Bottom end checks after massive piston to valve contact.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AC sports
Pro
Pro
Bottom end checks after massive piston to valve contact.

Post by AC sports »

Well like it says! In line, 8 valve, 4 cyl. Quite healthy output. Something went wrong up top and the no. 1 exh valve contacted the piston and bent like a banana. Lucky they are 1 piece and didn't drop their head. All other exh valves bent too but not like no.1.
Piston tops show obvious signs of contact but not too bad. I mean they will clean up with needle files. My question is, when this happens what bottom end checks are the norm. I'm guessing I got to take the pistons out and look for cracking in the pin boss area, rods ? The piston decks are all equal. Rod bearings? Would people change these if they looked ok? Engine has only done 1000 miles. Main bearings? Crank? Where do you draw the line?
Anything else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Bottom end checks after massive piston to valve contact.

Post by mag2555 »

And what was your piston to valve clearance at room temp?
Have you checked the springs for pressure that came off that badly bent valve compared to the others that only bent somewhat?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Sorry for the bad luck. What I would do is a full disassembly and mag of each part, block, crank, rods, pistons, bores, main webs, cam and lifters. Every moving part that may have been effected by the collision. Crank and rods must be checked for straightess. I would also look deeply into the causes. Possible valve train overrun which caused valve spring overheating and loss of load?
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Amilcar
Pro
Pro

Post by Amilcar »

AC sports wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:19 am Well like it says! In line, 8 valve, 4 cyl. Quite healthy output. Something went wrong up top and the no. 1 exh valve contacted the piston and bent like a banana. Lucky they are 1 piece and didn't drop their head. All other exh valves bent too but not like no.1.
Piston tops show obvious signs of contact but not too bad. I mean they will clean up with needle files. My question is, when this happens what bottom end checks are the norm. I'm guessing I got to take the pistons out and look for cracking in the pin boss area, rods ? The piston decks are all equal. Rod bearings? Would people change these if they looked ok? Engine has only done 1000 miles. Main bearings? Crank? Where do you draw the line?
Anything else?

Looking at that massive lack of clearence only on one valve, sounds like the this valve did sticked to the guide, don`t you think?
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

Plenty of overrevs and exhaust valves always look pretty much like that. This engine probably is HEMI-headed as there seems to be pretty big angle between valve and piston to bend valve that way.

Valve to piston contact usually do nothing for bottom end but overrevs that caused that might - but when I played with high revving 4-bangers usually just fixed top end, and it newer backfired.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Is this a DOHC engine?
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Look at the rod bearing in the fork of the rods. If it's squashed, keep checking. If it's not, don't.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Check the piston skirts, I've seen them get bent by P-V contact before. In street applications, it mostly just results in some righteously loud piston slap.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

This was a DOHC engine. Hemi type head hence the angle.
No over rev. Was only doing 5-5500 rpm.
The valve didn't actually drop. It was still quite solidly attached by its collets. I had to cut the retainer to free the springs and valve. Which means it could have seized in the guide but can't be 100% sure cause the valve clearance adjusting shim was also broken in half. It's quite thick at 4.5mm though, so not highly likely but still possible. Valve springs actually all spec out correctly. So have to rule that out .
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Shim over bucket?
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Yes shim over bucket.
20180223_162806.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Valve spring probably lost tension, THAT valve floated...& you know the rest...
integrale Evo

Post by integrale Evo »

Carnut1 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 am Sorry for the bad luck.
It isn't bad luck.

Is this the same engine featured here a few weeks ago or a different one?
1. Valve to piston clearance?
2. What is the relevant recent history of it?
3. What valve springs?
4. What cam lift in and ex?
5. Valve lift at TDC in & ex?
6. Had the guides been replaced? If so whose and what were they?

It doesn't look like a massive collision really, i'd check rod bearings at both ends, rods for straight and crank for the same initially moving on to the lesser likely areas.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'm still wondering how the OP gets those valves to hang upside down on the shelf!!!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Krooser wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:11 am I'm still wondering how the OP gets those valves to hang upside down on the shelf!!!
Valve Float....................
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire