Oldhead
Quicker then most
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

oldhead wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:10 pm I am just a little guy interested in saving $50 dollars when I go to the track. Oldhead
I know what you mean thats why I went back to building engines that run on pump gas and started selling race gas and nitrous on the side so I would have access to it at cost when needed, every little bit helps.

Some of these additive shine on boosted applications because you can raise your power level beyond pump gas, some of the boosted guys around here have had good luck with https://torcoracefuel.net/index.html
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Jagdpanzer
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Jagdpanzer »

There was a 4 part series recently on Engine Labs where they dyno tested all kinds of fuels and octane boosters including Boostane in supercharged C7 Corvette.
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/t ... ight-back/
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Jagdpanzer wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:11 pm There was a 4 part series recently on Engine Labs where they dyno tested all kinds of fuels and octane boosters including Boostane in supercharged C7 Corvette.
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/t ... ight-back/
This was presented here some time back in video form...Thats the test that made me start questioning fuel tests, they start with the worst fuel and tune and then present it as if each power gain was from the fuel when in reality if the car was tuned with the proper fuel to begin with then no fuel or additive would show an increase.

The test really shows why fuel should be part of the equation when planning a build.
Please Note!
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

GARY C wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:25 pm
oldhead wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:10 pm I am just a little guy interested in saving $50 dollars when I go to the track. Oldhead
I know what you mean thats why I went back to building engines that run on pump gas and started selling race gas and nitrous on the side so I would have access to it at cost when needed, every little bit helps.

Some of these additive shine on boosted applications because you can raise your power level beyond pump gas, some of the boosted guys around here have had good luck with https://torcoracefuel.net/index.html
There's quite a few people showing very similar results with Boostane vs. Torco with the added benefit of not leaving all the heavy orange phosphorous deposits on spark plugs, valves, and pistons. Supposedly Boostane's trick is it's chelated carrier that keeps the phosphorous in solution so it doesn't precipitate out, like you see in Torco. It means they can add less phosophorous and it stays equally distributed through the fuel.

Supposedly, if you like Torco, you'll like Boostane more because the orange phosphorous buildup occurs at a much slower rate.

Adam
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

I've been bit so many times trying the latest snake oil. The only thing I use is seafoam in the tank occasionally.

There have been only two times I've added anything to a tank and got results. Once was when I had access to Toulene (paint supply house). 5:1 gas/toulene seemed about best. The other was when I put some R/C glow plug fuel into a gokart. Gallon of 30% nitro/methanol blend with a gallon of gas and the thing practically did wheelies. Didn't last long but it was sure fun!
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Roundybout wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:47 pm I've been bit so many times trying the latest snake oil. The only thing I use is seafoam in the tank occasionally.

There have been only two times I've added anything to a tank and got results. Once was when I had access to Toulene (paint supply house). 5:1 gas/toulene seemed about best. The other was when I put some R/C glow plug fuel into a gokart. Gallon of 30% nitro/methanol blend with a gallon of gas and the thing practically did wheelies. Didn't last long but it was sure fun!
I like wheelies!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Roundybout wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:47 pm I've been bit so many times trying the latest snake oil. The only thing I use is seafoam in the tank occasionally.

A power additive must increase the heat energy of the fuel per unit air that is burned. All normal fuel hydrocarbons, including all race fuels produce the same specific energy within a window of about 2%. Yet some do make more power but for other reasons.

Race fuels produce about 1265 BTU/lb air. Toluene = 1299 BTU/lb air, an increase of about 2%. It does change the air/fuel ratio, which may be either good or bad.

R/C fuels are typically a mixture of nitromethane and methanol. Nitro is 52.4% oxygen while methanol is 49.9% oxygen.
By adding a mixture of nitro and methanol we have modified the volumetric efficiency of the engine; we have ingested more oxygen and must now add substantially more fuel to compensate. For what its worth, nitro has a specific energy of 2049 BTU/lb while methanol = 1328 BTU/lb. A 50/50 mix added to gasoline would produce a specific energy of 1478 BTU/lb air; an increase in specific power of 17%, not counting changes in VE and charge density.

Even though we know the fuel energy, fuel stoich needed, flame speed and flame temperature, we still cannot accurately predict performance increases (or destruction) due to the remaining unknown variables.

We can't even race dynos against one another.