Stumped with backfire from carburator

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

claysmoker
Re: Stumped with backfire from carburator

Post by claysmoker »

Does anyone else see some detonation flecks on those plugs in the last photo? And does the strap look like maybe there's too much timing?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

When I looked at the video I could tell that you painted the engine components separately and then bolted everything together. Is it possible that you applied paint to the spark plug thread area inadvertently? Try a thread chaser and use the material below:
Post by Warp Speed » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:21 pm. We use Coposlip high temp anti-sieze on the threads of all of our spark plugs. We have done extensive testing with Bosch on this, and this is about the only lube that provides the best grounding and temp transfer, while still providing the needed lubrication
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

huero wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:46 am Runs and drives well. Coughs hot or cold.
Tried timing at 8-18 dtdc and verified timing mark
pumped gas pedal before start still no help
White mist from carb after shut off means that carb is boiling. Are you using mechanical or electric fuel pump? With mechanical you are lean at start as carb is boiled it's fuel off.
huero

Post by huero »

Mechanical fuel pump. Have a 1/2” phenolic spacer. Bowls are not hot to the touch
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

huero wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:27 am Mechanical fuel pump. Have a 1/2” phenolic spacer. Bowls are not hot to the touch
Bowls stay cool as long as there's fuel to evaporate. Bowl can also leak and fuel is evaporating in intake.

If you cut ignition off and start few seconds to fill up bowl and start then you see if problem is empty carb.
va454ss

Post by va454ss »

After you shut it off, look down into the carb and see if its leaking around the squirters.
huero

Post by huero »

No fuel leaking past the squirters. But I am looking into the fuel system carefully.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

huero wrote:Idles nice, engine revs nice but on start up (cold or warm) the engine backfires out of the carb. No fire just fuel. Ignition can be set anywhere from 12-18 btdc and the engine reacts the same.
In one of your videos there are momentary glimpses of the spark plug wires to the 2-4-6-8 bank being ziptied together and run parallel and in direct contact with each other for an extended distance. This could cause spark loss as the wire intended to fire is inducing a current in a parallel wire or wires. Spark loss could help explain why unburned fuel is being aspirated from the carb.

Try separating the wires.

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:44 am When I looked at the video I could tell that you painted the engine components separately and then bolted everything together. Is it possible that you applied paint to the spark plug thread area inadvertently? Try a thread chaser and use the material below:
Post by Warp Speed » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:21 pm. We use Coposlip high temp anti-sieze on the threads of all of our spark plugs. We have done extensive testing with Bosch on this, and this is about the only lube that provides the best grounding and temp transfer, while still providing the needed lubrication
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
huero

Post by huero »

I will work on separating the wires. I thought insulation on modern wires was sufficient. Thank u
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Non-conductive insulation doesn't suppress radio frequency interference. The magnetic field around one secondary wire can induce voltage in another if it runs parallel to the first.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
huero

Post by huero »

Separated wires, still coughing. Talked to my carb builder. It maybe the carb. I’ll fill everyone in when I get an update.
huero

Post by huero »

Gentlemen, we found the problem!!!!!!!! Actually, my carb builder did.
And I am so mad I could not find such a simple error.
The car is a 56 Chevy and it was originally wired with points and ballast resistor (separate wires). I had a switched 12V wire source to the distributor but not a 12V ignition switched and ignition crank source!!!!
So there was no voltage going to the distributor when cranking the engine over!! I am so upset that I could not diagnose the problem and chased my tail for so long! #-o
I want to thank everyone that tried to help. I feel so foolish. I am new to tri-fives and didn't realize how they were wired. Now I have to find out how to wire the distributor to the ignition switch as it appears there is no 12V run and crank wire. They are separate wires.
Does anyone know if I can join these two wires together and feed it to the distributor + terminal and not damage the distributor? Is this safe?
Thank you all again.
I am so glad this is over!!!
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

huero wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:44 pm Gentlemen, we found the problem!!!!!!!! Actually, my carb builder did.
And I am so mad I could not find such a simple error.
The car is a 56 Chevy and it was originally wired with points and ballast resistor (separate wires). I had a switched 12V wire source to the distributor but not a 12V ignition switched and ignition crank source!!!!
So there was no voltage going to the distributor when cranking the engine over!! I am so upset that I could not diagnose the problem and chased my tail for so long! #-o
I want to thank everyone that tried to help. I feel so foolish. I am new to tri-fives and didn't realize how they were wired. Now I have to find out how to wire the distributor to the ignition switch as it appears there is no 12V run and crank wire. They are separate wires.
Does anyone know if I can join these two wires together and feed it to the distributor + terminal and not damage the distributor? Is this safe?
Thank you all again.
I am so glad this is over!!!
That makes perfect sense. I did a couple of Tri-5s and we often swapped out the ignition switch to get cranking power. It'd basically try to fire as you released the key

I cannot remember for the life of me why we didn't just pick up off the solenoid, but there must have been a reason
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
sidestep

Post by sidestep »

On a 55-56 Chevy ignition switch you have to run a small jumper from ign1 - ign2 if you eliminate the ballast resistor, Chevy trifive.com for an original wiring diagram for a 56, you'll see how they wired it.
huero

Post by huero »

sidestep wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 pm On a 55-56 Chevy ignition switch you have to run a small jumper from ign1 - ign2 if you eliminate the ballast resistor, Chevy trifive.com for an original wiring diagram for a 56, you'll see how they wired it.
Done!! I actually wired it using a relay. To not stress the original old wiring. Car fires right up every time!!! Thank you all!