Edelbrock AVS2

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

amc fan
Pro
Pro
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 am
Location: BETHLEHEM PENNA.

Edelbrock AVS2

Post by amc fan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Anyone try the new AVS2 with annular boosters?

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2913
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by cjperformance » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm

amc fan wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 pm
Anyone try the new AVS2 with annular boosters?
Yes only 1 as yet , on a mild street 351SBF. Worked spot on OOTB with just an idle mix and speed tweek. Drives really well and plugs look nice but will be fitting a wide band o2 soon so will get another look at it then.
Craig.

Powertrip
Pro
Pro
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:09 am
Location: North West Indiana

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by Powertrip » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:26 pm

I asked Edelbrock last year if they were coming out with any new carburetors, they lied. :x Would be nice if they came out with a Victor series of carbs, high flow, no chokes, and annular boosters.
The price of progress is trouble.

amc fan
Pro
Pro
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 am
Location: BETHLEHEM PENNA.

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by amc fan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:43 pm

I was wondering if they will sell the boosters separately, and if they will fit older carbs for a performance upgrade.

novadude
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: Shippensburg, PA

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by novadude » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Powertrip wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:26 pm
I asked Edelbrock last year if they were coming out with any new carburetors, they lied. :x Would be nice if they came out with a Victor series of carbs, high flow, no chokes, and annular boosters.
Would be even better if they would just forget about the AFB clones and bring back the Q-jets they manufactured for a brief period. :D

stealth
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1022
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:37 am

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by stealth » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am

Wow....only 30 years behind Holley with this “new” booster....
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Geoff2
Expert
Expert
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:36 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by Geoff2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 am

The original design of the AFB/Edelbrock booster was so good, they didn't need to change the design 30 years later to match a Holley Annular Booster......

A mate bought the new AVS2, & I had a close look at it. Edel have very cleverly done the AB modification, & looks like they used the original booster. They simple bored out the venturi ring & fitted a narrow sleeve with annular holes. I doubt that air flow will be reduced by much, unlike brand H & clones....
If anything airflow might be increased slightly because there is no nozzle protruding into the air stream. A very comprehensive tuning manual came with the carb.

Personally, I think these AB Edel carbs are more of a marketing gimmick & I doubt there will much, if any, improvement in throttle response. The efficient original booster design, air bleed & compact well design, coupled with the close proximity of the main jets, gives them great throttle response.

shiftbyear
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:30 am

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by shiftbyear » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:05 am

I called the Edelbrock tech line and asked if they planned on selling the booster separately. They flat out said "NO". They didn't give a reason.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7233
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by pdq67 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:50 am

Years ago, I was so hoping that E-Brock would become our old carb. go to company!

Them having all of them except Holley's.

Q-Jet's, AFB's, AVS's, Thermo-Quad's, Stromberg 94's and 97's, Carter 2G's and 2GC's, WCFB's, the odd Autolite's and such, but it wasn't meant to be with the Q-Jet getting thrown away!

I think Speedy Bill ended up with the Stromberg's and they sell for a pound of flesh!

pdq67

mbrooks
Expert
Expert
Posts: 847
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Kansas, USA

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by mbrooks » Sat May 26, 2018 10:13 am

cjperformance wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm
amc fan wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 pm
Anyone try the new AVS2 with annular boosters?
Yes only 1 as yet , on a mild street 351SBF. Worked spot on OOTB with just an idle mix and speed tweek. Drives really well and plugs look nice but will be fitting a wide band o2 soon so will get another look at it then.
I'm looking at doing this carb on either a 408 or 351, did you get the O2 sensor hooked up and how did it read? Thx

Tired of dickin with the holleys.

Diodedog
Member
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by Diodedog » Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 am

stealth wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am
Wow....only 30 years behind Holley with this “new” booster....
And 60 years ahead of Holley making a carb that doesn't leak and doesn't warp.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3792
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan (just north of Detroit)
Contact:

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by Walter R. Malik » Sat May 26, 2018 11:00 am

Diodedog wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 am
stealth wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am
Wow....only 30 years behind Holley with this “new” booster....
And 60 years ahead of Holley making a carb that doesn't leak and doesn't warp.
If they would simply design a high-flow air horn for the AFB style, without metering rods for the race only crowd.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.

travis
Pro
Pro
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:31 am

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by travis » Sat May 26, 2018 11:21 am

Diodedog wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 am
stealth wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am
Wow....only 30 years behind Holley with this “new” booster....
And 60 years ahead of Holley making a carb that doesn't leak and doesn't warp.
Hmmm...so it’s not just me then

Schurkey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by Schurkey » Sat May 26, 2018 4:47 pm

novadude wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:01 pm
Would be even better if they would just forget about the AFB clones and bring back the Q-jets they manufactured for a brief period. :D
I think there is zero chance of that.

Story I heard is that the Edelbrock Q-Jets only existed because Carter had Q-jet molds 'n' dies 'n' tooling from years of "Quadrajet by Carter" sub-contracting to GM. When Edelbrock contracted with Weber for the AFB and AVS designs, the Q-jets kind of came along for the ride.

When the Q-jets were discontinued by Edelbrock, the Carter-based dies and tooling were destroyed. Nobody is going to re-create that tooling, so unless GM has--and is willing to part with--Rochester Q-Jet tooling, the Q-jet is done forever.

Cliff Ruggles was not overly impressed with the Edelbrock Q-jets, noting that the calibration changed even though part numbers remained the same. I think there were also various issues with QA, although it seems to me that a new casting is going to have advantages over forty-year old castings.

cjperformance
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2913
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by cjperformance » Sat May 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Walter R. Malik wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:00 am
Diodedog wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 am
stealth wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am
Wow....only 30 years behind Holley with this “new” booster....
And 60 years ahead of Holley making a carb that doesn't leak and doesn't warp.
If they would simply design a high-flow air horn for the AFB style, without metering rods for the race only crowd.
That would be great!
Craig.

Post Reply