Billet cam & distibutor gear

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Billet cam & distibutor gear

Post by 77cruiser »

Is there a better option than bronze, heard of too short of life span.
How about these? http://www.lunatipower.com/ProductGroup ... 243&cid=43
Jim
blykins
Guru
Guru

Re: Billet cam & distibutor gear

Post by blykins »

Steel....
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

This is a interesting topic to me....

What does the experts on here have to say about Composite gears?
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

Don't try to run a oil pump with a composite gear! The GM "melonized" drive gear is a good piece or there used to be hybrid cam cores with billet lobes and cast iron gears made for a while....don't know if they are still done. The GM distributor gear can be bored out for a MSD 0.500" shaft in a lathe.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

77cruiser wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm Is there a better option than bronze, heard of too short of life span.
How about these? http://www.lunatipower.com/ProductGroup ... 243&cid=43
If they offer one for your distributor, they are a good option however, They only offer a few.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

ZEOHSIX wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:09 pm Don't try to run a oil pump with a composite gear! The GM "melonized" drive gear is a good piece or there used to be hybrid cam cores with billet lobes and cast iron gears made for a while....don't know if they are still done. The GM distributor gear can be bored out for a MSD 0.500" shaft in a lathe.
The GM Melonized is the one that I have used with a couple of cams now and they always seem to stand up very well.
And I had them both bored for the bigger shaft.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Only reason I'm looking is I can get a good deal on a cam, but it's all billet.
I've read the composite gears are iffy.
If I ordered a new cam I would get it with the iron gear like the other on I have.
Jim
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I’ve read a LOT of reviews about the composite gears wearing out in as little as 1000 miles. Not really an option for street use IMO. Doesn’t a standard steel gear work with a billet cam? Lots of options there if that is the case.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

77cruiser wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:49 pm Only reason I'm looking is I can get a good deal on a cam, but it's all billet.
I've read the composite gears are iffy.
If I ordered a new cam I would get it with the iron gear like the other on I have.
It depends on what steel the cam is made out of is.
I have not had luck running a melonized gear with 8620 steel cams(Carborized), but they work great with 1050 or 1055 steel(Induction hardened).
The Everwear gears seem to work with every steel we've run them on.
Crane also offers a coated steel gear for some applications that work with any steel cam.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Jim
Cutlassefi

Post by Cutlassefi »

Wow, it seems some don't know what they're buying, or selling. :roll:
Most all the hyd roller cam cores used by Comp and Lunati aren't steel billet at all. They're SADI (Select Austempered Ductile Iron) cores and work just fine with melonized distributor gears. It's a proprietary core offered ONLY by them.

Hope this helps.
Engine Builder, Accel, AEM, Comp, Erson, Holley, and Lunati Dealer
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Why do they want you to use the composite gear? A bronze tipped fuel pump rod? Only roller I bought was billet with a pressed on iron gear.
Jim
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Dont know about for street use, but I put a composite in a SBC rock crawler engine 3 or 4 years ago & it is still going. Standard volume oil pump.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Cutlassefi wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:09 pm Wow, it seems some don't know what they're buying, or selling. :roll:
Most all the hyd roller cam cores used by Comp and Lunati aren't steel billet at all. They're SADI (Select Austempered Ductile Iron) cores and work just fine with melonized distributor gears. It's a proprietary core offered ONLY by them.

Hope this helps.
SADI cores are available to all cam companies from either Engine Power Components or Camshaft Machine Co.
Most performance cam companies don't use them, because they wear prematurely with the more aggressive lobes and spring setups.
Comp and Lunati sell them, because they're half the price of a billet steel core.
You can order any hydr roller cam from Comp, on a steel core, you just have to ask, and be willing to pay more.
I believe the cams on the SADI cores have a part# that ends in an 8, and the steel cores end in a 9, but I'm not sure.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

CamKing wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:38 pm SADI cores are available to all cam companies from either Engine Power Components or Camshaft Machine Co.
Most performance cam companies don't use them, because they wear prematurely with the more aggressive lobes and spring setups.
Comp and Lunati sell them, because they're half the price of a billet steel core.
You can order any hydr roller cam from Comp, on a steel core, you just have to ask, and be willing to pay more.
What gears do you typically recommend for your cams, Mike?

Reason I ask is I just bought a new hydro roller piece of yours from a member here and forgot to ask you about the alloy used and what gear is needed to keep everything happy and long lived.

Thanks, Greg